Who knew this 1GN Hybrid existed ?

Want to show off you latest pictures that you took of your Neon or want to share a unique picture you found on the internet. Post them all here to share. Off-Topic Pictures (non-2GN related) should be placed in the Off-Topic Media board.
nerox
2011 Silver Contributor

Who knew this 1GN Hybrid existed ?

Post by nerox » Wed May 29, 2013 2:03 pm

Viking 25

Chrysler Neon – Electric Hybrid/Cng Conversion

Conversion of a Chrysler Neon to a hybrid vehicle with as little intrusion into the passenger compartment and trunk area as possible with components such as batteries, CNG tank and electric motor. The converted vehicle should retain all the desirable characteristics of the original Neon but achieve improved emissions (ULEV) standards in hybrid mode and zero emissions in electric mode.

Viking 25 is a stock Dodge Neon that was converted to an Electric Hybrid. This vehicle took fist place honors for consumer acceptability, application of advanced technology and range as well as heating, air conditioning and ventilation at the Hybrid Electric Vehicle Challenge in June 1995. In May 1996 swept its class in the Tour de Sol road rally winning best Neon conversion, lowest emissions, best use of materials, energy economy, range, consumer acceptance and engineering design. This vehicle meets ULEV!

Awards

1995 Hybrid Vehicle Competition
1st Place in the Following
Most Range
Best Use of Advanced Technology
Most Consumer Acceptable Vehicle
Best Heater, Ventilation and Air-conditioning System
3rd Place Overall

Vehicle Specifications And Modifications
Electric Motor:Unique Mobility 32 kilowatt SR 218 brushless DC motor and controller. The motor is mounted in the engine compartment. It utilizes a Morse HV chain drive adapted to the five speed Neon transmission.Batteries:5 kilowatt hours of Saft nickel cadmium battery mounted in two battery boxes under the rear passenger seat. A power supply manufactured by Xantrex will charge the battery in 6 hours from complete discharge. Running the car in a regenerative braking mode will quick charge the battery to 90% in approximately 15 minutes.I.C. Engine:Neon engine converted to run on fuel injected compressed natural gas.CNG Fuel Tank:An 80 liter EDO carbon fiber fuel tank mounted under the trunk floor with a Kevlar protective shield. A Sherex dual stage regulator reduces CNG pressure to 1.24 MPA. The fill receptacle is an ANSI/AGA NGV 1 mounted in the original gasoline filler space.
Control Strategy

The vehicle has three modes of operation: EV - Electric Only, Internal Combustion Engine Only (ICE), and Hybrid - Both Electric and ICE running together. To encourage electric vehicle operation, the vehicle always starts in the EV mode and stays in that mode unless the vehicle performance drops below what the operator desires. If the battery is nearly flat, performance will drop off and the car will be at full EV throttle position for too long (more than 6 sec) and a timer will signal a start up routine which will start the IC engine. Once the ICE has been started, it remains running until the vehicle has been shut down with the start-stop switch.
Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member UK#1

wickedgood4684
2GN Member

Post by wickedgood4684 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:20 pm

I got to ride in an all electric neon when I was in middle school, it was a white 4 door.
SRT-4 Challenge series
Season 1 Champion: gotheframe/tim and corey
Season 2 Champion: Greasydeuce/Dmonday
NTCC
Winter Series:
Drivers Chamion: Neon Nick/Squat BIG
Team Champions: Team Acura: miniMench & wicked221
Rookie of the year: Patriot 01/xxPATRIOT 01xx

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Wed May 29, 2013 4:39 pm

Is this the one that does 0-60 in like 30 seconds?

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed May 29, 2013 10:45 pm

:laughing3:
Still cool that this conversion was done that long ago.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

Return to “Picture Post”