Rear windows

Questions about interior lighting, shift knobs, just anything mainly to do with modifications on the inside of the car. Ask those questions here.
unc-newbie
2GN Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Rear windows

Post by unc-newbie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:05 pm

I have done some searching and haven't found anything yet. But is it possible to get the rear windows in the neon to roll all the way down. I was curious if anyone has attempted this yet.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran
Posts: 6517
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:58 pm
Location: NIN

Post by FAC3L3SS » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:11 pm

I believe they can not, due to the wheel wells. If you made it possible, then they'd never roll all the way up :rofl:
el. oh. el.

User avatar
Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Indiana

Post by Neon4Life » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:12 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote:I believe they can not, due to the wheel wells. If you made it possible, then they'd never roll all the way up :rofl:
you fool.


wth are you talking about....?

anyways. yes you can roll them all the way down. you gotta pull off the panel and remove like a lever and then it allows the window to go all the way down. ive never done it but im sure someone has. just wait for them to chime in.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran
Posts: 6517
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:58 pm
Location: NIN

Post by FAC3L3SS » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:15 pm

Hrm. Pics or links to a thread where this has been done? I'm fairly certain there are physical blocks.
el. oh. el.

User avatar
Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 4177
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Indiana

Post by Neon4Life » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:16 pm

i dont know. but hey anything is possible.


im sure someone has done it. well see what others say.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

Ntyvirus1
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:30 pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Post by Ntyvirus1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:21 pm

just curious y do u wan the windows to roll all the way down?
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000038

Image
hul kogan wrote: And from thy shadows he comes to rippeth thine buttholes. :lol
MoxHair wrote:You should never throw parts at a car.. You'll dent the exterior.

unc-newbie
2GN Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Post by unc-newbie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:47 pm

I had a couple friends with me the other day and one of them asked if it could be done. I was curious too because they wanted to roll the window all the way down and I told them they couldn't. So there question sparked my interest and here we are.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran
Posts: 6517
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:58 pm
Location: NIN

Post by FAC3L3SS » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:48 pm

Rip the door panel off and look yourself. See what's blocking, see what might stop it, free it, etc...
el. oh. el.

unc-newbie
2GN Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Post by unc-newbie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:53 pm

I was going to take a look at it tomorrow. The only reason I could think of is if the door wasn't big enough for the window to roll down all the way. I believe the front door is bigger than the rear. I am going to check tomorrow (first I am going to measure the window and then the door).

User avatar
Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 2693
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Sandusky, Ohio

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:57 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote:I believe they can not, due to the wheel wells. If you made it possible, then they'd never roll all the way up :rofl:
I'm pretty sure you're right.
Neon4Life wrote:you fool.


wth are you talking about....?

anyways. yes you can roll them all the way down. you gotta pull off the panel and remove like a lever and then it allows the window to go all the way down. ive never done it but im sure someone has. just wait for them to chime in.
I'm pretty sure you're wrong.
ImageImage
:mopar: :runaway:

User avatar
sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 9491
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:16 pm

I'll tell you right now Adam is 100% right, and Manny is an idiot.

What evidence do you have? you say.

Well first off; common sense.. The door arches there for the wheel well like Adam mentioned. second; rear windows don't go all the way down as a child safety precaution.

Finally, i KNOW because this past Thursday I pulled all 4 windows and regulators out of a neons doors so I saw first hand that it's not possible.
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran
Posts: 6517
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:58 pm
Location: NIN

Post by FAC3L3SS » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:17 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:I'll tell you right now Adam is 100% right, and Manny is an idiot.

What evidence do you have? you say.

Well first off; common sense.. The door arches there for the wheel well like Adam mentioned. second; rear windows don't go all the way down as a child safety precaution.

Finally, i KNOW because this past Thursday I pulled all 4 windows and regulators out of a neons doors so I saw first hand that it's not possible.
So I haz moar proof from two legit people from the site? Not enough for the great Man-zini.
el. oh. el.

User avatar
sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 9491
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 5:35 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:17 pm

^ :rofl:
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

occasional demons
Junior Admin
Posts: 19477
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 12:14 pm
Location: Ashland Ohio

Post by occasional demons » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Even if there weren't physical obstructions in the way, most car manufacturers would just make the track too short, and cap the end.

Like I said, most. I just seen a car the other day with the window all the way down, and a dog hanging out. But I didn't get a good enough look to see what make/model. Watching where I'm going pwns me, sorry. :)

They may have modded it tho, to keep the dog from choking it self on the window edge. It was just odd enough to catch my eye as it went past.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

Broken Glass
2GN Member
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:56 am
Contact:

Post by Broken Glass » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:59 am

In my dads SUV (2 rows) the rear windows roll all the way down. its an SUV tho
Image

User avatar
NiteHawk
2GN Member
Posts: 3130
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:48 am
Location: Export, PA
Contact:

Post by NiteHawk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:52 am

sidepipe87 wrote:I'll tell you right now Adam is 100% right, and Manny is an idiot.

What evidence do you have? you say.

Well first off; common sense.. The door arches there for the wheel well like Adam mentioned. second; rear windows don't go all the way down as a child safety precaution.

Finally, i KNOW because this past Thursday I pulled all 4 windows and regulators out of a neons doors so I saw first hand that it's not possible.
Heh, no joke there... Those rears were a royal pain to get out huh ryan?

I guess thats why you asked me to do them for you, LOL...
Matt Cresto
Fueled By Matt
Fueling Your Passion

Fuel systems turbo kits and components, tuning, performance parts. Contact us for all of your performance needs.

Jenni
2GN Member
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:33 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Post by Jenni » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:12 am

sidepipe87 wrote:...rear windows don't go all the way down as a child safety precaution.
Really? And Mercedes, BMW, Citroen and all the other companies make cars without child safety?
Cause it is more than NORMAL that the rear windows pull all the way down. Especially in bigger cars and Vans.

We have just the problem that the door is shaped to follow the wheels house. Problem in many 4-door compact cars.

Maybe you can trick the mechanism to win a few inches. Cause i guess they left a security distance. But you will not find a way to pull them completely down.


But really - who cares??? I sit in the front left seat all the time... :)

User avatar
DetergentCandy
2GN Member
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: Phoenix

Post by DetergentCandy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:22 am

Jenni wrote:
sidepipe87 wrote:...rear windows don't go all the way down as a child safety precaution.
Really? And Mercedes, BMW, Citroen and all the other companies make cars without child safety?
Cause it is more than NORMAL that the rear windows pull all the way down. Especially in bigger cars and Vans.
Europe is different than America, my friend.
Most rear car windows here, don't roll down all the way.
Like Occasional Demons said, MOST.

Jenni
2GN Member
Posts: 2499
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:33 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Post by Jenni » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:35 am

meeeh - you make all that big size vans. and they have no technical reason that the windows scroll not down.

But okay - they all could have electric windows that the driver can lock.

User avatar
Danteneon
Former Moderator
Posts: 9591
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:13 pm
Location: Manassas, VA

Post by Danteneon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:38 am

In the late 70's there was a kid who fell out of a rear window. At that time there was a big uproar about the fact that that could happen blah blah blah. So Chrysler took it apon themselves to make the rear windows not roll all the way down as a safety feature.

Back then, they simply bent the last 3 or 4 teeth on the regulator so the window stopped. I modified the ones on my Omni so it would roll all the way down (real easy to do). Chrysler has finally stopped adding this feature in resent years (my 02 Durango rear windows went all the way down). Hell, even the Caliber rolls down all the way (there is about a 1/4" of glass sticking up in the front of the rear window though).

All that said, I'm pretty sure that the design of the 1/4 panel wheel arch area keeps the window from sitting all the way down. I have been meaning to take my panels off to verifiy this for sure though :-k
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

Image

unc-newbie
2GN Member
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Post by unc-newbie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:34 pm

I know my mom drives a 2002 ford focus and the back windows don't go all the way down but they are power windows. I will be getting around to taking my panel off in about an hour and will see what we got.

User avatar
TheRandom1
2GN Veteran
Posts: 9938
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:17 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Post by TheRandom1 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:43 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:Manny is an idiot.
:laughing3:
Truer words have never been spoken... :rofl:
Image
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

User avatar
Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin
Posts: 12574
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:20 pm
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Post by Diablo0 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:57 pm

I would also like to bring my ideas to the table...

Those rear seat windows in larger vehicles that can be rolled down without any obstruction will more than likely also have a switch to kill the functionality of the rear switches. That way if a child is in the rear seat of a car the driver has the ability to disable the switches to prevent said children from escaping via the window.
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
Image
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

User avatar
NiteHawk
2GN Member
Posts: 3130
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:48 am
Location: Export, PA
Contact:

Post by NiteHawk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:12 pm

i can definitely speak from experience that there's no way to get the rear windows down the whole way because of their size compared to the space allowed inside the door. the only way it could have been done at all is if the rear window was a 2piece where the rear part of it didnt move...that would make the window shorter in length(front to back), allowing it to clear the wheel well hump in the doors...
Matt Cresto
Fueled By Matt
Fueling Your Passion

Fuel systems turbo kits and components, tuning, performance parts. Contact us for all of your performance needs.

mikeb818
2GN Member
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: SoCal

Post by mikeb818 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:12 am

NiteHawk wrote:i can definitely speak from experience that there's no way to get the rear windows down the whole way because of their size compared to the space allowed inside the door. the only way it could have been done at all is if the rear window was a 2piece where the rear part of it didnt move...that would make the window shorter in length(front to back), allowing it to clear the wheel well hump in the doors...
NiteHawk FTW
| 94 BMW 325i Sedan |
| 04 MTX Flame Red SXT |- TOTALLED

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran
Posts: 6517
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:58 pm
Location: NIN

Post by FAC3L3SS » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:34 am

NiteHawk wrote:i can definitely speak from experience that there's no way to get the rear windows down the whole way because of their size compared to the space allowed inside the door. the only way it could have been done at all is if the rear window was a 2piece where the rear part of it didnt move...that would make the window shorter in length(front to back), allowing it to clear the wheel well hump in the doors...
This is exactly how most rear windows roll all the way down. My mother's Jeep windows roll all the way down...but the back half is a second window. Take notice of what windows are single and what are two pieces, THEN look @ which go all the way down.
el. oh. el.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran
Posts: 12206
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:49 pm
Location: RI

Post by LilSparkPlug » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:58 am

Yeah there's no way in hell that would work. I've had my glass out plenty of times and it's just not possible with the design of the doors. My mom's 300c and my father's Nitro, the windows go all the way down but there is a switch in the front to lock the windows (good for annoying children who want to have window races).

05SEblue
2GN Member
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:09 pm
Location: Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Post by 05SEblue » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:17 pm

In my moms avenger they go down all the way too.
-Ty

Image

occasional demons
Junior Admin
Posts: 19477
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 12:14 pm
Location: Ashland Ohio

Post by occasional demons » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:40 pm

Notice he doesn't specify the windows.
Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

User avatar
Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor
Posts: 2693
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Sandusky, Ohio

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:42 am

Diablo0 wrote:I would also like to bring my ideas to the table...

Those rear seat windows in larger vehicles that can be rolled down without any obstruction will more than likely also have a switch to kill the functionality of the rear switches. That way if a child is in the rear seat of a car the driver has the ability to disable the switches to prevent said children from escaping via the window.
If you really don't want them to escape, never let them out of the basement. Or lock them in the trunk.
occasional demons wrote:Notice he doesn't specify the windows.
I don't think he's talking about the windows.
ImageImage
:mopar: :runaway:

Post Reply

Return to “Interior”