Suspension plus a few new mods.... (56k I don't think so)

Want to show off you latest pictures that you took of your Neon or want to share a unique picture you found on the internet. Post them all here to share. Off-Topic Pictures (non-2GN related) should be placed in the Off-Topic Media board.
King Crab
2GN Member

Suspension plus a few new mods.... (56k I don't think so)

Post by King Crab » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:27 am

Well after long last I've finally swapped my suspension to Tokico HP's and H&R sports springs. :thumbup: The combination is incredible. Not a crazy drop, but absolutely the right one for me.

I have also recently re-located my "Plymouth" badges from the outside to the inside, shortened my antenna, added a trunk release button by the hood release, and got a Garmin 205w navigation unit.

I will be preforming one more mod as soon as the Mopar rear strut bar ever comes in from Modern Performance. They've had to push back the date they can get it in three times so far since I purchased it. :banghead:

At this point I must add a special thanks to:
03blackrt - Danteneon - hansken_yo & lambostealth for answering questions on the suspension. :D
LilSparkPlug for sharing her knowledge, that help me with my antenna. :D
Steelblue (last but, certainly not least) For her kind generosity as she gave me the trunk release button. :D

Suspension: side note* (first attempt on antenna, but wasn't short enough for me. You'll see what I mean later on)

Antenna:

"Plymouth" relocation: (and yes, they are the ones that I saved from my doors)

Trunk release: Thanks again to Steelblue

Navigation:

And "Yes" I know all about the crabs and the Kings stuff all over the inside and outside of my car. That's just how I roll.

Thank you for checking out my baby. :D
Last edited by King Crab on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
~David~

Mat00ES
2GN Member

Post by Mat00ES » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:41 am

Your car looks good, very clean. Care to share the knowledge about the antenna and trunk release? Two things I planned on doing, but I was just gonna bs it.
Dirty Daily Status
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000011

Nutmeg
2GN Member

Post by Nutmeg » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:07 am

Looks better man.

King Crab
2GN Member

Post by King Crab » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:14 am

Mat00ES wrote:Care to share the knowledge about the antenna and trunk release? Two things I planned on doing, but I was just gonna bs it.
As for the antenna - I took it off the car with a 10mm wrench, IIRC. Then put it in a vise and cut it to the length I wanted with a hacksaw. Next, while holding the antenna portion I cut in a vise, I wrapped the ball with a cloth and took hold with vise grips. I gave it a few twists and it popped right off. I then ground down the tip end that was going back on the car with a dremel so that the ball could be reattached. After putting some loctite inside the ball end and tapping the ball onto the antenna with a hammer I repainted it with some flat black paint. After all mine was black to begin with, and now she is good as new.

As for the trunk release button: I must confess that for right now it's just a button. My baby was manufactured in may of 1999 and does not have the wire harness as some later models did in the glove box. I have to figure out how to create a circuit and wire it up for the functionality portion. :( I will figure something out though. :D As my sentry trunk release doesn't always work on the first try. :cussing:

I hope this shed some light on them for you. :thumbup:
~David~

latief
2GN Member

Post by latief » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:27 am

How is the ride quality with these springs/ struts?

nice car :thumbup:

SteelBlue
2GN Member

Post by SteelBlue » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:29 am

Looks great David! So much better lowered and I especially love the Plymouth inside the doors; looks very classy. :) How are you liking the ride?
Crystal
02 Neon - SteelBlue, 08 Caliber SRT - Inferno Red, 08 Caliber SRT - Brilliant Black

King Crab
2GN Member

Post by King Crab » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:00 pm

I must say that the ride quality for a DD is phenomenal. Granted I've only been driving around on this setup for a few days and haven't really had a change to test her abilities yet, but it's only a very little (minute) rougher than stock. But OMG the handling is a joy, you want to talk about smooth cornering with total control. The response is as well, unbelievable. This is a great combination (in my opinion) of Struts/Springs.

As for the "Plymouth", most of you that know me know how very proud I am to own one. I however intended to relocate them lower down the door........ but it looks so clean without anything on the doors I just couldn't muck them up. So I came up with this contingency plan (to show my love of "Plymouth") on where to place them. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks they look good where they are placed. :D

Crystal, I can't thank you enough for your generosity for the Button. It truly is something very special to me.
~David~

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:26 pm

And "Yes" I know all about the crabs and the Kings stuff all over the inside and outside of my car. That's just how I roll.
lol very nice!

Wow, your car is so clean as usual. I'm jealous. Those springs do provide a nice drop. I like how the bag doesn't look like its sagging compared to the front, like with some springs.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

NeonBluSXT
2GN Member

Post by NeonBluSXT » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:37 pm

David everything you have done has turned out so wonderful... Big congrats to you for job well done indeed. I luv everything you have done. I dont even mind the crabs LOL :) Keep up the awesome work!

Ps. Keep an eye out on your Plymouth lettering, it tends to get scratched up in the location I have found. Im looking in to clear vinyl to put over mine now to keep that from happening to much :) just so you know of an option if needed.

My best to the family as always,
Dee Dee
Neon Blu SXT

TNK wrote:^i like this one, she's fiesty. :lol:
2005 Neon SXT ATX "Blu"

Mat00ES
2GN Member

Post by Mat00ES » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:27 pm

I have one of the 99 babies too, but I have a trunk release in my glovebox. I was thinking of just extending the wires over to that spot.
Dirty Daily Status
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000011

contagious18
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by contagious18 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:16 pm

looks good wit da drop.
Antagonist crew| Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000031
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2569968
http://contagious209.mybrute.com

hul kogan
Former Moderator

Post by hul kogan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:33 pm

looks great, David. i would love to see some new (and clear) headlights on your ride. other than that, it looks like you have it just the way you want!
Chris | 00 Dodge Neon (Dark Jewel) | 04 Dodge Neon R/T | 00 Honda S2000 |

Proud member of CYL [www.caughtyalookin.com]

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:47 pm

Great job David :D All the mods came together quite nicely :thumbup:

You are a better man than I...I couldn't get the ball to come off my antenna mast no matter what I did :shock: Your car is looking great, and of course, clean as always!
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

w0158981
2GN Member

Post by w0158981 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:25 pm

nice car, like the plymouth placement idea!

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:35 pm

Looks great! I know you didn't want a crazy drop, so that looks very fitting for you! It should get a tad bit lower as you drive with the new set-up on it. They have a "break-in" period. It's definately been a long time comin!
-Brodie
2002 Dodge Neon ACR - Needs LOTS of love, but I'm gonna slowly get her to where she deserves to be :)

measy27
2GN Member

Post by measy27 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:48 pm

Looks good. I lik ethe pedals..
'06 Nissan Murano S AWD

03blackrt
2GN Member

Post by 03blackrt » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:28 pm

:thumbup:

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:54 pm

I LOVE the Crabs everywhere! They're adorable. I saw the cutest one in northern MA the other day at a rest area. I should have grabbed him. I'm glad to see the antenna worked out well for you. :) That rocks.

I really like the drop too, though slammed cars look good I kinda like the rake these have and admire springs that keep it. It also helps with daily driveability. As for the headlights, I have a spare (just one don't ask why) chrome housing OEM headlight (00-02), its a driver's side. You can have it if you want it. Not sure what good it would do w/out a passenger but maybe you could find a passenger at a junk yard.

mattern248
2GN Member

Re: Suspension plus a few new mods.... (56k I don't think so

Post by mattern248 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:35 am

King Crab wrote:Well after long last I've finally swapped my suspension to Tokico HP's and H&R sports springs. :thumbup: The combination is incredible. Not a crazy drop, but absolutely the right one for me.

I have also recently re-located my "Plymouth" badges from the outside to the inside, shortened my antenna, added a trunk release button by the hood release, and got a Garmin 205w navigation unit.

I will be preforming one more mod as soon as the Mopar rear strut bar ever comes in from Modern Performance. They've had to push back the date they can get it in three times so far since I purchased it. :banghead:

At this point I must add a special thanks to:
03blackrt - Danteneon - hansken_yo & lambostealth for answering questions on the suspension. :D
LilSparkPlug for sharing her knowledge, that help me with my antenna. :D
Steelblue (last but, certainly not least) For her kind generosity as she gave me the trunk release button. :D

Suspension: side note* (first attempt on antenna, but wasn't short enough for me. You'll see what I mean later on)
Trunk release: Thanks again to Steelblue

Thank you for checking out my baby. :D

hey i have the trunk pop in the same spot!!! but what button did you use?????

King Crab
2GN Member

Post by King Crab » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:42 am

First and foremost I would like to say Thank you to everyone for the kind words, they are all greatly appreciated. They especially mean a great deal do to the fact that this place...... 2GN is all about Neon lovers and people who truly care. This is a great family! :headbang:

NeonBluSXT wrote:Ps. Keep an eye out on your Plymouth lettering, it tends to get scratched up in the location I have found. Dee Dee
:thumbup: Thanks for the heads up, my east coast buddy. :D I hope all is well on your end.
hul kogan wrote:looks great, David. i would love to see some new (and clear) headlights on your ride. other than that, it looks like you have it just the way you want!
Yes, Chris, I too would love new "CLEAR" headlights....... maybe soon. I clean them all the time and have used Meguiar’s PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and it did help out a bit, but unfortunately the problem lies inside from condensation. (I think)

Danteneon wrote:You are a better man than I...I couldn't get the ball to come off my antenna mast no matter what I did :shock:
No, John, not at all. I'm just lucky sometimes. Plus I had a great teacher.

supertrick_05 wrote:Looks great! I know you didn't want a crazy drop, so that looks very fitting for you! It should get a tad bit lower as you drive with the new set-up on it. They have a "break-in" period. It's definately been a long time comin!
Thanks, I thought at one point I wouldn't ever get it done. Even with the springs just sitting in the garage for like 8 months. But now that it is all said and done,it was well worth the wait! Good to know about the "break-in".
LilSparkPlug wrote:I LOVE the Crabs everywhere! They're adorable. I saw the cutest one in northern MA the other day at a rest area. I should have grabbed him. I'm glad to see the antenna worked out well for you. :) That rocks.

I really like the drop too, though slammed cars look good I kinda like the rake these have and admire springs that keep it. It also helps with daily driveability. As for the headlights, I have a spare (just one don't ask why) chrome housing OEM headlight (00-02), its a driver's side. You can have it if you want it. Not sure what good it would do w/out a passenger but maybe you could find a passenger at a junk yard.
I too love my crabs! I would have never attempted or even had known that you could have done that to the antenna. Your insight to many things is amazing. I also agree that our cars do look fantastic when slammed to the ground, but alas it just wasn't practical for my needs...... Damn, though. As for the headlight, that's a very sweet and tempting offer, but I respectfully decline as I have something in the works down the line. Thank you, the offer was appreciated.

mattern248 wrote:hey i have the trunk pop in the same spot!!! but what button did you use?????
You would have to ask SteelBlue as it was a gift from her. I believe she got it off another Neon from a j/y though, IIRC.

Thanks again, one and all, from this old guy........ "Pops" :eekdance:
~David~

SteelBlue
2GN Member

Post by SteelBlue » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:10 am

King Crab wrote:
mattern248 wrote:hey i have the trunk pop in the same spot!!! but what button did you use?????
You would have to ask SteelBlue as it was a gift from her. I believe she got it off another Neon from a j/y though, IIRC.
Yup, pulled it out of the glovebox of a 00 ES a few months ago. :)
Crystal
02 Neon - SteelBlue, 08 Caliber SRT - Inferno Red, 08 Caliber SRT - Brilliant Black

mattern248
2GN Member

Post by mattern248 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:31 pm

does it go to neons or was it just chillin in there cuz my big old ugly steel one is so ugly lol that one is nice and clean
93 talon tsi awd 430 awhp at 24 psi--sold
04 se to 2.0l srt daily whip
95 yzf 600 bored to a 750 weekend fun toy
97 camaro v6 supercharged teh wifeys
03 tiby---mommy mobile

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:27 pm

King Crab wrote: I too love my crabs! I would have never attempted or even had known that you could have done that to the antenna. Your insight to many things is amazing. I also agree that our cars do look fantastic when slammed to the ground, but alas it just wasn't practical for my needs...... Damn, though. As for the headlight, that's a very sweet and tempting offer, but I respectfully decline as I have something in the works down the line. Thank you, the offer was appreciated.
Oh you're quite welcome, it just hangs around up here in my room w/the rest of the parts. What exactly do you have in store hmmmmm? :twisted:

glasswars
2GN Veteran

Post by glasswars » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:35 pm

Looks GREAT! Your car is so clean lookin. Those chrome wheels actually flow too, IMO. The drop isn't that much for my personal taste but at least it's not stock ride height! Also I really dig the way you put the Plymouth badges. I think I'll do that with my R/T badges!
thisishalcyon.com
@halcyonphoto

MoxHair
2GN Member

Post by MoxHair » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:48 pm

is it hockey season yet?

car looks really good. I loved my H&R springs.
2017 Subaru WRX STI
Road Racing > Autocross > Spirited Driving > Sitting in Traffic > Mowing Lawns > Drag Racing

King Crab
2GN Member

Post by King Crab » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:20 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote: What exactly do you have in store hmmmmm? :twisted:
Well I usually get to do the fun stuff to my Neon twice a year, Birthday's & Christmas / Hanukkah. So whatever it is, it's going to be awhile :(
glasswars wrote:Looks GREAT! Your car is so clean lookin. Those chrome wheels actually flow too, IMO. The drop isn't that much for my personal taste but at least it's not stock ride height! Also I really dig the way you put the Plymouth badges. I think I'll do that with my R/T badges!
Thank you. I wish I had the same mad skills as both you and LilSprarkPlug have in the picture taking department, as my pictures taking skills (joke) don't show what I can see in person.

The relocation of the badges works for me but PLEASE don't, as you have an R/T and you must represent it loud and proud. Just my .02

MoxHair wrote:is it hockey season yet?

What can I say but...... You the man. You know your shit and I'm grateful, truly grateful I followed your recommendations.

And sadly it seems like an eternity since Hockey has been over..... :banghead: :cussing:
~David~

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:53 pm

Thank you! *blushes* if I lived closer to you I would take pictures for you. I offer it to the New England people because I love to do it, its a passion/hobby just like the car is. Well whenever you get the next chance to do something to the car, I hope it turns out as well as this did for you. I forgot to comment on the badge placement....that I really like.

SteelBlue
2GN Member

Post by SteelBlue » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:06 am

mattern248 wrote:does it go to neons or was it just chillin in there cuz my big old ugly steel one is so ugly lol that one is nice and clean
I'm assuming you meant the trunk popper button? Its the stock button that was installed in the car.

And so I don't totally hijack Davids thread--- headlight project? Do tell :lol:
Crystal

King Crab
2GN Member

Post by King Crab » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:56 am

Well all I can say at this point in time is that the stock headlights will be gone. I have a plan but, as I'm sure with everyone here, plans sometime change over the course of time. So who really knows which way the breeze will blow down the road.

As for my stock lights........ :cussing: They started going bad after only about a year or two, IIRC. I don't understand why this happens to some and not others. For instance, two weeks after I bought my baby new. My mom was also in the market for a new car. She was leaning towards *cough* Honda *cough* when I suggested that she take a look at the Neon for herself. Long story short, she went with the Neon. Hers is a Plymouth (as well) 2000 blue bare bones model, which is what she wanted and still to this day loves. So now here is the thing I was getting around to..................... The headlights are still clear and in perfect condition and whats the kicker is, she doesn't wash her car or care for her car the way I wash and care for my car. Don't get me wrong, she takes good care of her Neon. But what the HELL is that all about. If I didn't love my mom I would have switched headlights with her in the middle of the night whilst she was sound asleep....... :rofl2: (sarcasm)

[/rant]
~David~

NeonOn19s
2GN Member

Post by NeonOn19s » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:08 pm

King Crab wrote:
MoxHair wrote:is it hockey season yet?

What can I say but...... You the man. You know your shit and I'm grateful, truly grateful I followed your recommendations.

And sadly it seems like an eternity since Hockey has been over..... :banghead: :cussing:
I will have to say I can't wait for the hockey season to kick off again... I will be planning on getting some tickets to see the Redwings this year if I can....

BTW The car looks great!!! I think that the height that you have it at right now looks great. Keep it up!!
| Nathan |

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon til it Dies" Club Member # 72
Semper Fi!!! USMC

Return to “Picture Post”