moisture in taillight. is it waterproof if i remove lens?

Got a question on outside appearance modifications. Questions about body kits, exterior lighting, just anything thats a visual mod on the "exterior" of the car. Ask those questions here.
cgneon
2GN Member

moisture in taillight. is it waterproof if i remove lens?

Post by cgneon » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:02 pm

it poured ass rain here a couple weeks ago, and i guess it was finally too much for my passenger taillight, im gettin moisture in there and it wont go away. pic below.

a: how hard is it to get the plastic cover off of there safely..
(assuming i can is it a PITA to resilicon and reinstall?)
b: could i just leave it off?, or would that look stupid? are the individual lenses waterproof?,
(i think ive seen ppl leave them off for a 3d effect, but cant find any pics to see what it would look like.)

c: if i did leave it off, if its not waterproof, do those lenses pop out so i can silicon them individually?, would that be a potential fire hazard, hot bulbs and silicon? (i could always switch to LED bulbs i suppose)

d: if all else fails, i have stock ones to put back on just in case

any thoughts or ideas welcome..

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000082

kplaya186
2GN Member

Re: moisture in taillight. is it waterproof if i remove lens

Post by kplaya186 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:08 pm

aquariuskid2001 wrote:it poured ass rain here a couple weeks ago, and i guess it was finally too much for my passenger taillight, im gettin moisture in there and it wont go away. pic below.

a: how hard is it to get the plastic cover off of there safely..
(assuming i can is it a PITA to resilicon and reinstall?)
b: could i just leave it off?, or would that look stupid? are the individual lenses waterproof?,
(i think ive seen ppl leave them off for a 3d effect, but cant find any pics to see what it would look like.)

c: if i did leave it off, if its not waterproof, do those lenses pop out so i can silicon them individually?, would that be a potential fire hazard, hot bulbs and silicon? (i could always switch to LED bulbs i suppose)

d: if all else fails, i have stock ones to put back on just in case

any thoughts or ideas welcome..

It happens with those taillights. I had the same exact taillights as you did, and that problem did arise. I actually tried to take them off and dry them out with a blow drier, left them out in the sun too. None of those techniques worked. It just took a little bit of time for the moisture to take care of it self. Once it does clear up inside the light you might want to take a look to find any place you could seal up with silicone sealer.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:45 pm

Put em in the oven at 250 for about 8 minutes and pry the outer lense off with a butter knife or flat head. Silcone the lense back on.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

cgneon
2GN Member

Post by cgneon » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:06 pm

seriously, put them in the oven?, that wont mess up the rest of the housing?..

still would like to hear from someone who left the lens off, cuz if i mess something up i might color match over the fake carbon fiber, and leave the 3d effect....
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000082

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:33 pm

aquariuskid2001 wrote:seriously, put them in the oven?, that wont mess up the rest of the housing?..

still would like to hear from someone who left the lens off, cuz if i mess something up i might color match over the fake carbon fiber, and leave the 3d effect....
Thats what haknslash does to his retrofits. :roll:
PM Krackstar he has the 3d Altezzas.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

deep1ca
2GN Member

Post by deep1ca » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:56 am

Yeah i need info on this too. I ordered a set of tail lights that I want to do the 3d mod on. So how exactly do we remove the lense?

Krackstar help us out.

Frizbe
2GN Member

Post by Frizbe » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:11 am

Option D is the best bet I think.
Justin- I have nothing but smart ass remarks to add.
:-s
Fire_Hippo wrote:Frizbe, you rock my socks.
- Jeff's girlfriend

Return to “Exterior”