What is this ?

Want to show off you latest pictures that you took of your Neon or want to share a unique picture you found on the internet. Post them all here to share. Off-Topic Pictures (non-2GN related) should be placed in the Off-Topic Media board.
RainbowWrench
2GN Member

What is this ?

Post by RainbowWrench » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:33 pm

3 wires , yellow red , orange , black. Plugged into plastic , so nothing. In this little cubby. ImageImage

Sent from my S96Pro using Tapatalk

RainbowWrench :idea:

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Re: What is this ?

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:41 pm

Do you have a manual tranny? I'm guessing that this may be the wiring for the automatic shift console light.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:55 pm

It doesn't look like a factory connector.

Shifter bezel lighting was only one wire, pink IIRC.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:18 am

occasional demons wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:55 pm
It doesn't look like a factory connector.

Shifter bezel lighting was only one wire, pink IIRC.
This, He knows more than I do.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:33 am

The connector that I tapped into for my cubby light in both my 02 R/T and my SRT, had one black and one orange wire.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

RainbowWrench
2GN Member

Post by RainbowWrench » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:07 pm

I have an automatic 2002 SE, the shifter / gear selector light is two wires, a 194 bulb, which i recently replaced with an LED actually, looks wonderful, still no idea what this connector is , it fits perfectly into a groove on the back of the plastic cubby, just to the right of my rear window defrost button , which has the same type of connector, could've been after market radio equipment but I don't know, a family of 3 drunk drivers owned this poor neon just a couple years ago, my buddy after that gave it oil and gas, and now I have it, so far it runs wonderfully after some repairs, besides a new radiator leak.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:28 pm

RainbowWrench wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:07 pm
I have an automatic 2002 SE,....., besides a new radiator leak.

Radiator leak is probably a blessing. Given how the factory radiator and integral ATF heat exchanger like to mix fluids, that leak just may save your transaxle.

Replace it, don't even think about fixing it, not that plastic/aluminum radiators are all that fixable.

Neither the 2000 or 2001 neon wiring harnesses I have dealt with, had any connector that plugged into the cubby. AFAIK neither cubby had an unused connector blank to store an unused connector.

I think a long time ago, I posted a "King Dick" wrench next to bag of skittles. That has long been lost to PhotoPhucket.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

RainbowWrench
2GN Member

Post by RainbowWrench » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:57 pm

I bent the tabs along the front top side of the radiator to prevent leakage in that area, as it was due to damage from previous owners drunk driving shenanigans, and , as that pressure had other plans, and (recently learned) the coolant was overfilled recently (radiator temporary stop-leak) the leak at the QC stamp decided after a short drive later in the day, to spring a leak about 3 feet high in 2 small streams, eventually, with lack of options, and much frustration (I was to start my delivery job same-day) , I used JB Weld brand Super Weld (Cyanoacrylate) to fuse the minuscule crack. spread firmly and dried for 30 minutes in fresh warm air, this held on for a flawless 75 mph , 10 minute trip home. As it goes, I am going to replace the radiator ASAP, which will be Monday at the earliest.

Aside from that (sorry for my ramble on) I have to ask,
Why is it that the factory radiator and integral ATF heat exchanger like to mix fluid? Is it that the ATF HE is inside the radiator that we see on initial inspection of the vehicle?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:27 pm

The heat exchanger commonly develops a leak, that can either pump atf into the coolant, or coolant into the atf, or both.

Coolant in the atf is fatal if it caught quickly.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Picture Post”