PT cruiser 2.4 NA swap

Doing a SRT-4 Motor swap into your Neon, maybe even a 2.4... have questions about it, what you'll need or what issues you'll run into? Answers can be found in here.
occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:23 pm

You could plumb the MAP sensor via a vacuum line if needed. It may not be 100% as good as being in the IM, but it worked on many cars for years being mounted to a bracket on the engine or firewall. There might be a few milliseconds delay in the signal is all.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

thump3r
2GN Member

Post by thump3r » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:38 pm

occasional demons wrote:You could plumb the MAP sensor via a vacuum line if needed. It may not be 100% as good as being in the IM, but it worked on many cars for years being mounted to a bracket on the engine or firewall. There might be a few milliseconds delay in the signal is all.
thats actually how mine is connected. the map sensor is only 3" away from the manifold but i used a 3/8 NPT to 1/2 vacuum line and just connected it that way. and the wires i tapped into the main harness that runs right beside.

i wish i had more time to play with it bing my DD but i have to get my other projects done aswell.

00Neon RCR
2GN Member

Post by 00Neon RCR » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:16 pm

LOTS of info in this thread.

Thanks

thump3r
2GN Member

Post by thump3r » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:19 pm

update

11000 km no issues with the swap.

i still have a few codes but i wont be able to get rid of them with out some work. ( been to busing working on my other project car)
since i have the rt computer its looking for the intake solinoid which sets a code. the other do i have is to deal with the evap surge solinoid mounted on the 03+ which i dont have.

and other then that i had a code set from me bumpign the cruise control switch on my steering wheel and i havent gotten around to hooking up cruise control

i think this is one of the best engine swaps you can do on a budget.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:13 pm

I always have the MTV relay circuit code from running an R/T pcm in a non R/T car. It has become like the P1684 equivalent. Then there is the P1686, since it wants to find the SKIM module that isn't there. But neither code sets the CEL, so it isn't something that bugs me. :D

The only way to be rid of the MTV circuit code, would be to get a wire connector inserted onto the correct PCM connector pin, and wire it to a relay coil, and ground the other end. It need not be a functioning relay, just the coil, or a resistor that is close to the same value of the relay coils for your horn/starter/fuel pump.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

chappybmode
2GN Member

Post by chappybmode » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:26 pm

Thumpr no need to change the harness, or move the cam sensor all you have to do is maybe legthen the pigtail wires maybe i qaute I know this first hand because i took a srt motor out of a pt and put a soch motor in it and took the srt4 moter and used the block and a diff head and all works fine , If anything you may need to just take some of the factory tape off of the wires to gain lenght

thump3r
2GN Member

Post by thump3r » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:43 pm

considering i already did the swap i had to legthen the wires about 4 inch in order for them not to be tight as i was affriad they might of ripped out

Car6on14
2GN Member

Post by Car6on14 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:33 pm

great post and good to hear for my 05. Any idea if my 5 spd trans bolt up to a 03 + PT 2.4 or would I be better getting one w/ a 5 spd and swapping motor and trans?
05 Sxt 5spd w/ SRT body styling
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Car6on14

nolaneon
2GN Member

Post by nolaneon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:21 pm

neon tranny bolts right up man

red2k2rt
2GN Member

Post by red2k2rt » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:33 pm

[quote="occasional demons"]I always have the MTV relay circuit code from running an R/T pcm in a non R/T car. It has become like the P1684 equivalent. Then there is the P1686, since it wants to find the SKIM module that isn't there. But neither code sets the CEL, so it isn't something that bugs me. :D

The only way to be rid of the MTV circuit code, would be to get a wire connector inserted onto the correct PCM connector pin, and wire it to a relay coil, and ground the other end. It need not be a functioning relay, just the coil, or a resistor that is close to the same value of the relay coils for your horn/starter/fuel pump.[/quote]

Small post resurrection but I had a question about this code. Will that code affect emissions if they do the plug in test? Or since it does not activate the CEL it won't show up when they do the test?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:41 pm

I'm sure they could see the code, but it does not illuminate the CEL, and doesn't affect emissions. But who knows.... I guess it depends on the inspector.

The PS switch does light the CEL, and also does not affect emissions, but they will fail you for that.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

red2k2rt
2GN Member

Post by red2k2rt » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:13 pm

[quote="occasional demons"]I'm sure they could see the code, but it does not illuminate the CEL, and doesn't affect emissions. But who knows.... I guess it depends on the inspector.

The PS switch does light the CEL, and also does not affect emissions, but they will fail you for that.[/quote]

Oh ok just making sure I've got my bases all covered when doing the swap. Don't need to be failed for emissions for that code. I know if you had a CEL when you came in they would fail you.

Return to “Motor Swap”