Pulling a dash, questions.

Questions about interior lighting, shift knobs, just anything mainly to do with modifications on the inside of the car. Ask those questions here.
Ramroid
2GN Member

Pulling a dash, questions.

Post by Ramroid » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:22 am

How big of a pain in the ass is it? I'm new to the Neon scene, swapped over from a long time e36 BMW a few months ago.

I know pulling a dash on the BMW was a massive undertaking, what about a 2nd gen neon? Any of you done it, have a how to, etc.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:24 am

Not a huge pain IMO. A few bolts along the top under the dash pad, 2-3 on each side, 2 at the center console area, drop the column and unplug the harnesses and hvac control cables and vacuum lines. I did it by myself with without much issue

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:28 am

sidepipe87 wrote:Not a huge pain IMO. A few bolts along the top under the dash pad, 2-3 on each side, 2 at the center console area, drop the column and unplug the harnesses and hvac control cables and vacuum lines. I did it by myself with without much issue
+

Thats good to hear. I have a donor car im swapping the dash from. It has a full black interior, so im getting rid of my gunmetal-ish guts. Planned on wrapping the dash in a Carbon-leather fabic, like in the new m3's. I did it on my bmw and it looked amazing, so i can't wait. Thanks for the response.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:36 am

Bill
dblsg wrote:ya'll a bunch of post whores
Seriously people, this is 2019 not 1920.
2001 Neon ES MTX with '02 R/T PCM
Help support 2GN!

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:57 am

occasional demons wrote:viewtopic.php?t=49477
Hell, the top portion is the only piece i'll even need to remove to wrap it. Thank god i dont have to pull it all out..lol. Thanks

Its either a full replacement with the black, or wrap it in the leather/carbon material. Decisions decisions.

Public Disturbance
2GN Member

Post by Public Disturbance » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:04 am

Ramroid wrote:
Hell, the top portion is the only piece i'll even need to remove to wrap it. Thank god i dont have to pull it all out..lol. Thanks

Its either a full replacement with the black, or wrap it in the leather/carbon material. Decisions decisions.
Unless your a interior god I dont think you would like the results of not taking the time to pull the dash out to wrap it.... do it once do it right

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:51 pm

It sounds to me like he just wants to wrap the dash cover, which will come off separately.
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:10 pm

Public Disturbance wrote:
Ramroid wrote:

Unless your a interior god I dont think you would like the results of not taking the time to pull the dash out to wrap it.... do it once do it right
Well, ive done a few interiors in my day. My 03 M3 had a complete redo from the factory. Changed it from a light gray to Carbon leather and black. Wasn't that hard to do actually, just have to have the right stuff and know how.

But like sidepipe said, im just wanting to do the cover atm, maybe the hvac panel or so..just a few pieces here and there so i have a nice little project when im not working.

Public Disturbance
2GN Member

Post by Public Disturbance » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:13 am

Ok I was thinking the main part of the dash my bad

Xployted77
2GN Member

Post by Xployted77 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:54 pm

If you are looking to do the HVAC etc.. you should check out rvinyl.com they have dash kits for the neon, they also carry rolls/wraps for a more DIY install. Just a thought. I used them for mine (not the roll) and it came out great. Ordered a roll lastnight to do more areas I wanted to do plus the dash, once I find a new one as mine has a crack in it that looks like the plate tectonics shifted. :(

Hope it helps and good luck, cant wait to see when you come up with.
------------------
01 Plymouth Neon
Project Xployted-In Progress
viewtopic.php?t=61264
-----------
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #201

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Xployted77 wrote:If you are looking to do the HVAC etc.. you should check out rvinyl.com they have dash kits for the neon, they also carry rolls/wraps for a more DIY install. Just a thought. I used them for mine (not the roll) and it came out great. Ordered a roll lastnight to do more areas I wanted to do plus the dash, once I find a new one as mine has a crack in it that looks like the plate tectonics shifted. :(

Hope it helps and good luck, cant wait to see when you come up with.
I have a roll leftover from my Beemer days. It should be enough to do some dash trim and the Hvac panel and the door panel insert. I plan on re-wrapping the doorpanels themselves in black vinyl and doing a Carbon accent somewhere. I'm just waiting on getting the car back from the shop.

Sam10920
2GN Member

Post by Sam10920 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:54 pm

I've wrapped the dash in cf fabric, finding a good heavy duty glue was a pain but once it was done looks really nice, especially at night adds a little more detail to the car without over doing it. Ill snap a pic when I get the car back from the shop.

Return to “Interior”