HELP!!!! SUNROOF STUCK OPEN. UH OH......

Got a question on outside appearance modifications. Questions about body kits, exterior lighting, just anything thats a visual mod on the "exterior" of the car. Ask those questions here.
lilnicko11
2011 Silver Contributor

HELP!!!! SUNROOF STUCK OPEN. UH OH......

Post by lilnicko11 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:06 pm

Ok so I haven't had any issues with my sunroof until today when it was raining. I put it forward so rain wouldn't get into the car. When I got back into the car later it would not move at all. Eventually it randomly moved all the way back and got stuck again. Now it will not move at all and I do not have access to the 6 screws to remove the glass.

I also checked the fuse and it's fine. The ground must be ok since the mirror lights are working as well. The pins to the arms are in and the tracks are free of debris. My last thought it the control switch or motor. JeffM was here today and we did hear a faint high pitched squeel a couple times that went away after we kept pushing the button.

What do you guys think? If it is motor, what is the best way to get to it??
2002 NEON ACR
2004 NEON SRT4
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club Member #50

LINK:
CARLISLE 2010 VIDEOS

Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:12 am

Pull the headliner off. Take the motor off and you should be able to manually move the corkscrews to move the sunroof. I think I used a small standard screwdriver and just stuck it in between one of the "screws" of the corkscrew and just worked it forward. But it's been like two years since I've had it out. But mine was also stuck in the reverse position and I'm pretty sure taking the motor out helped.

There should be a how-to somewhere floating around. Hell, I think I wrote one myself.

EDIT: yep
ImageImage
:mopar: :runaway:

iThane
2GN Member

Post by iThane » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:04 am

same thing happened to my friend's window.. she tried rolling it down to
get the water off which only made things worse when the window refused
to roll back up. as it got closer to the top it would slow down until it
stopped and just rolled back down. i'm guessing you might have gotten
some water in there somewhere and its just messing with the flow of things?
My Progress Log
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000104

logikfive
2GN Member

Post by logikfive » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:22 pm

Mine occasionally likes to stop working, when you push the button you can hear it activate, but the sunroof motor must have a flat spot or something on the brushes.

I pop the switch out of the headliner, and whack the sunroof motor through the hole for the switch with the handle of a screwdriver and it has always worked after that.
'88 Conquest TSi SHP Intercooled Turbo 2.6L/5-Speed
'99 Durango SLT 5.9L 4x4 Supercharged
'78 Trans Am 467ci

Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:53 am

logikfive wrote:Mine occasionally likes to stop working, when you push the button you can hear it activate, but the sunroof motor must have a flat spot or something on the brushes.

I pop the switch out of the headliner, and whack the sunroof motor through the hole for the switch with the handle of a screwdriver and it has always worked after that.
:rofl: :laughing3:
ImageImage
:mopar: :runaway:

Return to “Exterior”