2.4l 2001 swap

Doing a SRT-4 Motor swap into your Neon, maybe even a 2.4... have questions about it, what you'll need or what issues you'll run into? Answers can be found in here.
tacNtrack
n00b

2.4l 2001 swap

Post by tacNtrack » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:26 am

We currently have a 2001 sohc atx car we run on a 3/8 of a mile dirt track. The car runs well handles great but even with a skyied ecu and a cold air is top 5 car at best. The h22 and k24 hondas and sentra ser-v just simply have have two much power for us keep up with. So the search for more power has begain and for the neon I think the answer of a 2.4L is the easy answer. For referance our class must be stock (any factory part from our manufactor is legal). Of course every one is bending the rules but it at least needs to look stock and be close. We have tti long tube going on the car this week. The atx is great beacuse the gears are so long we just need the power to push it. So lets be sure i understand what I need here.
Must have
1. 2001 pt cruiser engine
2. 2001 pt cruiser power steering bracket
3. Gen1 dohc intake or srt4 intake

Would be good idea
1. 24 pound 5.0 mustang injectors
2. 2.0 dohc cams
3. New water pump
4. Timing belt kit
5. Srt oil pan, pickup tube and pump

Things that must be done to make this work
1. Repin the injectors for 2 and 3

Addational questions
1. Will my 2.0 coil pack work?
2. Will my Tti long tube?
3. Any thing I am forgeting that help us with these hondas?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: 2.4l 2001 swap

Post by occasional demons » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:57 pm

You have to move all the injector pins .

The coil wires also need swapped. The two outer wires. The center is the 12 volt feed.

Should be able to use a 2002 PT engine also. NGC didn't happen until 2003.

I don't recall exactly when the bolt pattern changed for the intake manifolds, but the head can be drilled and tapped to use the 1gn DOHC manifold, or the SRT manifold would bolt onto the newer bolt pattern.

I don't know that there is much difference between the PT and SRT oil pan/pump set up. The GT/PT light turbo engines are the same except for the intake manifolds.

24 lb injectors might run on the rich side. The 2001 has 58 psi, vs 49 for 2000 and older.

You may have to experiment with the stock 2.4 injectors and the Mustang injectors.

If you had a 2003 to 2005 neon, you wouldn't have to swap the injector wiring or the coil wiring. It would be plug and play as far as the wiring. Only the ECT wire will need to be extended to reach. But you would need to source a 2004/2005 engine bay harness and all the SKIM related stuff to make that happen. It would complicate things way too much. Not to mention the ATX stuff that the PCM would be looking for. Finding an MTX NGC PCM would be a lot tougher. That would be happier with the 31th ATX.

https://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=318202

The wiring part of this still applies through 2002 neons. Engine mount stuff is taken care of by using PT or SRT engine brackets/oiling system.

If the TTI header is SOHC, it will not work. You'll need a DOHC header.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue May 02, 2023 12:00 pm

tacNtrack wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:26 am
We currently have a 2001 sohc atx car we run on a 3/8 of a mile dirt track. The car runs well handles great but even with a skyied ecu and a cold air is top 5 car at best. The h22 and k24 hondas and sentra ser-v just simply have have two much power for us keep up with. So the search for more power has begain and for the neon I think the answer of a 2.4L is the easy answer. For referance our class must be stock (any factory part from our manufactor is legal). Of course every one is bending the rules but it at least needs to look stock and be close. We have tti long tube going on the car this week. The atx is great beacuse the gears are so long we just need the power to push it. So lets be sure i understand what I need here.
Must have
1. 2001 pt cruiser engine
2. 2001 pt cruiser power steering bracket
3. Gen1 dohc intake or srt4 intake

Would be good idea
1. 24 pound 5.0 mustang injectors
2. 2.0 dohc cams
3. New water pump
4. Timing belt kit
5. Srt oil pan, pickup tube and pump

Things that must be done to make this work
1. Repin the injectors for 2 and 3

Addational questions
1. Will my 2.0 coil pack work?
2. Will my Tti long tube?
3. Any thing I am forgeting that help us with these hondas?
You can use any 95-02 2.4 DOHC engine you find, so this will include Dodge Stratus/Plymouth Breeze cars, PT Cruisers, and Chrysler minivans. Look into doing the Balance shaft chain delete. But also, BUILD A WINDAGE TRAY and a baffle for the oil pain. Many 2.4 DOHC cars die a death on circle tracks because when they corner, they end up starving for oil.

Yes the coil pack will work. No the SOHC long tube will not work, but you could probably get a DOHC flange and weld it on, or just grab a DOHC header. Apparently the DOHC PT Cruiser exhaust manifold flows decently too.

If you use a Gen 1 intake, you'll be fine with an 01 motor, if you want to use an SRT-4 intake, you'll have to drill some mounting holes. If you use an 02 motor, you'll be fine with the SRT intake, but have to drill the 1gn intake. I would get a "no-90" lower from modern, or cut the 90 degreen bend off of the 1gn intake and clamp your TB on there.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed May 03, 2023 10:03 pm

The Stratus engine will work as is in a 2gn, BUT the subframe needs hacked, there is no longer a lower torque strut, the frame rail mount needs a body ground to the point you may not get said bolt out again. In a 1gn, it is much simpler due to the engine mounting style.

The 2000 I bought from hul_kogan had a Stratus engine installed. It is not something I would want to deal with as much as you might in a race car.

Plus the Stratus oiling system puts the oil filter near the front tire. Probably not a good place on a dirt car.

If you have to source the oil pan/oiling system/engine mounts from an SRT or PT, to make it work on a decent level, might as well just get the whole engine. Then If you need to source another, those parts can be swapped over, provided a rod hasn't gone through the pan.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

tacNtrack
n00b

Post by tacNtrack » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:35 am

I got to keep the totaled pt engine so I swaped the oiling system from the 01 pt to 06 Sebring engine. I also swaped all the front end covers across. I also took the drive chain off the balace shaft.
Now I need a intake and reinstall everything and cut up my wiring harness to work.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:17 pm

I cut the balance shaft chain on my swap, only to pull it back apart and make the balance shafts functional again. I got tired of everything vibrating.

If the car is gutted, there's not much to rattle. For a race car, deleting the balance shafts is fine. For a DD, it was too much for me personally.

Honestly, I didn't notice much change in power if any. Maybe the lack of stuff rattling made it a wash.

The fact that you need to pull everything including the oil pump to re attach a chain speaks to how bad the rattling was.

Maybe it won't be as bad in a 2gn. My experience was with a 1gn. I even had to silicone the glove box cover to the internal frame because it was rattling.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Motor Swap”