No VIN so probably not a good idea

Trying to sell your Neon and want to get the word out, maybe someone on here would like to buy it from you. Post your Forsale Ad here.
Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

No VIN so probably not a good idea

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:20 am

This car is not mine. 1997 green Dodge sedan. I see this Neon every day on my job but, since I'm on the clock when I drive by it, I don't have the time to get the VIN. It's south of Monticello, on the west side of US 421/ IN-39, just north of West Co. Rd. 850 North. Someone might want to take a look. According to a sign posted by it, it has 26K miles and they are asking $3,500 for it.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Re: 1GN FS south of Monticello, IN

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:04 am

Car was still there today. Won't someone give it a good home?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:29 pm

Unfortunately, finding a buyer for that price could be tough.

Unless you get special insurance, getting standard car insurance to even insure a 21 year old car for full coverage, other than a loan, and actually paying that in the event of total loss might be tougher.

Not sure if a bank would loan that much either... If they feel the car isn't worth it. Most banks won't loan under $2000, so even if you pay half in cash, they won't loan you the balance. Kind of a nice catch 22.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:44 am

I've spoken with the owner's wife. The car has sat inside in storage for most of its life, hence the non-cheap price. It was involved in an accident years ago but the husband bought another Neon and used its parts for repairs. Any more information, one would need to stop in themselves and ask as I am on the clock when I drive by and can't justify stopping more than the one time that I did.

UPDATED to correct grammar error.

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:15 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:44 am
It was involved in a accident years ago...
It really stinks, I know, and it's not fair, I know, but you already know what I'm going to say about the price.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:11 pm

jonnymopar wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:15 pm
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:44 am
It was involved in a accident years ago...
It really stinks, I know, and it's not fair, I know, but you already know what I'm going to say about the price.
It's priced not to sell.

If they really wanted to part with it...

And face it, the market for neons isn't exactly booming. The only way I was able to sell our '96 was to trick someone into actually driving it. They weren't really interested in it before that. Of course the ported head and valve body mods to the 31th helped matters a bit.

Granted, it wasn't a beauty, but it was still fairly solid bodywise, and I was only asking $500. I sure I could have gotten closer to $800, but I didn't want to wait forever to get it off the lawn.

I got the $500, and I still see it every now and then, so the buyer got his money's worth. If a $500 car can make it a year and a half, and beyond, you did pretty good IMHO.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:49 am

occasional demons wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:11 pm
It's priced not to sell.

If they really wanted to part with it...
Right... this is why the family has the car sitting in their front yard for a few months now. :roll:
occasional demons wrote:And face it, the market for neons isn't exactly booming.
And I read on this forum frequently how people who buy our cars are not the usual car buyers. This car is a good example of what people who are looking for 1GNs are searching for.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Re: No VIN so probably not a good idea

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:15 pm

UPDATE- I stopped by there today to copy down the VIN but the owner has business cards wedged in over the VIN plate. This makes me think that something isn't right so I no longer suggest someone buying this car.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:41 pm

Most likely to keep scammers from copying the VIN, and trying to sell the car on line. Criminals try it all the time, and also copy VIN's from on line postings to scam people. But the flip side is, in most states, it is also illegal to have your VIN covered. Kind of a damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Hiding the VIN also would keep someone from running a car fax on it, without their knowledge, so they couldn't bend the truth on condition before buying. But of course Car Fax is only as reliable as reported issues, so it isn't really that accurate. My Subaru comes back clean as whistle, but it is/was obvious it wasn't when I bought it. There was no hiding the obvious damages. But it was a sacrificial winter car, to preserve the neon, so it wasn't a huge concern. Sadly it has less (zero) rust progression than the neon that is sitting in the garage, not being out in the elements.

But for the asking price of that neon, I would want a vehicle report of some sort, just in case.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:47 pm

I was really disappointed as I wanted to run the VIN on that site that BRR provided so that I could post all of the details about the car. It makes me sad to drive by it every day, sitting out in the weather after being inside for most of its life (well, according to the owner's wife). Oh well, I tried.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:10 pm

Not 26,000 miles, but a more realistic price.

https://binghamton.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 75127.html

This is a neons.org member's car.

https://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=420716
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Cars For SALE”