motor swap help 2.0 please wont start but cranks

Doing a SRT-4 Motor swap into your Neon, maybe even a 2.4... have questions about it, what you'll need or what issues you'll run into? Answers can be found in here.
dtecneon
n00b

motor swap help 2.0 please wont start but cranks

Post by dtecneon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Hello I just did a 2.0 swap on this neon because the other motor was SOL. Got everything in and motor cranks and stops after 2 seconds. Then it will show a red light on the cluster on the right hand side. top . Miles keep going up and we are not moving lol. Any help ?

Key is black with a chrysler logo on the key. Its not big like the SRTs with the chip. Idk if this one dose or not. Looks like this

Motor came out of a running neon. timed right i made sure. Getting spark and gas.

thanks.
Cody.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:40 pm

Did you only swap the engine? Is the PCM the original one from your car? What else was swapped over? What year Neon are you working on? What year did the donor engine come from?

It sounds like the SKIM system is shutting down the car. Don't keep trying to start it or you will be towing it to a dealer.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

dtecneon
n00b

Post by dtecneon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:41 pm

Just the motor is all we replaced. Everything else is the same. wire harness ECU and all that.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:44 pm

Something isn't right. Did you just buy this car?

The fact that you have a red light on the dash tells me that you have a SKIM system, but if you are using a black head key the car won't start.

Again, what year is the car?

hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:25 pm

Red light enn dash is skim :withstupid:
| - John || Project Log || Official I'm Going To Drive My Neon Till It Dies Club #000001 |
Everyone knows that for breasts to be "perfect" they need to be within reach.

dtecneon
n00b

Post by dtecneon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:49 pm

Like when you turn the key over the red light dont come on. but if you wait for like 10-15 mins it will come on.

wat do i do take the key,ecu and Vins to dodge dealer. The old motor would crank over but it had no compression at all. so theys why we swapped motors.

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:57 pm

What.Year.Is.Your.Car? lol

Are you using the key from the donor car or your original key?
03' Dodge Neon...SRT-4 swap
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:24 pm

superdan wrote:What.Year.Is.Your.Car? lol
We will never know.

I'm done here.

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:32 pm

I will try my hand at finding out what year this car is lol
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: motor swap help 2.0 please wont start but cranks

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:16 pm

dtecneon wrote: Miles keep going up and we are not moving lol. Any help ?
:-k

Is the speedo showing that it is moving also?

The whole issue could be somehow related to the cluster. IDK if the VSS can separate the odometer count from the speedometer. Possibly the cluster can, but we also do not know if the needle is stuck on the wrong side of the rest.

Cody, push in the odometer reset, and key on. Then release the reset. Your cluster should do a needle sweep test. Check to see the speedo needle moves.

The engine control method changed in 2003. If the car is at/above that date line, and the engine is below, or vise versa, it won't run. Period.

I don't see how even that would cause a SKIM issue.

If you shorted something in the swap process, by not disconnecting the battery, then the PCM may be fried.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

dtecneon
n00b

Post by dtecneon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:05 pm

Well its a 2004, Sorry ive been working . Second the key we got was black key. Before we did the swap the old motor would crank and crank but no start because the Cyl where shot. So we did the swap with the battery off and all that not dumb taking battery out. 3rd I dont know why the miles keep going but nothing isnt moving car or wheels. I reset the meter and it keeps going. I called the dodge dealer its 100 get a key made and 400 to get it all programed and fashed. Is there away to get a Different ECU,Key, and ignition as long they are same key, ECU and all that goodies ? I think i saw it on Neons.org. Almost like SRT4 swaps in 1gn .

But i need to know why its doing this.

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:37 pm

It sounds like you are using the key from the new engine. You need to be using the key you used before you swapped the engine. If you are infact using the same old key im not sure why you are having issues as it should just start right up with no issues.
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

boostalot717
2GN Member

Post by boostalot717 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:19 pm

What do you mean by the cylinder was shot? Did the car ever start while you owned it?
If you bought it not running then someone changed some stuff over. If I am correct the skim key only came with cars that have the white face gauge cluster not the standard black one.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:43 am

me thinks you left the skim module installed from your old computer and you plugged in your non skim PCM and it turned the skim on. did you even flash the new VIN into this PCM yet?
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

dtecneon
n00b

Post by dtecneon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:41 am

The Cyls was shot. The kid i bought the car off of be blew the motor up. So i put a new motor in and im running into this issue. I didnt touch any Skim crap or anything. The only got i got when i bought it was the black key. Unless he fucked shit up with the skim then i have no idea. Becuase he put all this door poppers in and shit. So all i did is swap motors because the one that was in the car was shot and the only key i got was a black key like i showed. Well the cluster is white not black. I think its skim too but im just making sure if it is or isnt.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:45 am

So...you bought this car and you have not had it running since you bought it, correct?

You have the wrong type of key. Throw that black head key away, get the correct SKIM key, get it cut and programmed, and go from there.

You will have to tow the car to the dealer to have all of this done btw.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:51 am

dtecneon wrote:The Cyls was shot. The kid i bought the car off of be blew the motor up. So i put a new motor in and im running into this issue. I didnt touch any Skim crap or anything. The only got i got when i bought it was the black key. Unless he fucked shit up with the skim then i have no idea. Becuase he put all this door poppers in and shit. So all i did is swap motors because the one that was in the car was shot and the only key i got was a black key like i showed. Well the cluster is white not black. I think its skim too but im just making sure if it is or isnt.
easiest way to find out is pop the column surround off and take a picture of the key cyl area and post it on here, we can tell you for sure then.
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

dtecneon
n00b

Post by dtecneon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:07 am

I called the lady i got it off of . her son is gone and that was his car. He left it when he moved. So i called her and she is in NYC right now for a work so i gotta wait when she gets home to find the skim key. If not Ill do a 2.4 swap with SRT4 wiring and cluster skim and all that project car. So i gotta wait see if she has the key or not.

steamer1227
2GN Member

Post by steamer1227 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:46 am

so its got the SKIM module? is so that really SUX that they didnt give you guys the right key for it. Thats what I call a unresponsible neon owner. lol. but hope it works all out for ya.

-STEPHEN- <HOW TO> <FEEDBACK>

slaw
2GN Member

Post by slaw » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:21 am

so the car is a 2004, what year is the engine that youve put in?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:48 am

r/tguy02 wrote: easiest way to find out is pop the column surround off and take a picture of the key cyl area and post it on here, we can tell you for sure then.
slaw wrote:so the car is a 2004, what year is the engine that youve put in?
With those two pieces of info, we can tell you if you do have the correct key, and correct engine.

If the engine matches, and the key is correct, (no SKIM receiver around the key cylinder) try pulling the cluster completely out of the dash, and see if it starts. SKIM or not, the miles should not be climbing...

Also, is the black key an original type key, or a copy?

You could also take the VIN number to a dealer,and they could tell you if it is SKIM equipped. Also, check the VIN on the PCM to see if it matches the car. The previous owner may have swapped it ...
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:09 pm

Let's not overthink this too much. Kid leaves home and leaves the car behind, but no keys. Mom needs to be able to get into the car to at least get the car towed out of there. She goes to the dealer and has a regualr key cut for the car so she can open the doors. She isn't worried about starting it since the engine is shot anyway.

End of mystery. See my above post to fix said situation.

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Danteneon wrote:Let's not overthink this too much. Kid leaves home and leaves the car behind, but no keys. Mom needs to be able to get into the car to at least get the car towed out of there. She goes to the dealer and has a regualr key cut for the car so she can open the doors. She isn't worried about starting it since the engine is shot anyway.

End of mystery. See my above post to fix said situation.
*hands scooby snack* good job!
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:41 pm

Fuzzyneon wrote:*hands scooby snack* good job!
And I would have succeeded if it wasn't for those pesky kids!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Bah, yeah 2004, it definitely has SKIM. Posting in 100º heat FTL. :lol:

Still doesn't explain the odometer adding miles tho.

"Here's your noobie penalty: Less trade in value!" :rofl:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

dtecneon
n00b

Post by dtecneon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:20 pm

occasional demons wrote:Bah, yeah 2004, it definitely has SKIM. Posting in 100º heat FTL. :lol:

Still doesn't explain the odometer adding miles tho.

"Here's your noobie penalty: Less trade in value!" :rofl:
Ok I tryed a new Crank sensor and unplugging the cam sensor and still nothing. Put in a 2000 ECU in and motor will crank all it wants with out stopping like i said above. Looked in the trunk for a second vin and counted the 10th letter/number witch is a 0 so im looking at a 2000 car. The person i bought this off of was a kid who didnt kno anything about cars. His mother told me he moved to Philly and left the car there because he didnt want it because it wouldnt run. So we tryed a 2000 ECU and it works good cranks all it wants but no SPARK now . We had spark when we checked compression on the old motor witch the old motor was SOL. Thats why i swapped a different motor in. So im running into a spark problem now. Timing is right . new crank sensor and try unplugging the cam sensor and still nothing. Now i kno what year it is this car has no sentry key but has a white cluster i think he swapped it out im thinking. Took the dash apart and has no sentry system under the dash or anything. Thing is when we hook up the old ecu that came with the car cranks for like 5 seconds and stops. But with the 2000 Ecu cranks all day long but no spark.

second im not a noob lol . I have 4 neons and all run fine. But im not use too the 2gns with sentry keys or not with them.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:57 am

dtecneon wrote:Looked in the trunk for a second vin and counted the 10th letter/number witch is a 0 so im looking at a 2000 car.
The 10th digit can't be a 0. If it were a 2000, the 10th digit would be a Y.

For second gen Neons...

Y = 2000
1 = 2001
2 = 2002
3 = 2003
4 = 2004
5 = 2005

It sounds like there is a lot more done to this car than just an engine swap. If the cluster has been changed there is no telling what else has been done. You have a pretty complex trouble shooting job ahead of you.

Return to “Motor Swap”