SRT - Swap questions

Doing a SRT-4 Motor swap into your Neon, maybe even a 2.4... have questions about it, what you'll need or what issues you'll run into? Answers can be found in here.
aaronn3000
2GN Member

SRT - Swap questions

Post by aaronn3000 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:41 am

So I am going to do it! at long last I am going to do the build of my dreams. I will be doing a SRT-4 swap into my 2003 SX. However, I am in the beginning stages of planning and after reading the sticky posts and a good number of the other posts on here I now have some questions.

First let me say that I have the list from the sticky (Thank you sooooo much!!!) However, my build comes on a budget. I can afford everything I need but I don't want to spend money I don't need to spend. well at least not for this build. As time goes on I want to add more to the car i.e. I will not be adding the Lower Control Arms right away but they are part of a future build.

I have a 2003 SX in good condition. Has 100,000 K on it (I'm Canadian) Every thing is in good working order.

These are the questions I have at this point.

On my 03 SX do I need the body harness from the donor SRT-4 or is that only for years 2000 - 2002?

I have heard some debate on the need for the clutch master cylinder. Some people are for it and some say you can get away with leaving it but still have to have the slave. What is the verdict? Can I get away with using the one I already have on my car? Will this hurt my new parts in any way?

Do I really need the SRT-4 Power Steering Pump, lines, and cooler? Are they different from an 03 SX?

Also what is the verdict on the SRT-4 Shift Cables? Do I need them or can I use mine from the 03 SX?

Finally, Steely Bob said that his stock radiator was working well at 100 degree temps. What he did was switch out the wiring from the SX radiator to the wiring from the SRT-4 radiator. The reason being is to do with the fact that the SX Fan wiring goes on and off where the SRT wiring goes from Lo to Hi. (wires cost under $30)
With this said how do we feel about using the stock radiator from the SX and swapping the wiring for the fan?

I appreciate your feedback, looking forward to some good info :)

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:20 pm

Glad we could help get the ball rolling on this for you...

To answer your questions...

Nope, you won't need the body harness since like you said, that really only pertains to 2000-2002 Neons. The 2003+ Neons all had the same EVAP system which had some different wiring which is the reasoning behind swapping it.

Clutch master... honestly, I don't see why you woudln't be able to use your Neon master as they look very close other than some differences in the tube length running to the slave cylinder.... however, there could be some underlying mechanical differences internally that I wouldn't know about. I think someone said they got away with using their Neon though...

Yes, you'll need the power steering pump, lines and cooler... they're very different from the Neon/SX.

You'll need your shift cables... they're slightly different in length from what people have reported.

As for the core... what he did will work, is it the best method, maybe not but it'll work since yah the SRT does have a Lo Hi running as it kicks one fan on at a time depending on heat as well as if the AC is on or not. However, to me, I'd rather have the thicker core of the SRT radiator. Then on the super hot days in the summer time sitting in traffic I use the Fan Mod to manually ground the relay for the radiator fan and force them to come on keep temps from rising. Or... you could swap radiators to get the larger core and then do what steelybob did...

Post 9 has a picture of the cores...
http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?p=353352#353352
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:41 pm

I just want to say that even though your on a budget, have about an extra 1k on the side just in case something goes wrong....

Something always goes wrong.
| - John || Project Log || Official I'm Going To Drive My Neon Till It Dies Club #000001 |
Everyone knows that for breasts to be "perfect" they need to be within reach.

aaronn3000
2GN Member

Post by aaronn3000 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:35 pm

hansken_yo wrote:I just want to say that even though your on a budget, have about an extra 1k on the side just in case something goes wrong....

Something always goes wrong.
I couldn't agree with you more! I have a reserve for such an occurrence.

Even with that though, I want to do as much preparation as I can. I figure that I can get a lot of the unknowns taken care of with careful planning and utilizing the knowledge gained in these forums.

Thanks for the info! I will add it to my book :)

steelybob
2GN Member

Post by steelybob » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:50 pm

your neon radiator will cool it just fine.
2011 Scion xb RS8.0 #622/2000
2000 SE Beater

aaronn3000
2GN Member

Post by aaronn3000 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Do I need the accelerator cable from the SRT-4 or can I use the one from my SX? If so how is there a way you would recommends for running it?

CrashTeam
2GN Member

Post by CrashTeam » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:26 am

Mines from the stock RT, I ran it up and over the turbo where the old cruise lines went, a little tin foil for heat shielding and it works fine!
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4, Stg2/Toys, 3" TBE, 3"o2, FM Wastegate, AEM Intake, Running 20psi

Return to “Motor Swap”