New to tha car mod world

Welcome to 2GN.org... Tell us a little bit about yourself and your car if you'd like.
alton
2GN Member

New to tha car mod world

Post by alton » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi everyone, my name is lewis, i drive a 2005 sxt. It is an automatic, stuck between either building what i got or break down and join the srt 4 group, which im not ready for. I do want to be different and want my car to perform its best. I ve read alot about different approaches i can go, really stuck on what i really want to do. Im more geared to try and do the turbo set up, just reading around to find ideas on where to get started. A sleeper sxt sounds awsome, even thou its been done many times. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

emoxihax
2GN Member

Post by emoxihax » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:39 am

please don't turbo an automatic :|
2005 Dodge neon srt4 ACR BLACK
Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 137

NGCnoproblem
2GN Member

Post by NGCnoproblem » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:05 am

First thing... 5 speed swap! :rockon:

Welcome to the forums!
Sorry for Party Rockin

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:26 am

:hello2:

I am partial to SRTs myself (wonder why? :twisted: ).
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

alton
2GN Member

Post by alton » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:26 pm

yeah it does defeat the purpose of a turbo, well, it was a thought

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:57 pm

people do turbo auto's, not my personal choice.. if you were to put the time and money into boosting it, it wouldnt take much more to mtx swap it.
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

alton
2GN Member

Post by alton » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:21 pm

very true, i might just get a 5 speed anyway and use that as an car build and my DD one as is. Im so stuck about what i wanna do, so many possiblities. Thanks for the advice

mjrpaine
2GN Member

Post by mjrpaine » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:37 am

Yeah welcome to the site ...

and I am with Gramps on that one ... now that I own a Srt ... I am more partial to them also.
Official " I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies " Club # 132
Jason

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:12 am

mjrpaine wrote:Yeah welcome to the site ...

and I am with Gramps on that one ... now that I own a Srt ... I am more partial to them also.
:withstupid: They're exciting to drive ... a simple engine swap to the SRT-4 engine in a regular Neon isn't the same, but I don't consider it a good car for a daily driver.
... I owned 4 other Neons before I found a used SRT-4 worth buying.
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

Skitlz
2GN Member

Post by Skitlz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:11 pm

Way to shoot down the guy as soon as he joins, sheesh.

A turbo swap is expensive and pretty hard to do (or so I've been informed). However, things like headers, exhaust mods, intakes, and cams are relatively cheap and can be done without a huge amount of knowledge or equipment--I installed my headers with a tire changing jack and hand tools (I don't recommend using such an unsafe jack, especially without jack stands, though). It'll get you used to your car and make you invested in it.

There are plenty of awesome and helpful people on this forum who are more than glad to answer any questions or give tips. I'm still learning, but I'm learning a lot faster thanks to these forums.

A good friend of mine is driving an auto Neon and he still makes it badass. Ultimately a tranny swap might be a good idea, but there should be no rush--enjoy the process, not just the result.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forums. : )
-Scott

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #135 (2005 SE)

alton
2GN Member

Post by alton » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:42 pm

Thank you all for the support, i need to sit down and fully know what i want to do with my car. i ll continue to search and let yall know what i come up with.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:22 pm

Skitlz wrote:Way to shoot down the guy as soon as he joins, sheesh.
[-X It appears that reading comprehension isn't one of your strong points ... most of us are trying to save him from needless expense and frustration ...
How in the fuck do you misinterpret what you read ?
05 Dodge SRT-4

Skitlz
2GN Member

Post by Skitlz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:34 am

I was talking about the first post, which was "please don't turbo an automatic". And that was it. Helpful and encouraging, right?

Way to be hostile and insulting to someone you don't even know (me). Shining example of someone I want to share a message board with.
-Scott

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #135 (2005 SE)

Passt
2GN Member

Post by Passt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:53 pm

It wasn't hostile at all, he said please lol. It's a forum, if you don't expect someone's opinion, something is wrong.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, by far the best neon forum around :) Enjoy your stay!

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:45 pm

theColonel wrote:a simple engine swap to the SRT-4 engine in a regular Neon isn't the same
Agreed! Doing a swap is MUCH more rewarding, plus then you end up with something different than the same shit everyone else has.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:28 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:Doing a swap is MUCH more rewarding, plus then you end up with something different than the same shit everyone else has.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCCeflCb_Hc
05 Dodge SRT-4

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:47 pm

See. That's much better than buying a Gixxer and much less gay than just driving a Smart car.
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Re: New to tha car mod world

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:15 pm

alton wrote:Hi everyone, my name is lewis, i drive a 2005 sxt. It is an automatic, stuck between either building what i got or break down and join the srt 4 group, which im not ready for. I do want to be different and want my car to perform its best. I ve read alot about different approaches i can go, really stuck on what i really want to do. Im more geared to try and do the turbo set up, just reading around to find ideas on where to get started. A sleeper sxt sounds awsome, even thou its been done many times. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
Welcome Lewis. :) If you plan on building your car its going to take quite a bit of time. Do you have an extra car to drive while your 05 SXT is down?
How much are you looking to spend overall?
A turbo swap is expensive and pretty hard to do (or so I've been informed). However, things like headers, exhaust mods, intakes, and cams are relatively cheap and can be done without a huge amount of knowledge or equipment--I installed my headers with a tire changing jack and hand tools (I don't recommend using such an unsafe jack, especially without jack stands, though). It'll get you used to your car and make you invested in it.
Not to bash you, but an 05 SXT ATX will see little to no gains with those $$$ bolt ons. But it is an option he can do. What kind of power are you looking to put down Lewis?

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Return to “Introduce Yourself!”