3m paint defender review

Got a question on outside appearance modifications. Questions about body kits, exterior lighting, just anything thats a visual mod on the "exterior" of the car. Ask those questions here.
skaterking411
2GN Member

3m paint defender review

Post by skaterking411 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:41 am

I recently repainted my front bumper because of rock chips and wanted to try this out after respraying. You can get it at autozone or from amazon. I started off by not reading the directions and waxing the bumper with my own wax to find out it comes with it's own special wax. It is very important to wax every part of where you are spraying. As for applying it just follow the instructions and make sure you don't put it on "dry". This makes it look rough and is harder to peel off. At first after spraying it I was nervous. After it "self leveled" I was much happier. I did this at about 8pm on a rainy night in my garage. I woke up the next day and there were a few bad runs. Besides the runs the finish was excellent. Very smooth and shiny. I could not tell it was there if it weren't for the runs. I put it on to thick because I was nervous when first spraying it when it wasn't smooth at all.

I ended up peeling it off. Came off extremely easy. Overall I would definitely recommend it. Just Learn from my mistake and don't put on to much if it still looks orange peely. I will be getting another can and redoing it. I also had extra and spraying my fog lights just because I wanted to see how clear it was. Can't even tell its there!

jrumann59
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by jrumann59 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:36 pm

What if you get a deep enough chip that cause a little separation of the film from the body and you get dirt and grime buildup I would be worried it would stain the paint at those points.
bone-yard-racing wrote:
Remind him of two things for the mustang:
Slow in=Fast out
Fast in=Ambulance out
ImageImage

skaterking411
2GN Member

Post by skaterking411 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:39 pm

The film sticks unless you peel it. Where you ripped it peeling it off you could push the edge back down and rub the edge and you could hardly tell it was there

iThane
2GN Member

Post by iThane » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:45 pm

This stuff is really cool :) Thanks for the review! If the day I respray my front bumper ever comes (which it probably won't) I would definitely
give this a try. I've got so many stubborn rock chips on my front end :roll:
My Progress Log
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000104

sxxxt
2GN Member

Post by sxxxt » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:16 am

What do you think this stuff would look like on a flat black car?? You think it would make it shinny lol

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:27 pm

Waiting on review on how it holds up after a couple months of driving. Cool stuff indeed.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:43 pm

Interesting... :-k I wish I saw this back before my bumper started chipping. :(

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:16 pm

iThane wrote:This stuff is really cool :) Thanks for the review! I
Agreed !! :thumbright:
iThane wrote: I've got so many stubborn rock chips on my front end :roll:
It might be worth trying out even on a 'chipped' front end.
If it 'fills in' the chip, even partially - and darkens it a bit to match the rest of the unchipped paint, it may be worth a shot.
Hell, I should try this out on mine. :)

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

Return to “Exterior”