New from the Hartford, CT area

For Clubs and Events in: ME,NH,VT,MA,RI,CT
RisBMW
n00b

New from the Hartford, CT area

Post by RisBMW » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:28 pm

New to the forum and wanted to say Hi and ask some questions for those in the area. I'm trying to keep my kid's '02 4dr (very basic), 90K up and running for the summer. Are there any decent places in the area for used parts. Need a right front fender to start.... it's Patriot Blue but color doesn't matter. Throwing a P0420 code too but since it runs like crap I'll probably start with the upstream O2 sensor.

Thanks for any thoughts you can provide!
But Dad it's Purple!

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Best place for parts is forum users. For instance I have 2 spare drivers side fenders as do many other users here.

Before tossing sensors at it its wiser to correctly identify the problem. I doubt 02 has anything to do with code, po 420 is evaporative emissions, so fuel cap , purge canister, broken vaccum line to name a few possible causes.
Last edited by chew* on Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:05 pm

No parts here but :hello2: from Indy!
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:33 pm

chew* wrote:Best place for parts is forum users. For instance I have 2 spare drivers side fenders as do many other users here.

Before tossing sensors at it its wiser to correctly identify the problem. I doubt 02 has anything to do with code, po 420 is evaporative emissions, so fuel cap , purge canister, broken vaccum line to name a few possible causes.
It has nothing to do with emissions....

P0420 is the Catalytic Converter Inefficiency code. It's either A. your downstream O2 sensor or B. The catalytic converter is really clogged and needs to be replaced which would be more evident when the car is warm by having no power. That specific code does not have anything to do with the upstream O2 sensor.

Is the exhaust restricted or are you getting a decent amount of air out of the rear tailpipe? Unfortunately the downstream O2 sensors in these cars have nothing to do with their fuel trims so when they die they usually are not the root cause for the car running poorly.

If you have a P0420 code and decide to replace your downstream O2 sensor I highly recommend using an OEM replacement (as the aftermarket ones are garbage) and resetting the PCM by removing the negative battery cable for 10 minutes and reconnecting it so the adaptive memory in the computer can re-learn with the new sensor attached.

What other parts were you looking for?

RisBMW
n00b

Post by RisBMW » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:00 pm

chew* wrote:Best place for parts is forum users. For instance I have 2 spare drivers side fenders as do many other users here.
These things have an understeer problem? Just kidding... thanks for the input!
But Dad it's Purple!

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:02 pm

Oops po 421 is evap, my mistake.

420 is cat effec as krystal said, before buying o2 pull current 02 a.d have a look see in converter, the part closer to engine should be intact, if not suspect cat, not sensor. I have no cat and 420 mostly due to being to lazy to get rid of code, no driveability issues here, chances are if it runs that bad cat is clogged.

Return to “New England”