Upolstery paint?

Questions about interior lighting, shift knobs, just anything mainly to do with modifications on the inside of the car. Ask those questions here.
bobneon2k
2GN Member

Upolstery paint?

Post by bobneon2k » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:40 am

Until I can find and pay for a leather interior I am thinking of using upholstery paint to liven it up. primarily duplo color....

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/

The stuff seems good but i was wanting to get opinions on the idea. The plan is two tone and duplo doesn't make the second color I want in a fabric paint so I found this company which is also supposed to be good...

http://www.simplyspray.com/product/simp ... ric-paint/

I have heard of a friend of a friend who ended up having to replace his entire interior after using this stuff but the story sounds like the result of not doing the job right. I won't make that mistake but if anyone has a similar story or a general opinion on this I am all ears...
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

bobneon2k
2GN Member

Post by bobneon2k » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:07 pm

anyone...?
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

VampOfVegas
2GN Member

Post by VampOfVegas » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:22 am

Are you talking about your chairs or just the roof liner and door insert? From what I heard, the fabri paint/dye will rub off eventually and probably onto you. I haven't dealt with it personally, just hearsay. I've seen may people do the roof liner with succes, but another alternative would buy some black fabric from a craft store. There are some DIY out there.

But I could be talking about something entirely diff then what you want to do..

I'd google some forums with this same topic, I remember someone in my old Hyundai club did this.. but he eventually changed his seats to racing seats (SMH). The accent seats had like these star pattern on it.. it was horrible.

http://www.ByVampDesign.com USE CODE "2gn" for FREE SHIPPING OVER $25 only available in the cont. US

bobneon2k
2GN Member

Post by bobneon2k » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:21 pm

Ultimately the goal was to do the whole interior but color leeching onto me and my passengers was the concern. I have heard of guys doing their carpets and headliners successfully but seats have a questionable success rate.

Maybe the way to go is to have the seat reupholstered and paint everything else. Time for more research.

Thanks Vamp!
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

VampOfVegas
2GN Member

Post by VampOfVegas » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:40 pm

Np. Just wanted to save your clothes. No Bueno.

http://www.ByVampDesign.com USE CODE "2gn" for FREE SHIPPING OVER $25 only available in the cont. US

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:58 pm

bobneon2k wrote: Maybe the way to go is to have the seat reupholstered and paint everything else. Time for more research.
^ this....

I'm with ya bro, reupholstering is expensive but for the seats it seems to be the only way to get guaranteed results. Only reason I haven't done mine yet :banghead:
MY PROJECT LOG My Old 2002 ES AND My 2003 SXT

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

bobneon2k
2GN Member

Post by bobneon2k » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:07 am

Yeah, it sucks that there are no other options for these seats DCX really screwed us U.S. owners just in the interest of being cheap. Thanks daimler!
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

Bullet
n00b

Post by Bullet » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:22 pm

its a lil ricer but i spray painted my back set with some walmart 98cent paint it takes some time to dry and is sticky for a day tell dry but it worked and the set got soft after a week but its still black u could do that if u want to go cheep.

nineball
2GN Member

Post by nineball » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:10 pm

look into SEM products. never dealt with cloth buy i changed the leather and vinyl seats in another car from black to brown and they came out great.

here are the before. sorry about the size, only ones i had.

after cleaning and dye

mrsixstrings12
2GN Member

Post by mrsixstrings12 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:13 pm

i did my visors in the dupli-color spray and it feels/looks like sprayed fabric.

^^^that looks fantastic though!

2003 Neon SE

bobneon2k
2GN Member

Post by bobneon2k » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:09 am

Sorry about the late reply nineball but damn those came out great! too bad I don't have the time to take mine out but if I found another set cheap....
BOBNEON2K
2K Hunter Green ES MTX

Return to “Interior”