Repainting by section..

Got a question on outside appearance modifications. Questions about body kits, exterior lighting, just anything thats a visual mod on the "exterior" of the car. Ask those questions here.
heyybaker
2GN Member

Repainting by section..

Post by heyybaker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:05 am

So, today I decided to take off the door guards. Use the hair dryer/fishing line method, and it took a lot of the adhesive off.. but even then, they really must have PACKED it on there, because it took me about 1 1/2 hours to get the remaining adhesive off. For one of four door guards :banghead:. And when I got it off? The paint beneath was so noticeably more light than the rest of the paint, it really looked bad. SO, I bought some adhesive, and put it back on, after all of that.

ANYWAYS.. this car just needs repainted, period. But, I can't afford to do it all at once. I want to take care of the serious problem areas first, but I'm wondering if it's best to do it that way. Is it going to be obvious if I have it done at different times, because some parts will be more freshly painted than others? I don't plan to space it out THAT much.. like, within a year have the entire car done. Shoot, the hood's so bad right now, I'm considering just rocking an unpainted/black certifit hood until the real hood can be done..
2001 NEON R/T
Project Polish -- INCOMPLETE

boostalot717
2GN Member

Post by boostalot717 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:26 pm

You can do it in sections. The biggest factor your going to see is total price. There will be less labor chages to prep the whole car than individual stuff.

If you want to do it in steps I would remove anything that needs painted. Hood, fenders, bumper covers, skirt, etc. and have that stuff painted. Then later remove everything again and take the shell to be painted. Be very careful on paint shops though as you don't want mismatched parts.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:04 pm

yeah if it was me, i'd have the whole car done at one time, the biggest issue with piecing it out is blending all the different panels and running the chance of one being slightly different from the others. i feel your pain on the door guards, thats why mine are still on.
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

NEON PARABOLA
2GN Member

Post by NEON PARABOLA » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:12 pm

I would really consider painting it all at once. Paint does shift in shade depending on ALOT of variables, It may be from the same can, but it wont always shoot the same. From the little amount of info I have on liquid paint, even atmospheric conditions can cause color shift.

Idk, do what you want, but I'd hate to see you cry if the car didn't all match in the end. Sad day
-Sean
Official "I'm driving my neon till' it dies #28

BLK 03' NEON SXT 150,000 MILES

heyybaker
2GN Member

Post by heyybaker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Yeahh I know :/.. but what to do for it now, I don't know, in that case. Don't have the money to do the entire thing at once, but there are some spots that REALLY need attention. Such as..

Anything else a bit more affordable I can do to treat these spots that will at least make them look a little bit better?
2001 NEON R/T

boostalot717
2GN Member

Post by boostalot717 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Are all the spots through the clear coat? Would a good wax job help? Not your autoparts store wax, but a high end cutting wax, and polish.

DodgeEvo
2GN Member

Post by DodgeEvo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:31 pm

Its going to be cheaper actually to paint the car at once. Another reason why you want to paint the car at once is so that everything matches. Getting it painted piece by piece, you could ended up having miss matched panels cuz one might be a shade darker or the other might be lighter. Best thing is to get a qoute and if they will stand by it for a few months and then save up money for it.
Patrick

heyybaker
2GN Member

Post by heyybaker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:17 pm

boostalot717: I'm not sure.. I know little about paint, but if so, that would be fantastic!

DodgeEvo: Yeah I thought about all that but knowing as little as I was, wasn't sure :/. I wish they financed haha.
2001 NEON R/T

DodgeEvo
2GN Member

Post by DodgeEvo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:54 pm

Some places do finance, but you have to be carefull with those places cuz they might not do the best work. You could always try a wet sand and nice buff and polish.
Patrick

boostalot717
2GN Member

Post by boostalot717 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:21 pm

OK i would try a light wet sand around the areas with 1500-2000 grit. Be very careful that you don't go through the clear as it is probably very thin if any at all arond those areas. If that helps the situation let me know and I can give you more info on paint correction.

UriahRR
2GN Member

Post by UriahRR » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Whoa whoa whoa!

Why the hell would you paint it in sections when ALL 2gn/SRT parts are interchangeable? Seriously, for the price of a good paint job, you can get used oem parts with nice original oem quality paint. The only parts left that would need to be painted are the quarter panels and roof. All together it's about half the cost of a pro-quality job, depending on the deals you find, and much better paint quality than most shops. :thumbup: It's been done before :wink:

Now if you're going custom colors........

heyybaker
2GN Member

Post by heyybaker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:34 pm

DodgeEvo/boostalot717: Hmm I'll look into it.. I better make sure I have some extra money first, so that if I screw up, someone can fix it XD.

UriahRR: I thought about it, but around where I am it's really hard to find Neon parts in the salvage yards.. it's weird.. because there are Neons driven everywhere around here. I'll try branching out. I've looked on Craigslist too, found the PERFECT trunk, Flame red '01 with spoiler! But.. my trunk paint and all is immaculate, no point :lol:
2001 NEON R/T

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:04 am

normally i would agree rob, but these cars are going on 10yrs old now and finding panels with excellent paint is hard, NTM her paint on the car is faded slightly i'm sure, so puting a perfect panel on there would still look odd as all hell...
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

Return to “Exterior”