Possible Coolant Smell??

Questions about interior lighting, shift knobs, just anything mainly to do with modifications on the inside of the car. Ask those questions here.
lilnicko11
2011 Silver Contributor

Possible Coolant Smell??

Post by lilnicko11 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:51 pm

IDK if it was just me or if it really is a coolant smell. But I warmed up the SRT4 yesterday and when I got in about 15 mins later it smelled weird. I think it smelled like coolant. After driving a while it went away. This could be related to my defrost problem and the hissss noise that is there for about the first 5 mins my car is running. Any Ideas? When I got my cd player replaced a guy broke a clip that was reglued together on the HVAC. Do you think that needs replacing or could the smell be from something else? Vacuum line?
2002 NEON ACR
2004 NEON SRT4
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club Member #50

LINK:
CARLISLE 2010 VIDEOS

dodgeguy482
2GN Member

Post by dodgeguy482 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:57 pm

Sounds like your heater core might be leaking. Here's the link to my post, and some of the feedback I got. I was having the same problem with a coolant smell. Turned out it was my heater core. Just got it replaced last week. Stupid heater core. :cussing:

viewtopic.php?t=47672

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:54 pm

IDK if the heater core would be hissing for the first 5 minutes, unless there was a huge trapped air pocket in it, that was leaking out the pin hole.
Anything is possible tho.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Passt
2GN Member

Post by Passt » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:22 am

How difficult is it to replace the heater core in our cars? I had a 92 Camaro and it sucked balls.

Chris04sxt
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Chris04sxt » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:47 am

Passt wrote:How difficult is it to replace the heater core in our cars? I had a 92 Camaro and it sucked balls.
It sucks major balls on the Neon. Count on at least 2 days, plus having the AC system evac'd and then re-charged.
2GN Feedback
MoxHair wrote:I'll leg hump you dude..
and then when I'm done you can leg hump me.

lilnicko11
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by lilnicko11 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:10 pm

Guys I found out its the HVAC. A Best Buy employee broke the inside/outside air clip on the back of the bezel when i got a new cd player put in. They reglued it but come to find out its stuck on the inside air. Thus causing my defrost to suck balls unless i have a window cracked. The smell I think is just crappy air thats built up from sitting and not being able to get new air circulate. So either I gotta figure out a way to fix the clip and get the outside air option working again or I gotta buy a new HVAC control. yucky.
2002 NEON ACR
2004 NEON SRT4

LINK:
CARLISLE 2010 VIDEOS

dbesade
2GN Member

Post by dbesade » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:16 pm

lilnicko11 wrote:Guys I found out its the HVAC. A Best Buy employee broke the inside/outside air clip on the back of the bezel when i got a new cd player put in. They reglued it but come to find out its stuck on the inside air. Thus causing my defrost to suck balls unless i have a window cracked. The smell I think is just crappy air thats built up from sitting and not being able to get new air circulate. So either I gotta figure out a way to fix the clip and get the outside air option working again or I gotta buy a new HVAC control. yucky.
I would think about having them replace the panel if they broke it.

-Dave
Project Log
2gn Feedback

1976 AMC/Jeep CJ7 w/304 CID V8
2005 Orange Blast Dodge Neon SRT-4 w/2.4T L4 Stage 2 w/Toys

Passt
2GN Member

Post by Passt » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Exactly. I'd go with option C and make whoever broke it fix your shit.

lilnicko11
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by lilnicko11 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:44 pm

yeah but its been like half a year now. how am i supposed to prove they broke it. itd be quite the long shot
2002 NEON ACR
2004 NEON SRT4

LINK:
CARLISLE 2010 VIDEOS

dbesade
2GN Member

Post by dbesade » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:01 pm

lilnicko11 wrote:yeah but its been like half a year now. how am i supposed to prove they broke it. itd be quite the long shot
See you have this wrong. Its been half a year how are they supposed to prove it wasn't them. If they were the last ones to remove the panel their on the hook. Don't you DARE let that terrible shithole rip you off. Go in there and demand someone's head until they repair your car or give you cash.

-Dave
Project Log
2gn Feedback

1976 AMC/Jeep CJ7 w/304 CID V8
2005 Orange Blast Dodge Neon SRT-4 w/2.4T L4 Stage 2 w/Toys

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:17 pm

dbesade wrote:
If they were the last ones to remove the panel their on the hook.
-Dave
But see, now they aren't the last ones who took it off. What's to say, they don't accuse him of breaking it when he took it off. Heck the person that broke it may not even work there anymore. Not sure why they would even need to remove the hvac controls to put a CD/radio in. I have only pulled the radio, and put the new one in it's place. Unless it is written on the work order that they pulled it, there is prolly little that can be done. If you are talking about the surround bezel that covers the whole center section, it has nothing to do with vacuum ports/lines. It is just a piece of trim. And a new one prolly cost more than the HVAC controls.

Edit: OK after reading your other thread, it is the clip on the rear of the HVAC controls that holds the vacuum harness to the rear of the unit correct? Or is it the "nipple" that goes into the harness?
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

lilnicko11
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by lilnicko11 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:57 am

ill get pics for u guys later on today.
2002 NEON ACR
2004 NEON SRT4

LINK:
CARLISLE 2010 VIDEOS

wiggyx
2GN Member

Post by wiggyx » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:30 pm

Just pick up a new one. No way BB is gonna cover than like some others have said. You bear the burden of proof in this situation, and there's just no way to prove it :(

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:00 pm

It just sux that you let them fix it without any documentation of it. I know at my shop if we break something we are obligated to fix it no matter what. So if customer wants new from dealer thats what they get.

I smoked my head once on a spring day getting into a 1990 Mazda Miata Convertible. Im about 5'10" and this car was tiny. Anyway I was doing a radioinstall well Not realizing the rear window was plastic I proceeded to put the top down so i wouldnt bang my head again. LOl well half way on putting the top down i hear a loud CRACK. The entire back plastic shattered into a million pieces. Long story short it cost me 500 bux to replace that bad boy.

Dont worry lilnicko11 were gonna get you up and running again.

half_twisted
2GN Member

Post by half_twisted » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:32 pm

you should check your rad cap. mine wasnt sealing like it should and after id turn off the car i could hear all the air coming out of the coolant over flow tank. inspect the rad cap and if it looks dried or cracked from the rubber seal then just replace it.

Broken Glass
2GN Member

Post by Broken Glass » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:37 pm

This happened to my brother in a difference car. He took it to the audio place in bestbuy, payed for the bill with no questions asked. It was clear the manager didnt want any trouble. it was a good 6 months at least between the incident and us taking it in

Return to “Interior”