Putting a gen 2 R/T NGC motor in a Gen 1 race car - question

Doing a SRT-4 Motor swap into your Neon, maybe even a 2.4... have questions about it, what you'll need or what issues you'll run into? Answers can be found in here.
tneker
n00b

Putting a gen 2 R/T NGC motor in a Gen 1 race car - question

Post by tneker » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:45 am

We are building a race car for enduro racing, stripped down, no dash or instrument cluster in a Gen 1 neon. Our powerplant is a Gen 2 R/T Magnum NGC motor and transmission. We are fully aware of the debate around the NGC ECU with performance upgrades.

We will pretty much just be swapping over the stock powrplant, with the exception of a CAI, and catless free flowing exhaust. What areas do we need to pay close attention to in order to keep from having the NGC go into limp mode? We won't have a dash, no check engine lights to worry about, just want to make sure we don't drop into limp mode. What is critical regarding the o2 sensor/s? Can we just eliminate the second one?

Thanks......

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:53 am

just make sure you swap over the entire harness into the 1gn, as well as the ECU, thats the biggest part. make sure you get the skim module from the column as well or it will lock you out and you'll never get it started. if you want to leave the downstream o2 sensor out it will still run, if you dont care about CEL's
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:58 am

NGC may actually need the cluster to function.

I seem to recall there being a thread about the car not starting with the cluster removed.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

tneker
n00b

Post by tneker » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:25 pm

occasional demons wrote:NGC may actually need the cluster to function.

I seem to recall there being a thread about the car not starting with the cluster removed.

I recall a similar post, and believe that the issue would be with the SKIM key receiver needing to use the cluster wiring harness to communicate with the ECU.

While the guy that sold us the motor gave us the SKIM key receiver from the steering column and a key, I believe the key he gave us is actually a valet key, not a chipped key. Didn't notice till I got home.

Anyways, I think we may end up needing to send our ECU to http://www.autocomputerperformance.com/ , they quoted me $150 to remove the skim key functionality. I have seen other chatter about thinking about using them, but no one saying they had.

Not thrilled about $150 just because of this silly skim key, but it may be the path of least resistance at this point.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Search for "Syked". Kevin can also turn it off.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

a23dranger
2GN Member

Post by a23dranger » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:02 pm

Not sure about needing the cluster deal. I can start my brothers srt no problems with out it. And having gone threw a harness for a racecar recently no wire goes into the cluster from the skim module. Ill be testing said harness within next few weeks
96 ranger 5.0,4wd,atx swap, jd lift and more, oem+
98 ACR 67k
01 ACR-R/T

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:54 pm

Who knows, a lot of these "problems" never really get a good follow up on the actual cause. So maybe there is hope. :lol:

Being rid of SKIM on a race car would still mean one less thing to be concerned with. Nothing like not being able to compete because the key chip took a crap, or some other issue, that pops up.

SKIM doesn't keep it from being hauled off on a flatbed...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Motor Swap”