Driver's side door lock

Got a question on outside appearance modifications. Questions about body kits, exterior lighting, just anything thats a visual mod on the "exterior" of the car. Ask those questions here.
GreeNeons03
2GN Member

Driver's side door lock

Post by GreeNeons03 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:40 pm

The lock on my driver's door is making a grinding noise and some times I even have problems opening the door. If possible, I would like to be able to switch it out myself. Problem is, i'm not sure how. I've done a few searches and come up empty handed.

How do I remove the old lock to replace it?

Thanks in advance!
LilSparkPlug wrote:Polish her....females like that better than slathering! Yeah...I went there.
CLICK ME!
Official "Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club Member #8

RayWolf
2GN Member

Post by RayWolf » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:07 pm

one you remove the door panel, you have to remove the moistre seal and all the rods form the handles.
the lock and latch are one unit so you have to remove the 3 torx bolts and removes the latch
Quotes to live by

"Try again, fail again. Fail better." Samuel Beckett

"The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you will see." Winston Churchill

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Albert Einstein

"Try not. Do or do not." Yoda

GreeNeons03
2GN Member

Post by GreeNeons03 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 pm

Awesome, thanks! Anyone know what size torx bit I need to get the bolts off?
LilSparkPlug wrote:Polish her....females like that better than slathering! Yeah...I went there.
CLICK ME!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:41 pm

Most likely a T20. Seems to be a common size, but a 15 or 25 is also possible. I honestly don't recall it being torx, but that was at least 3 years ago that I had it apart.

Be sure to lube the pin that the handle hinges on also. The pin does rust, and the handles will eventually start sticking in the up position. (The reason I took mine apart) I had to drive the pin totally out, sand it down and lube with grease then re insert it. A PITA, but the handles work so much better.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

GreeNeons03
2GN Member

Post by GreeNeons03 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:24 pm

Ok, I got the lock replaced (it's a T30, BTW) but now I've run into a couple of other issues. One is related to the lock, the other I'm not so sure.

First: The door handle on the out side is now raised slightly and no matter how much I try to adjust the lock, I can't get it to sit flush against the car.

Second: My driver's window does not go down evenly. The front end seems to lead the back end by a little bit. It also is going down much slower than before. Going up seems the same though.

Any help with remedying this problem will be appreciated.
CLICK ME!

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:29 pm

can you get us some pics? May be the wrong lock cylinder, or might just be incorrect installation. Snap a few quick shots and we can see if it helps.
MY PROJECT LOG My Old 2002 ES AND My 2003 SXT

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Might have to lube the tracks and slides on the driver window. Also spray the cable with penetrating oil as best you can.

Lube everything with the window up, so what ever may get on it won't contaminate the felt seal. Otherwise you will have smears on the glass that won't go away for a long while. :lol:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

GreeNeons03
2GN Member

Post by GreeNeons03 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:58 am

D-Railed_Neon wrote:can you get us some pics? May be the wrong lock cylinder, or might just be incorrect installation. Snap a few quick shots and we can see if it helps.
I found a service manual online. After looking it over, it said that there was an adjustment screw accessible through an elongated hole near the lock. After locating the hole and loosening the screw, the handle fell into place. I tightened the screw back up and all is well now.
occasional demons wrote:Might have to lube the tracks and slides on the driver window. Also spray the cable with penetrating oil as best you can.

Lube everything with the window up, so what ever may get on it won't contaminate the felt seal. Otherwise you will have smears on the glass that won't go away for a long while. :lol:
I have some spray silicone, would that work? Or should I use WD-40.
CLICK ME!

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:13 pm

spray silicone should do it and great to hear you got it all sorted out :thumbup:
MY PROJECT LOG My Old 2002 ES AND My 2003 SXT

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

GreeNeons03
2GN Member

Post by GreeNeons03 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:39 pm

Ok, so I sprayed everything down really good and it all seems to be working great, probably even better than before. Thanks for your help guys!
CLICK ME!

Return to “Exterior”