ABS Controller Question

Doing a SRT-4 Motor swap into your Neon, maybe even a 2.4... have questions about it, what you'll need or what issues you'll run into? Answers can be found in here.
Drvr02RT
2GN Member

ABS Controller Question

Post by Drvr02RT » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:44 am

Ok as most of you know I did the SRT swap, well I did swap over the ABS unit because you guys said that it was different from 02 ABS controller. Well, I accidently poured powersteering fluid into the brake system so now I have to replace it all. (ABS Controller, Calipers, Hoses and Master Cylinder.) I have all the pieces except for a new ABS Controller. My question is, will an ABS controller from a 2003 2.0L Neon work? I ask this because it is all that I can find online that is local to me. I had planned on swapping the Valve contoller from my 02 ABS Controller but since it has Traction Control integrated into it thats a NO-GO!

Anyways, if anyone could answer this it would be great!
As always, Thanks!
'02 Silver R/T
'04 SRT Swap
Stage 2 WGA
----18psi----
AGP Dogbones
Boogers
Mopar Lowering Springs
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Koni's

refect
2GN Member

Post by refect » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:08 am

i dont see why it wouldnt work. i never been able to compare a regular abs controller to an srt one, but im almost certain they would be the same...someone else wanna chime in if i am wrong? also how much power steering fluid did you pour in there and how did you manage to do it? with a good flush you might be able to not have to replace everything
-Brad

Drvr02RT
2GN Member

Post by Drvr02RT » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:19 am

Needless to say, I flushed the brake system w/ power steering fluid :roll:
It was in there about a week. My brakes locked up while driving so I had thought maybe I needed to bleed the brakes or something. When I went to grab the "brake fluid", I realized it was power steering fluid. I said oh shit to myself and immediatly flushed the system with brake fluid and it lasted until yesterday. the brake locked up again so I called a few shops to see what the consensus was and most of them agreed that I need to replace everything involving rubber.

I cant find anything that says the reg. neon ABS is different so I'm going to go ahead and get the assembly from the 03 tomorrow. Hopefully it will work.

On a better note, I did get the car to boost. It ended up being a clogged cat. converter. 8)
'02 Silver R/T
'04 SRT Swap
Stage 2 WGA
----18psi----
AGP Dogbones
Boogers
Mopar Lowering Springs
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Koni's

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:57 pm

I never swapped my '02 ABS module out, right now the brake system under the hood is all '02 which had the traction control feature but since the SRT doesn't have traction control it's never activated. I compared them and what I saw they're both the same :-?

I thought '03+ on the regular neons they got rid of ABS? I don't have a brochure around me anywhere but I thought they did :-?
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

Beeznutz
2GN Member

Post by Beeznutz » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:04 pm

will I need to swap mine I m swapping a 03 srt into a 02 2.0sxt
Wonder whats going On in this Picture???

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:11 pm

You don't really have to even if you don't have ABS. I mean refect didn't have ABS and he didn't swap it and just had the ABS electrical connector hangin there. He should just have a code or his ABS line on but other than that his brakes still work.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

Beeznutz
2GN Member

Post by Beeznutz » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:17 pm

okay
Wonder whats going On in this Picture???

Drvr02RT
2GN Member

Post by Drvr02RT » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:50 pm

Well I went to the junkyard today to pick up the ABS controller and it was already gone. But thanks to Diablo I'll just use my 02 ABS controller. I thought that they were different programming in the controller. I mean, they do have different part numbers.

So again, big thanks to Diablo for speaking up. You just saved me about $200.
'02 Silver R/T
'04 SRT Swap
Stage 2 WGA
----18psi----
AGP Dogbones
Boogers
Mopar Lowering Springs
Hotchkis Sway Bars
Koni's

refect
2GN Member

Post by refect » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:17 pm

Diablo0 wrote:I never swapped my '02 ABS module out, right now the brake system under the hood is all '02 which had the traction control feature but since the SRT doesn't have traction control it's never activated. I compared them and what I saw they're both the same :-?

I thought '03+ on the regular neons they got rid of ABS? I don't have a brochure around me anywhere but I thought they did :-?
yup i never had abs to begin with and when i did the swap i idnt bother to swap it over. i just swapped the srt rotors, calipers, and knuckles/hub. the brakes work 10 times better than regular neon brakes (especialy with the hawk pads and slotted rotors) even without the abs. so i felt no need to switch over the abs. everything still works great. however, i have no cel code for it. or at least none show up when i check codes through the cluster. i think the abs light just comes on the cluster, but i took that bulb out since i have no abs :lol: so i dunno?
-Brad

Return to “Motor Swap”