Full Body Paint Job

Got a question on outside appearance modifications. Questions about body kits, exterior lighting, just anything thats a visual mod on the "exterior" of the car. Ask those questions here.
DuhNeon179
2GN Member

Full Body Paint Job

Post by DuhNeon179 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:17 am

What would be an estimate. I got a full mopar lip kit but the front bumper is red, the side skirts are white and the rear bumper is white, so want to wait to get a paint job before I put it on, but I can't seem to get any estimates to these paint jobs. I heard 3K - 6K to $500. I was hoping maybe anybody here got a full body paint job. It's got a few scratches in the back because some asshole wasn't paying attention and hit me while i was at a traffic light. and the previous owner spray painted scratches and it turned out black on the sides. So I was wondering how much it would cost for a full body Paint Job. No graphics or anything

jT
2GN Member

Post by jT » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:38 am

people here will tell you to stay away from anything less than $2-3K.. like maaco's $200-300 deal.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:03 am

Without knowing your location its going to be difficult.

There are also other factors, like are you getting a color change?

Your best bet is to go to a local auto body shop. I assume by your post that you have tried, but were unsuccessful. That doesn't make much sense to me that shops wouldn't want to quote a job. If you were calling and asking go there in person.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:32 am

racer12306 wrote: If you were calling and asking go there in person.
:withstupid:

When my car was totalled, I only found one place that would come to my residence and give me an estimate. The rest wanted me to pay to have it towed to them. :thefinger:

And guess what? All but a few of them have sunk do to the economy. Serves them right. This was only a year ago, when you would Think they would do what it takes to bring in business.

But being that yours is prolly road legal, there shouldn't be an issue taking it there. None will quote anything with out seeing it.

I paid $2500, but that was for the bodywork, and a crappy job painting it. You also have to wiegh how much you are willing to risk, if it does get totalled. You will not get out of it what you have in it. They will consider paint as "maintenance" You may get some extra for the added parts tho.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:09 am

Are you changing colors or staying with the original color of the car? Is there any body damage that needs to be repaired outside of the scratches? Are you having them install these pieces once the car is painted?

All of that feeds into how much it would/will cost you.

DuhNeon179
2GN Member

Post by DuhNeon179 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:12 am

I live in New Jersey and no im staying with the same color

Tam
2GN Member

Post by Tam » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:45 pm

Would you consider doing it yourself for $50 with a roller? lol

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:47 pm

Since you're staying with the same color the work is significantly less involved. And it should only cost 2500-3k maybe more. Depends if the shop removes EVERYTHING from the car as they are supposed to.

excon
2GN Member

Post by excon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:36 pm

Maaco does a good job if you don't mind your new "stock" color being drastically different from what you had... They charged me around $800-$900 to paint the whole car.

I like the new color they painted it, but it's definitely MANY shades darker and is not the stock PBJ (you can tell if you compare the color on the inside that they didn't paint). If you're getting the whole car painted, it'll look...alright. If you're getting bits and pieces sprayed the "stock" color, STAY AWAY.

glasswars
2GN Veteran

Post by glasswars » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:29 am

where are you from in nj?
thisishalcyon.com
@halcyonphoto

kornholio788
2GN Member

Post by kornholio788 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:25 am

occasional demons wrote:
And guess what? All but a few of them have sunk do to the economy. Serves them right. This was only a year ago, when you would Think they would do what it takes to bring in business.
Please stop talking. You are really making a fool out of your self.

long story short...take it to a shop. Shops are begging for work right now. You could probably get a good deal. Don't just go by price. Do some research. See what shops have good ratings/etc. See what type of paint the shops are spraying. Look online for reviews. Go to car shows and ask people with custom jobs where they went and if the liked the work.
2000 Dodge Neon................FULLY BAGGED AND LAID OUT!!...................All Show
theTeejmiester wrote:haha it needs a six foot wing and color change paint and neons to be your style :shock: ...

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:59 pm

kornholio788 wrote:
occasional demons wrote:
Please stop talking. You are really making a fool out of your self.

Shops are begging for work right now. .
And your point?
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
epic

2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

DuhNeon179
2GN Member

Post by DuhNeon179 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:09 pm

glasswars wrote:where are you from in nj?
Middletown in Monmouth County

I can't seem to find any there all in California and what not. Starting to Piss me off, I mean there is one near me in Tinton Falls or maybe long branch not sure.

glasswars
2GN Veteran

Post by glasswars » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:22 pm

DuhNeon179 wrote:
glasswars wrote:where are you from in nj?
Middletown in Monmouth County

I can't seem to find any there all in California and what not. Starting to Piss me off, I mean there is one near me in Tinton Falls or maybe long branch not sure.
i was just in keansburg today. wooo.

anyway, i have a shop i go to for all my paint needs. i swear by it.

the only thing is that his paint jobs start at ~4k. don't know how you feel about it but his work is perfect lemme know if your interested.
thisishalcyon.com
@halcyonphoto

DuhNeon179
2GN Member

Post by DuhNeon179 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:35 pm

I am don't have money right now, it's very tight

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:17 am

Depends on the prep work most of all. The paint itself isn't really an issue price wise, unless you plan on Red or a super exotic color. The prep work can be done at home if you know what to do. Depending on if you just want a re-spray or to change the color, it's all calculated in the cost.

Re-spray the oem color: not too bad. 2-3k$ is about right, depending on the shop. The prep work to get the surface ready is 99% of the cost. You can go ahead and do that ahead of time and cut the cost down alot. Look it up on youtube, easy to learn.

Change the color: Don't do it unless you want to do it right. Respraying the door jams, engine bay, etc is a total PITA and will run your price way up because of the extra work involved.

When in doubt, plasti-dip. Got all my supplies for the car for 250$. Already did my truck over the winter and it turned out sexy. Holds up as well as paint, and literally dummy proof as far as application goes. Theres a youtube channel dedicated to it. http://www.youtube.com/DipYourCarcom

titansxt
2GN Member

Post by titansxt » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:48 am

Ooooold thread.
2003 SXT
2005 SRT-4
2gn.org member #26 :tard:
Lemon Neon member #1.
Any or all of the above statement(s) may be entirely fictional and a fabrication. :lol:
ram50rocket wrote: I must had been mistaken in thinking that NEONS.ORG was just for neons.

Return to “Exterior”