What PT parts can fit a Neon?

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power using different springs, upgrading to coilovers, questions on swaybars, bushings, different rotors, pads, ect... Having any steering problems or questions about steering racks, tie rods, tie rod ends, ect... ask these questions here.
AdioSS
2GN Member

What PT parts can fit a Neon?

Post by AdioSS » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:08 pm

I’m trying to lift the front of a 2000 Plymouth Neon a bit. The car currently has PT size tires all around that rub up front. I found a local who is parting out a 2001 PT that still has the front suspension.

I found this...
occasional demons wrote:
Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:01 pm
None of them will fit.

Unfortunately BRR's pics no longer work, but believe me, the PT crossmember will not fit a neon.

http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=47398

Only the front sway bar, and the lower control arms are simple bolt ons. The knuckles and brakes will also work, but you need to install it all as a whole. Basically the same as installing SRT-4 front brakes/knuckles onto a regular neon. It is a package deal.

Remember the PT platform was only (loosely) based on the PL platform, there are only a handful of parts that are actually compatible. And less that are exactly the same.
So, what parts does the PT have that might be compatible?
Cheston
2000 Plymouth Neon SOHC ATX
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: What PT parts can fit a Neon?

Post by occasional demons » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:23 pm

Mainly the parts above, probably the steering wheel, although I don't know that any cruise control stuff on a PT is compatible with the neon, since the control pods work on resistor values. those values are different between 1st gen and 2gn neons, so it would not surprise me if it was also different there too.

The wheels are swappable.

Rear hubs.

If you were to do an engine swap, the PT brackets, etc will work in the neon. Depending on the year of PT, will depend on if the engine will run in a 2002 older neon. Anything 2003 up would require 2003 up neon engine bay harness and PCM. If your sig is still current, being you have a 2000 model year...

But the oil pan, engine mount/accessory brackets, exhaust manifold would all be good for swapping a 2002 or older 2.4 into a 2000 to 2002 neon.

If the PT is not turbocharged, the transaxle will fit, but mostly if it is an MTX. The 41te ATX would require using a 2002 engine bay harness, TCM, and PCM.

Probably far more trouble finding that stuff than it is worth. And the 31th in the 2000/2001 will about last forever with proper care and feeding...

There may be a few misc interior parts from in the dash, like the HVAC controls behind the bezel.

The reality is, they took parts based from the PT suspension to make the front suspension for the SRT4. There is just not much that is compatible with a regular neon. So in a way, they based the SRT off of the PT, and not the PT off the neon. They are not even the same platform. The neon is the PL platform, and the PT Cruiser is the PT platform.

Export PT's do share the 2.0 engine, and I think the smaller 1.8 for different export markets. But even the 2.0 used in the exports was not a SOHC, it was a DOHC. AFAIK, the 1.8's were SOHC.

There isn't much out there in the way of lifting a neon. You could use SRT springs, but they don't really raise it too much, they just are stiffer, so it does not dip as much on bumps, etc. The strut travel is what is going to keep it from going any higher. Coilovers are all made to lower it, even at their highest adjustment.

If you really wanted to get creative/brave, you could cut the tops of the strut tower, and move them down, so the front sits higher. I would not go any more than needed, as the angles on the CV joints could be too much for any kind of lifespan. Dropping the engine transaxle to match so the CV angles are better would take much more effort.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:47 pm

Thank you. Yes, my sig is up to date. I actually filled it out after posting that above.

I’ve read that switching to SRT struts will lift the front about an inch & allow additional clearance for bigger tires. Finding STT specific struts isn’t turning out to be easy. Considering how they used PT parts for the SRT suspension, I’m hoping that the PT struts will do what I’m wanting. That is, if they’ll even bolt in? The tires that came on the car appear to be stock PT size.

And I watched the video of Ed Peters talking about using PT knuckles & front brakes as an upgrade for the Neon.
Cheston
2000 Plymouth Neon SOHC ATX
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:39 am

I honestly don't know about the PT struts.

I don't know that a parts store would open a box to compare the differences.

Maybe some of the parts store/manufacturer web sites have some kind of dimensional specs on them.

The spring perch is mounted higher on SRT struts, but I don't know that the strut rod will travel upward any higher than a regular neon strut. Considering the LCA's are identical as far as dimensions, they wouldn't want to mess with the geometry. The only real reason the regular neon may sit higher from SRT struts/springs, is the weight difference. With regular springs, possibly the spring being compressed a little more will increase the normal height spring rate a little.

Given the upward travel limit is not at full travel with the weight of the car on it, there is still some height to be gained. You certainly wouldn't want to drive around with them maxed out at the top, as I doubt the CV joints would last.

If the PT/neon struts are close enough, maybe try to see what the spring rate is for the PT springs.

I had SRT springs on regular neon struts, and it didn't raise the front much over normal. The rear was actually a little lower. it sat with a pretty level rake. But the ride was a lot more controlled.

From Advance Auto:

neon Monroe strut
Compressed Length: 12 in
Extended Length: 18 in

PT Monroe strut
Compressed Length: 12 in
Extended Length: 18 in

So it would appear nothing to gain there. Spring rates and dampening rates would be the only possible difference.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Suspension, Steering & Brakes”