Anatomy of a gauge cluster with some pointers.

Questions about interior lighting, shift knobs, just anything mainly to do with modifications on the inside of the car. Ask those questions here.
Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:20 am

There is an easier way to it. Start with the cluster intact. Do a needle sweep test (hold down the trip reset button while turning the key to "On"). Make a note where the needles rest at each stop. For consistency, do this more than once. After you are done with your needles, place them on the gauge posts just enough so they wont fall off, and do the sweep test again. Once you have the needles where you want them, attach fully.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

Dennis Blewett
2GN Member

Post by Dennis Blewett » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:30 pm

I'm thinking it might be possible to desolder the odometer EEPROM memory chips (I assume they're hidden by the green board) and swap them. It'd be nice if I had another board to test that theory. I'll have to take a look at the EEPROM chips (assuming they exist) and determine if they are similar enough to be swapped. There are a few threads on the Internet where people have de-soldered the chips and swapped chips in reference to different types of vehicles. The Lexus weblink talks about throwing in a DIP socket.

Energy output of the chip should remain constant if you can swap out digital odometer cables with read-out. I'm just concerned about energy input to the chip, as that might fry the chip if not controlled: It'd be like giving a lightbulb too much power (pop!). There might be a way to check a circuit board for how much energy is going to a chip, which would cost much less than getting a scanner.

sources:

- http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2010/10/ ... rking.html
- http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t105267 ... -dash.html
- http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/ ... 0_3125.jpg
- http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin ... -a-216290/
- http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es300-a ... mming.html

Dennis Blewett
2GN Member

Post by Dennis Blewett » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:19 pm

The large squarish chip appears to be a microcontroller.

I found this page: http://cardamp.ru/view_full_one.php?lan ... list=15304
Notes:

процессор маркирован как SC502495CFN2

File:

dodge_neon.zip

Type of a file:

Eeprom (MC68HC11E9)
That might be the thing that has to do with the odometer. I reason it'd be more complicated being a microcontroller. The little square next to the odometer cable plug-in seems to be related to temperature, so I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the coolant thermostat.

I found this website: http://www.obd2tool.com/blog/digiprog-i ... -software/

Seems to me that a person needs a digital programming tool as a way of manipulating the microcontroller. I guess if the microcontrollers were the same, then it might be possible to just unsolder and swap; but I don't know enough about microcontrollers to be firm on that belief.

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:56 pm

Just wanted to add something to this thread, 'for future reference'.

I recently changed the dash cluster on a 2001 Neon. (Non-Sentry/No SKIM.)
Apparently, the 'donor' cluster that I picked up, must have come out of a car with SKIM..... Because that stooopid red circle / dot came on, after I started the car up.

I removed the cluster, and pulled out the offensive bulb.
Problem solved.

It was not a big deal, but it would have saved me a bit of aggravation - Had I known to remove the bulb BEFORE I installed the cluster in the car - And replaced the dash pad, etc. :banghead:

Just wanted to mention this to others, who might be replacing a dash cluster - If you are installing a cluster, into a *NON*-SKIM or 'Non-sentry' Neon, from another car - It might be a good idea to check for the Sentry bulb, and remove it if necessary..... BEFORE installation. :idea: :)

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

AdioSS
2GN Member

Re: Anatomy of a gauge cluster with some pointers.

Post by AdioSS » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Which bulb is the skim bulb?

I know this is an old thread, but I’m new to these cars.
Cheston
2000 Plymouth Neon SOHC ATX
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:01 pm

Looking at the cluster from the front, it is on the right side. It is easiest to just pull the bulbs out on that side, and look for the one that is a round dot when holding it up to a light.

The icons for what is in front of the bulb will illuminate. Most of the bulbs are marked on the cardboard on the back, but I don't recall if the SKIM light is.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:58 pm

I’m guessing the one marked SEC?
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:25 am

Yes. After the bulb holder is twisted out, just hold it up to a light to be sure there is a round dot there.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

AdioSS
2GN Member

Post by AdioSS » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:50 pm

Yep. There are several empty holes. Gives me an idea.
Use multiple shift lights, but run the bulbs for them into these empty holes in the cluster.
Cheston
2018 GMC Sierra Z71 6.2L
1996 ImpalaSS

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:24 am

If you were to use them for something other than the marked purpose, you would EITHER need to cut the printed circuit going to them, and use something less than 12 volts. The LED's will blow if you put 12 volts to them. I have not measured the voltage that does go to the sockets, but I'm sure if 12 volts plus was applied to the socket without protecting the cluster board, it would probably end badly.

So, you would need to get 12 volt replacement LED's or bulbs, and cut the printed circuit, and solder a pair of wires to the socket contact operate the light. Not something to try if you have little experience with printed circuit boards and soldering. It could get ugly, and the wire would have to be pretty small gauge to keep its weight from eventually pulling it back off the board.

OR

Now if you knew what wires going to the cluster activated the light, either via voltage to, or a ground path, the cluster board would illuminate the light. But you would need a factory pin out and wiring diagram to see what wire or empty connector socket is related to that light. The pin out alone will not tell you if voltage is applied, or if it needs a ground path. That is where you need the schematic for each circuit you wish to use.

And unfortunately, the FSM does not list everything in one convenient place.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Interior”