SRT-4: A little dress-up and a new digital tool/toy

Want to show off you latest pictures that you took of your Neon or want to share a unique picture you found on the internet. Post them all here to share. Off-Topic Pictures (non-2GN related) should be placed in the Off-Topic Media board.
Arro
2GN Member

SRT-4: A little dress-up and a new digital tool/toy

Post by Arro » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:47 pm

Since I bought my SRT-4 in Dec, I spent most of the year just... *driving* it. I was in school and on overload semester schedules so there wasn't much time other than to sort out a few of the little issues (power steering rack sensor, oil pressure switch, upper torque mount, missing shifter bushings).

When I got it, this is how it looked:

Since then, I've added a couple small accents to the front and rear.

The smoked tails aren't completely black... which I kinda like because it looks like it came that way. Those are vinyl overlays I got for 12 bux off of Amazon. Lots of hairdryer time got them to stretch over the tails perfectly.

Also, there was the engine bay...

It came with that AEM intake when I got the car. I plan to strip it and polish it, because the red isn't quite the red I want. And because I'm a fan of chrome and polished stainless/aluminum.

Anyways, in the early summertime I wanted to clean up the bay and do some work before it got too hot outside to use my powdercoating oven. And here's the result:

Not bad... I did some work on the upper torque strut mount, taking out all the grubby casting marks and getting it smooth, then shooting it with a semigloss black ceramic. Also took a wire brush to the intake manifold and TB, and repainted the fuel rail cover. I think it will look better when the AEM intake is stripped and mirror polished, but that will have to wait until the later fall/early winter.

Still... it's better than it was.

Also, last week I decided to dedicate my aging 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab (the first version) to car media, maps, and....

And This.

Torque is a really cool little app for Android (and I think iOS) that lets you read OBD2 data in real time, via one of these:

I bought an Arkon telescopic mount designed specifically for my model of tablet... needed something with a long arm because of our crazy deep dash lol. I tried it located to the left of the steering wheel but I think so far I prefer it right here:

You can customize multiple layouts and can switch between them. I'm still experimenting with different combinations but I think I'm close to a final layout.

Here it is showing boost peak...

Alternative layout of gauges...

One of my home screens with media widgets...

What in-car cam shots and vids will look like:

Torque Pro has the ability to overlay your choice of readouts over a video recording for track use:

I can use Torque on any OBD2 vehicle. Torque lets you set up and switch between different profiles for different vehicles. There are more tools than just gauges and logging, such as error readouts, GPS integration for a variety of uses, mapping, drag time configurations, and much, much more.

Should be fun to toy with over the next year. So far I'm pretty happy with the car... Not sure how far I want to go with it. Honestly, it's pretty quick as is. I did get some S1 injectors (this being an '03 that would put it to '04 specs), but I haven't put them in just yet.

It got me around for half a school year, and so far over this summer, so I'm happy with this car. Still have a few things to iron out... need to repair the driver side left seat wing, need to replace the leaky P/S pump, and want to fix a few minor blemishes to the exterior (the newest on the spoiler). But for now, it makes a great DD car :)

Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it.
- A - R - R - O - 2000 - NEON SE - // - 2003 - SRT-4 -
Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651950
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #22

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:37 pm

...I feel like you could of spent better money elsewhere. The exterior of the car is great, the engine bay is fantastic, but that tablet ricer dash thingy-mabobber...

From the gauges I can see, you have coolant temp, volts, boost, timing and...throttle? The only thing I see of some value is timing, but you have nothing to base it off of without other values like air/fuel and knock.

If you gotta have it, then it's none of my business, but I'd suggest an Intune (or Trinity) and a AFR gauge. Then you can mount the Intune/Trinity just like you tablet and get gobs upon gobs more information at your finger tips. Not to mention the ability to then use that info and adjust your tune.

This kinda reminds me of Paul Walker's laptop, right before the floorboards flew off...

Arro
2GN Member

Post by Arro » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:22 pm

I would agree with you, except that I already had the tablet, the program is 5 bux, and the adapter was 12. There are way more readouts including a/f and knock and other things.

This doesn't replace an InTune because it can't program. But it's a cheap and easy and fun way to keep tabs on things, it logs everything the computer can see, and there are configurable alerts (no they don't scream "MANIFOLD DANGER" lol) in case you pass a threshold. The factory coolant gauge, for example, won't do that. Neither will the factory boost gauge, nor will most volt meters tell you if it dips too low... it won't show you knock on a hard pull or timing advance/retard (those both are how we used to tune DSM's along with EGT's), and .... this does all that.

For five bux. On a tablet, or my phone. There are graphs that show the fuel ratio which will be VERY visually helpful when tuning. That's better than a DSP does for you in terms of datalogging. DSP still needs software to read and display data. This doesn't.

Is it a one stop solution? Nope. Is it a great way to datalog and keep an eye on things? You bet. Is it a great way to help diagnose issues? DEFINITELY. It will pay for itself the first time it does so.

Like I said, five bux. Okay, with the adapter, under 20. No big deal. For a lot of usefulness. And even then, the Lite version is FREE, so really just pay for the adapter. The five bux gets you more customizations but most of the major functions are doable by the Lite version including logging.

Oh and it can also calculate other things like accelleration and launch times, 60 foot, 1/4, 1/8, etc.... remember this?

http://www.gtechpro.com/

It does most of what that does, too. And it can do it while overlayed in a video record if I want. So if I decide to try my hand at road racing this will be invaluable to see where I reduced or advanced throttle position on the turns, if my boost spiked when I didn't want it to, and so on and so forth... all the things you can't easily keep an eye on in real time.

It's not really a toy at all. Read up on it, and you'll see what I mean.

This with an InTune is actually going to be perfect if I ever intend to drive it on a track... which in a year or two I would like to do. The InTune is good because of the price, but from what I've read it's buggy and the interface is "ok" at best. This gives me a more comfortable visual supplement so that once I have an InTune I can use it far more effectively. That's the plan.

Edit: Here's a video of one of the more advanced uses for this thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vj0IWDCsI

This kind of feature actually can help make you a better *driver*. I'm interested in that.

There are lots of other videos including some that show this program's HUD mode capabilities.

Edit #2: You mentioned an AF gauge. Someone gave me a brand new, free narrowband Autometer A/F gauge. Which I know is basically useless wired up to our factory O2 sensor. SO... I plan to do this:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/reso ... ration.php

That uses a wideband that is designed to REPLACE your factory O2 and has multiple outputs... one of which goes to the ECU to simulate the factory O2 sensor. Another, which will run a programmed voltage conversion table so that I can use any narrowband as a generic readout for a wideband.

Oh, and that logs, too. So I'll have lots of logging going on and the only thing I'll need will be the InTune to complete the tuning picture. Oh and performance upgrades... but really I know these cars are capable of so much on stock hardware that I'm not even worried about it.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:38 pm

While I like those obd2 readers (I've got the rev app w/kiwi) I couldn't deal with that big honkin thing hanging from my windshield, I'd want it mounted down lower.
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

Arro
2GN Member

Post by Arro » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:57 pm

Yeah I'm not sure where it will end up. Or if most of the time I might just rock my phone with it instead, and run mostly alerts with like two or three desired readouts. That's the thing tho... it's flexible.

And... a tablet sized device can better use the HUD mode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIQPVxMbSJU

Hell, there's even a guy who does TWO devices at the same time... one in standard mode and one as a HUD for speed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTNCdKzE6sU

Edit: someone asked how it can log a/f's without a wideband. That's a good question! It does have a readout tho and shows the active PID for this car... I'm going to log it and see for myself. If not, then I'm still going to use the Innovative for a WB anyways and that logs. Even still there is a lot of usefulness in this app.

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:41 am

The PCM's Air Fuel PID is demanded air/fuel, not actual, so keep that in mind. It would be better to use a wideband.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:04 am

:withstupid:
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

Arro
2GN Member

Post by Arro » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:31 am

Still plan on it, using the Innovative link I provided.

mopar2
2GN Member

Post by mopar2 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:19 pm

Do you have that LM-1? They no longer make that anymore. All the time and trouble you would have trying to do that you could just get a bung welded on and use a wideband with better data. If you found a LM-1 to use they go for like $400. A decent wideband can be had for around $150.
2004 Dodge Neon SRT4 (New beast)
Owner of B&P Repair https://www.facebook.com/pages/B-and-P- ... 9500229160

trojmn
2GN Member

Post by trojmn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:48 pm

I can see why an all in one would be helpful. I use my trinity for diagnostics on other makes/models all the time.

Ive been eyeing the torque app overlay for quite a while. IIRC you can also input an external GPS antenna (maybe thats a competing app). the advantage is to overlay TPS, accelerometer, and other inputs into the camera field of view to help improve driving. Otherwise Its hard to get an idea of what you are doing with your feet from a dash cam ;-)

e.g. You may have hit your driving line in the vid, but if you had TPS/accelerometer overlay you would know that you way late on the throttle.
03 SRT
Now building for GS ;-)

Arro
2GN Member

Post by Arro » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:54 pm

mopar2 wrote:Do you have that LM-1? They no longer make that anymore. All the time and trouble you would have trying to do that you could just get a bung welded on and use a wideband with better data. If you found a LM-1 to use they go for like $400. A decent wideband can be had for around $150.
No not a full LM-1. LC-1 alone. It lacks the meter and such. It's just the sensor, the computer, and that's it. You have to use your own metering.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcar ... ctid=16168

Still available. Look at that, only $150 :) I don't need a meter because I have that free one ;) And the LC-1 will do what the other 150 buck meters won't... more than one output, no need for an additional bung, and programmable/loggable.
trojmn wrote:I can see why an all in one would be helpful. I use my trinity for diagnostics on other makes/models all the time.

Ive been eyeing the torque app overlay for quite a while. IIRC you can also input an external GPS antenna (maybe thats a competing app). the advantage is to overlay TPS, accelerometer, and other inputs into the camera field of view to help improve driving. Otherwise Its hard to get an idea of what you are doing with your feet from a dash cam ;-)

e.g. You may have hit your driving line in the vid, but if you had TPS/accelerometer overlay you would know that you way late on the throttle.

trojmn
2GN Member

Post by trojmn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:13 pm

Arro wrote:I
This kind of feature actually can help make you a better *driver*. I'm interested in that.
Ha, I didn't read your post all the way. Yes data logging is handy. Now go learn to drive. e.g. i now know when I F'd up a brake zone or turn-in when i do it and don't *usually* ;-) have to review a tape to correct it.
Arro wrote:I plan to do this:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/reso ... ration.php

Oh, and that logs, too. So I'll have lots of logging going on and the only thing I'll need will be the InTune to complete the tuning picture. Oh and performance upgrades... but really I know these cars are capable of so much on stock hardware that I'm not even worried about it.
yes keep it stock. but for tuning overlaying the wideband output ala Diablo Sport onto the other data t will make your tuner happy.

If you are learning to drive, buy some decent summer only tires and run in the new street tire stock classes in AutoX for cheap entertainment and the SRT is pretty competitive as is. Then go to STX... SMF.. DSP if you cant resist changing things.
03 SRT
Now building for GS ;-)

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:48 pm

and I thought my oil pressure gauge was too much................ :rofl:
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

Return to “Picture Post”