swap question

Doing a SRT-4 Motor swap into your Neon, maybe even a 2.4... have questions about it, what you'll need or what issues you'll run into? Answers can be found in here.
01neonrtblk
2GN Member

swap question

Post by 01neonrtblk » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:09 am

i postes this in my old thread but no one responded to it, so here it is in a new thread,

this is a list of parts that i have

engine
transmission
clutch
flywheel
intercooler
injen intake
3 o2 housing and 3 inch dp
power steering pump
starter motor
alternator
wiring harness
pedals
agp wga
radiator component
head cluster
fuel pump
stage 2 ecu
stock motor mounts with inserts
coolant bottle
i believe thats all i have, i might be missing one or two things, maybe, but as my knowledge goes, here is a list of parts i still need,

Complete Engine Wiring Harness
Complete Engine Bay Wiring Harness
Power Steering lines, and cooler
Radiator Hoses
Axles (and half shaft if it isn't on the engine)
Fuel Line from tank to engine bay
Flex Fuel line from solid fuel line to fuel rail
Short evap hose that comes from the purge valve
All vacuum lines and the 3 selonids
o2 Sensors
Lower Control Arms (they're stronger yet the same in shape)
Sentry Key Module + Key that matches the PCM VIN number.
Shift Cables
Body Harness - fixes NVLD code (P0499)you will have on 00-02 swaps, also possibly fixes P0508 and P0688 codes.
NVLD Pump w/ Brackets
Boost Gauge
All A/C Lines
A/C Compressor
SKIM Module w/Ignition Cylinder
Key w/ Key Pad
Complete Interior Wiring Harness

i put that together from the other posts, just wanna know if i am missing something or dont need something from this list..bill
2001 Dodge Neon SR/T-4

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:21 am

You have multiple things listed... in what you have what wiring harness are you speaking of?

In the list below of what you still need the Sentry key Module is the same as the SKIM. Also, you have listed Key Pad? Whats the Key Pad?

A/C lines you MIGHT not need as you have an '01 and the AC drier should be loacted in the fender well as it is on the SRT-4 so you may be able to reuse most of your lines, I do hear that the compressor is a little different though. To get the car running through you won't need the AC to be fuctional though.

The Complete Interior Wiring Harness you have listed in the lower list, you will only need the body harness as you are able to use your '01 R/T dash harness and wont' have to swap it out. The body harness isn't needed to get the car running but it does fix a few codes that you will have when you get the motor running.

The lower control arms aren't needed as well but is a recommeded swap as the SRTs are stronger.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

Drvr02RT
2GN Member

Post by Drvr02RT » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:17 am

key pad = remote for keyless entry
'02 Silver R/T
'04 SRT Swap
Stage 2 WGA
----18psi----
AGP Dogbones
Boogers
Mopar Lowering Springs
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Koni's

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:55 am

Ahhh... you can keep your Keyless entry out of your car if you dont' swap out the SRT keyless module ontop of the dash. I didn't touch mine and I'm still able to use the R/T remotes since my donor car didn't come with any remotes.
-Jason
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

Drvr02RT
2GN Member

Post by Drvr02RT » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:36 am

He got that item from the list that I created and with my swap parts, I'm getting it included so I thought that I would list it. But I've heard you can use your original pad.
'02 Silver R/T
'04 SRT Swap
Stage 2 WGA
----18psi----
AGP Dogbones
Boogers
Mopar Lowering Springs
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Koni's

01neonrtblk
2GN Member

Post by 01neonrtblk » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:14 pm

the wiring harness i have is from the engine bay with the fuses in it, not exactly sure as to what it is called, i'll try to get a picture of it, and yeah like Drvr02RT said, the list i put together was from the other swap threads that i saw, and i just listed what i didnt have yet, the ac stuff i really dont care for right now, just listed so i know i can remember to get it by summer....

ok so here is a modified list of things needed

Radiator Hoses
Axles (and half shaft if it isn't on the engine)
Fuel Line from tank to engine bay
o2 Sensors
Shift Cables
Body Harness - fixes NVLD code (P0499)you will have on 00-02 swaps, also possibly fixes P0508 and P0688 codes.
NVLD Pump w/ Brackets
Boost Gauge
3 bar tip and senson
coil pack
spark plug wires

also, not to sound like a noob but what is the NVLD?
Last edited by 01neonrtblk on Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2001 Dodge Neon SR/T-4

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:20 pm

NVLD = Natural Vacuum Leak Detection... it replaced the LDP that came on 00-02 models. It's at the rear of the car, by the passenger rear wheel, if you get under your car you'll see where it goes. It sits in that little protective bracket area and has two hoses coming out of it and an electrical plug.

Your list looks good know... I will say this though, you may find other things along the way, small things you wouldnt' think twice about so what is listed above may not be 100% everything you need, there's always small things along the way.

Also, if you dont' run with the A/C compressor for awhile, you can buy a $15-30 dead pulley from the non-AC PT Cruiser which will take up the space of the AC compressor. You'll also need the belt that mopar sells for the non-AC PT Cruiser.
-Jason

01neonrtblk
2GN Member

Post by 01neonrtblk » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:55 pm

here are the pictures of the wiring harness that i have

and i will look into that dead pulley from non-ac pt cruiser, also jason, does your heater in your white car still function?
2001 Dodge Neon SR/T-4

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:10 pm

That'd be the whole underhood harness that will pass through the firewall and connect to the dash harness. On the main grey plug that passes through the firewall (last picture) you will need to move one pin over one location if you haven't already so your front drivers turn signal will work. You'll need to move the Light Green/Orange wire that is in the Pin4 location on the plug to the empty Pin 5 location as that is where the turn signal wire is located ont he dash harness. Also, along with that harness you will need the engine harness (which you have listed), it's the harness that pretty much wraps the engine and plugs into everything like the injectors, o2 sensors, things of that nature.

My heater works just fine, when you do your swap you'll just need to connect the heater core hoses that pass through the firewall on more of the drivers side of the car. They're one hose right ontop of another and run from the side of the head to the firewall... can't miss it.

Brings me to another thing... I'm not entirely sure as I can't remember to well but you may need those hoses as the SRT ones may be different, not sure so that might be one of those things you'll run across in your swap if you Neon hoses dont' work.
-Jason

refect
2GN Member

Post by refect » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:17 pm

i used the same a/c lines and a/c condensor from my 2000 and they fit in fine with the swap. still havent had a chance to get the a/c system vacuumed out and recharged, but my heater still works. just for some reason my inside and outside air switch dont work anymore. ill switch it to recirulated air and as im driving i still feel the air blowing through the vents...kinda strange, but oh well. im just happy the car runs haha
-Brad

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:54 pm

On '02s though they moved the AC drier to the firewall where I imagine yours was in the fender well right next to the washer bottle.

The recurculate / outside air option is vacuum powered where it draws a vacuum to open or close the flap to divert air. You may just need to fiddle with your controls to get it working.
-Jason

01neonrtblk
2GN Member

Post by 01neonrtblk » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:31 pm

i was looking at my engine earlier and i believe the engine harness is on there, here is a picture of it,

is that what you are reffering to as for the engine harness?
2001 Dodge Neon SR/T-4

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:37 pm

That'd be it...
-Jason

01neonrtblk
2GN Member

Post by 01neonrtblk » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:41 pm

nice, take that off the list, thanks for that quick answer...
2001 Dodge Neon SR/T-4

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:50 pm

You're missing a coilpack ;-) lol

Shit... I'm getting things confused in this thread since there are two people asking question.

To the person with the '01... you might be able to get away with using yoru A/C lines as your setup is more like the SRT is.

The person with the '02... you're most likely going to need the SRT AC lines as the '02 AC lines are different from the SRT with how the drier is located on the firewall.
-Jason

01neonrtblk
2GN Member

Post by 01neonrtblk » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:06 pm

well i am picking up some ac lines from an 04 srt-4 for 50 bucks right now just as a precaution...will look into it once i start the swap....
2001 Dodge Neon SR/T-4

gski4life
2GN Member

Post by gski4life » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:17 pm

subscribed
"Hold up, you mean to tell me a broken clock is right twice a day?" Brilliant...

01neonrtblk
2GN Member

Post by 01neonrtblk » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:09 am

gski4life wrote:subscribed
????
2001 Dodge Neon SR/T-4

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:14 am

He marked the thread so he gets a notification every time there is a new post in here.

FYI gski4life, incase you were not aware, you could have also used the "Watch this topic for replies" link at the bottom left part of the thread below the "New topic" button. That would have added it to your watch list as well.
-Jason

01neonrtblk
2GN Member

Post by 01neonrtblk » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:19 am

ah, i am slow like that, hopefully boost will soon fix that...
2001 Dodge Neon SR/T-4

gski4life
2GN Member

Post by gski4life » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:19 pm

yeah I could've clicked that too, but I figured I give him a free bump by posting in the thread, plus I'm debating whether I wanna do the same swap..........if some one buys my fully built engine I will.

Fully built 2.0 sohc
s16g turbo
its too much to list really.........anybody want a drop in "power bar"?
"Hold up, you mean to tell me a broken clock is right twice a day?" Brilliant...

01neonrtblk
2GN Member

Post by 01neonrtblk » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:03 am

found a body harness for 75 bucks from a guy in florida, just sent him a check so should get that soon,
2001 Dodge Neon SR/T-4

01neonrtblk
2GN Member

Post by 01neonrtblk » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:38 pm

one of my friends just did a swap into an 00 neon, he said the brake booster plug was different on his 00 neon compared to the srt, my question is the brake booster plug on my 01 r/t match the wiring harness? or is this something i am gonna find out once i start the swap....thanks in advance...
2001 Dodge Neon SR/T-4

refect
2GN Member

Post by refect » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:49 pm

i believe the wiring started making changes in like 02 or 03. so there is a good chance that it might be different. i thnk diablo0 did the swap in his r/t and kept the abs so he should be able to fill you in on that. if it is different id think that all you will most likely need to do is switch over to an srt brake booster. as for me, i never had abs to begin with so my brake booster didnt have the abs plug on it. i just left the big plug that goes to the brake booster and all other abs plugs unconnected when i did the swap in my 2000. mainly for the fact that i didnt feel like i needed the abs enough to go through the trouble to convert it all over....
-Brad

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:52 pm

Well the brake booster and ABS module are seperate and just have I think 4 small lines running down below the master cylinder to the ABS module and from there it goes to all the wheels. I didn't swap out my ABS module and the plug went right in, I even compared part or model numbers of the ABS modules between my 02 and the 04 that I had from the donor car and they were the same so I doubt you'll have any issues.

The major change in harnesses happened in 03 with the introduction of NGC...
-Jason

01neonrtblk
2GN Member

Post by 01neonrtblk » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:10 pm

nice, good to know...thanks

also do you think that 500 for these parts is a good price?

Radiator Hoses
o2 Sensors
Shift Cables
NVLD Pump w/ Brackets
SKIM Module w/Ignition Cylinder
Key w/ Key Pad
2001 Dodge Neon SR/T-4

c2k
2GN Member

Post by c2k » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:02 am

500?

eh..

just as long you get the body harness with it.. the nvld pump is only 25 bucks and the bracket is like 100 or so bucks.

just as long you get the matching key w/ the skim module, i think you would be okay.

but ask for 400 for everything.
c2k aka Canuck_2k

01neonrtblk
2GN Member

Post by 01neonrtblk » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:43 am

thats what my other friend suggested as well, to ask for 400 for everything....hmmm, gonna try to pm the guy soon..
2001 Dodge Neon SR/T-4

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:36 pm

Yeah $500 seems pretty steap for thos pearts, I'd talk him down lower and try to get the PCM to match the SKIM and keys.
-Jason

01neonrtblk
2GN Member

Post by 01neonrtblk » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:30 pm

Diablo0 wrote:Yeah $500 seems pretty steap for thos pearts, I'd talk him down lower and try to get the PCM to match the SKIM and keys.
as for the pcm, i am going with a stage 2 that i have to get reflashed anyways so i dont believe i need the pcm, or am i incorrect?
2001 Dodge Neon SR/T-4

Return to “Motor Swap”