Can't get away from Neon's

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Can't get away from Neon's

Post by occasional demons » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:48 pm

My daughter complained about their Journey's fuel mileage, so they traded it on a 4WD Ram. :tardbang: :slap:

My wife's Forester gets about 8 mpg or more better than the Journey did, and still has a good amount of go power. Most reviews claim the Forester lacks in power, but hey, I don't care, if the insurance companies believe it, it keeps the rates down. :mrgreen:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:13 pm

occasional demons wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:48 pm
My daughter complained about their Journey's fuel mileage, so they traded it on a 4WD Ram. :tardbang: :slap:

My wife's Forester gets about 8 mpg or more better than the Journey did, and still has a good amount of go power. Most reviews claim the Forester lacks in power, but hey, I don't care, if the insurance companies believe it, it keeps the rates down. :mrgreen:
I have to keep reminding him NOT to reach 55mph in 20 FEET with the Journey and fuel mileage would increase dramatically! I've ridden with him a few times now in it and he has a lead foot like I had at his age. Of course gas was $1.25 back in 1981... and .59/gal from 1976 thru part of 1979!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:57 pm

04rebel wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:13 pm
occasional demons wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:48 pm

I have to keep reminding him NOT to reach 55mph in 20 FEET with the Journey and fuel mileage would increase dramatically! I've ridden with him a few times now in it and he has a lead foot like I had at his age. Of course gas was $1.25 back in 1981... and .59/gal from 1976 thru part of 1979!
It also dropped to $.64 for a brief period in the early '80's. I remember filling my 22 gallon thank for around $15. I think I did a happy dance before there was such a thing. :lol:

My 383 Polara got about 8 to 10 mpg, but yeah, gas was cheap. It still kept me broke, because my high school job only paid $2.30/hr. (Being a small restaurant, below a certain income threshold, and me being a high school student under the age of 18, minimum wage ($3.55/hr) was not required)

That car got the same mileage no matter how it was driven. My 440 '72 Charger I later had, on the other hand got 20 MPG without trying. It was having your cake, and actually getting to eat it. 20 mpg in those days usually meant a 70 hp 4 cylinder import, not a 440 powered beast.

Kind of every parent's nightmare. Plenty of power, and not as much worry about my funds being quickly depleted by driving further, or watching how I drove. With the Polara, I had to keep it pretty much to school, and work, to make it to the next payday. I didn't have enough money to get in trouble.

After that, I just had the good fortune of getting away with it. :P
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:49 pm

As a teenager, I had full time employ and pay from family owned VW specialty repair shop. I never worried about gas money or getting a car(I flipped too many to remember them all). $200.00/wk back then from '74-'77 made sure of that. :)
Was more of a problem when I went into the USMC and made frequent 96 hr pass swoops home from N.C. I once got caught without being able to find an OPEN gas station on the return trip to base in early '79 when the "2nd" gas shortage came about. Had to hike 15 miles with 2 5 gal cans to get to the only station open for 40 miles on the 95 corridor route! Man was I sore after that. A Trooper gave me a lift back to my car about a mile from the gas station! Made it back to base JUST IN TIME to not be listed AWOL! :)

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:56 pm

RECENT UPDATES:
The Journey is back up and running with a 90k mile trannie...total cost $1,100. Still loving the ride!
LUNA is doing well, but the car has turned into a d DEER MAGNET on my son's girlfriend this past 30 days!
First TAP on front end resulted in just a slight bend to the leading edge on the hood right above the pass side grill insert.
Second strike came 2 weeks later, when a deer ran into the drivers door...resulting in a rather pressure dent. NOT too bad, and when warmer weather comes will take the door panel off and do as good as possible to pop it back out. All door functions are fine...NO "bondo" on the door by evidence of the strike. Luna is coming up due for a 5k mile oil change already and has consumed just a quart since going on the road.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:18 pm

LOL, I tangled with a large racoon last Friday morning on my way to work. It ran out, made it across both lanes, then circled back and nailed my already deer mangled front fascia. I hit it at about 35 mph as I was already braking. When it hit the rear tires, it actually moved the rear sideways a few feet.

Did I say it was big?

It made me glad I had slowed, as it might not have turned out so well at 60 mph getting the rear kicked out like that, and it might have took the fascia off and drug that under the car too.

It just made me glad I didn't bother fixing it from the doe. My next daily will have a bit more ground clearance...
when warmer weather comes will take the door panel off and do as good as possible to pop it back out
It definitely pays to procrastinate at times.

When a mystery animal damaged my Kaminari front fascia, I didn't get in a hurry to shell out $450 for another one. 6 months later a guy backed into it and finished it off. His insurance bought the replacement, and a new fender.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:18 am

I will have an SRT front fascia for sale in the spring- I'm having a new one installed in March and will sell my existing one. [/off-topic]
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:35 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:18 am
I will have an SRT front fascia for sale in the spring- I'm having a new one installed in March and will sell my existing one. [/off-topic]
You're going to have the most non original, oem parts neon ever.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Mon May 24, 2021 5:52 am

Luna (and son's GF) successfully completed their junior year at college last week. My son with the journey and Luna packed up here gear and trekked back home to Pa. with no issues from either car. She came up here for the weekend before my son starts his new FULL TIME job today as a conductor/engineer for the WPSNY railroad. We put Luna's 15" alloys back on for the summer and gave her a good "look over", ALL looking good!
Decided that HER father or her mom's sig. other will work on the "Deer dents" over the summer where they are closer to her home.
The Journey is doing well after having replaced the radio/CD module that shorted and caused dash lights and 4.3 screen to stay on. Son still wishes it got the MPG the Neon gave.
Stay tuned....

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:50 pm

Luna and my son's GF have been up a couple of weekends thru the summer(?) and shortly after my last post I had to do both rear hubs as they were howling pretty bad. I has 1 new one on hand, but had to make a trip to where Baby is "resting" and take one off for the second. Both got more grease in the bearings before installation. Then the GF got a summer job that was 35 miles from her home Mon. thru Fri. Needless to say her family did not get to do the drivers door dent repair as of yet. She and Luna head back to college life in 2 weeks, so maybe there is hope yet. Otherwise Luna is doing FINE.
Hard to believe we are already done with the first week of August....Where did the summer go?
OH and the big news here is that I retired my 04 T&C and did replace it with a pretty well loaded '10 Buick Lucerne CXL.
Price was $2k and so far have only put $100.00 in parts to be road worthy. Had a bunch of wiring issues to get fixed up from poor quality grade wire. Was loads of fun tracking down and fixing harnesses without schematics! Biggest thing to do yet is to get the rear self leveling air shock system working again OR replace with load leveler shock conversion kit for much less cost in parts if it does not turn out to be more wiring issues. BUT I'm really liking the ride!
Journey(3.6 AWD) doing well and just passed the 192k mile mark and averaging 24 mpg

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:28 am

Glad the neon is doing well and you get to work on it from time to time. Sounds like you got a great deal on the Lucerne. Quick google search shows these common issues with it, might take note: https://repairpal.com/2010-buick-lucerne/problems

Also, wow looks like that 3.6 Journey is holding up great!

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:45 am

All things considered, all our rides are doing OK, just normal age/maint stuff for rustbelt NY cars.
The Buick has 127k miles on it and very little surface rust on rear arches. The only downside to my preferences is that it's Pearl WHITE. But at the price, I'm not arguing! Motor is CLEAN and runs great been pulling 26mpg in the short time it's been on the road all "local trips" not more than 30 miles one way. Wife says it needed the factory sunroof like her G6 to be more to her liking to drive the BWM (Big White Monster).
Was hard to give up my van, as we've had at least one for the last 28 straight years. Now I have to figure out alternate means for getting my annual firewood, as the van could handle towing 3.5 to 4 facecords per trip to get my 16 - 18 fc ... looks like the cost will go up some having to borrow a vehicle or pay for delivery. Car has a light duty hitch and am going to buy a small trailer to transport my riding mower and such(like my fuel oil barrel for the furnace. Diesel is holding around $3/gal at the Indian reservations.

BTW: thumb's up on the caliper work on your ride there MyNeonSaysHi ...

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:06 pm

Luna is back to college and did NOT get the door dent fixed. My son says I've done enough for his GF and let her work with her family on it.
This weekend I'm changing out the 4 O2 sensors on son's journey now that it has 193k miles and are original. When that's done it will be on to replacing the heater core to be ready for fast coming cold fall nights and WINTER.
Lucerne is being pampered, and wife claims I treat it as a newborn baby. It came with a class 2 hitch so I splurged and got a n adapter to 2" receiver and bought an adjustable height drawbar(total spent $86.00) Now to find a decent used 5x8 trailer...
Car has been running perfect and actual mpg of 26 with longest one way run of 30 miles, most are 15 or less. Found a line kit for the GM air shocks to convert it to manual fill and installed for $20. as the ride height sensor it needs is discontinued and nobody's got one.
Car got named by the wife as "the BWM" for Big White Monster ! ;)

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:21 am

heater core on a journey... that doesnt sound fun at all. Glad your vehicles are holding up well

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:31 pm

Actually cutting the tubes inside the cabin is not bad. I would not at 193k miles think of pulling the dash to "do it right"
Replaced the water pump on the BWM Lucerne this morning. Had developed a small coolant loss of 8 ounces during a 3 week period. Took all of 40 minutes START TO FINISH. Found the metal/RTV gasket had deteriorated between pump and engine. Had gotten a pump thru rock auto for whopping $25.00 all in(tax & shipping). Still watching for a trailer.....
Wife now back to school job, will chauffer her to work and home so son can use her car for a day and I can do the heater core and downstream O2 sensors. I did the upper ones last weekend before he insisted on taking the Journey to go visit the GF.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:50 pm

Wow you knocked that out! Hopefully that $25 waterpump holds up well! I tend to get OEM MFR parts with parts like that. I am sure it will be fine though. So the coolant loss was due to the waterpump. I take it it was leaking?

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:42 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:50 pm
Wow you knocked that out! Hopefully that $25 waterpump holds up well! I tend to get OEM MFR parts with parts like that. I am sure it will be fine though. So the coolant loss was due to the waterpump. I take it it was leaking?
Easiest water pump to do that I've ever done(and during my career, that was a LOT of them). They use an aluminum plate with RTV bead for the gasket. The RTV deteriorated and was seeping coolant out. At the price and EASE to do, even if it holds 18 months it would not bother me!

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:02 pm

Found the trailer I was looking for to be towed by the BWM! What looks to be an older U-Haul 4'x8' with 4' sides Aluminum frame and top rails/corners/floor. Price $700.00 Panels need a good repainting and trailer lighting wiring redone(looks pretty "ratty"), but has new trailer tires and is solid. Don't know about places of members here, but decent trailers are going high
(above the $1,200 mark) for a utility trailer. Picking it up tomorrow, with all the expenses of Sept bills for us thing may get a little tight. BUT can't pass this one up.
Panels on it are peeling black color, strongly thinking WHITE to come close to the Pearl White of the BWM!

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:53 pm

Luna and her driver gave me a bit of a scare Thurs. Son got a call from the GF asking about a strange "ticking" sound and said she immediately shut down and checked the oil level. Found it barely reading on the stick and had to top up 2 quarts to get it in the center of the safe zone. Noise went away. Had 5k on the last oil change and was due, son had already planned to do it over the weekend at her home.
All is OK, and they went to visit her dad and also had him look the car over and confirmed that my son was correct in his assessment when he changed the oil(and filter).
The poor girl has had a LOT on her plate this summer and fall, and my opinion is that she forgot to check her oil and top up as needed thru the last cycle. She did a lot more driving distances and really gave Luna some exercise this last oil change cycle. Son told her to keep better track on the oil, as that will KILL the car for her if let go. Money is real tight for her (basically on her own) and I think my son is subsidizing car costs, along with phone plan.
STAY TUNED! :)
PS the Journey is doing FINE.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:41 am

Sorry, but every woman I have known has never done anything to their car other then add gas to it. Checking oil level or tire pressure is a bit too hard. /sarcasm. That's where we come into play hahaha

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:20 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:41 am
Sorry, but every woman I have known has never done anything to their car other then add gas to it. Checking oil level or tire pressure is a bit too hard. /sarcasm. That's where we come into play hahaha
That may be true in most cases, but NOT with this young lady. She has done more to try and "keep up" her ride than my son has ever done with his old Neon or his DJ. Family issues, senior year college(maintaining 4.0 average on scholarship), COVID concerns, and a summer job that was 8 hr. days plus 40 mile one way drives for the "job" all combined against her. I really feel badly for her, and would really like to help her out more, winter is coming and the 14" rims/old snows that we gave her for use last winter are not up to the task for this year. Even 185/65R14 full snow tires are now going for $90.00+ EACH! She has the 15" alloys with good all season(shows M+S on sidewall) on now. BUT this will only be her 2nd winter driving experience. and a doozy of a winter is being prognosticated for our area this year.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:09 am

Wow that is really good to hear. Sounds like your son got an amazing lady. Yes everything is going up in price. Looks like wages are too quite a bit so that helps. Sorry, but your horrible winters, you can keep those there. :P

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:01 pm

"Luna" arrived at 11:00 this Sat. morning to spend Halloween weekend with us. Luna is doing well and arrived clean and pristine (other than small hood dent and larger drivers door dent, darned DEER) inside and out. Motor sounding good and all in order. I'm still trying to figure a way to help her get REAL snow tires for the fast coming winter. She say's she's going to talk with her father again about some help in that situation AGAIN. He was supposed to fix the deer dents this past summer ... that did not happen!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN to all left aboard here!

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:17 am

Happy Halloween to you too. Winter tires are a must in heavy snow ❄️ states

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:23 am

Yeah, I remember being shocked when reading the Owner's Manual for my SRT and finding out that I had to buy new tires for a new vehicle since DaimlerChrysler didn't recommend using the stock tires for winter driving.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:13 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:23 am
Yeah, I remember being shocked when reading the Owner's Manual for my SRT and finding out that I had to buy new tires for a new vehicle since DaimlerChrysler didn't recommend using the stock tires for winter driving.
But it hasn't actually been driven much in the winter has it?
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:40 pm

It was a DD its' first few years so, yes, it saw a few winters.

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:02 am

My son's girlfriend (and LUNA) are coming up Friday to spend New Years Eve and Day with us. My son has to work 1pm thru 1 am on train run.
Winter has been light so far, and I'm glad for that. LUNA is trying to get thru on 15" all seasons and son's journey gets driven home from work at hours that plow/sanders usually are NOT out. AWD and 4 studded snows are doing well with the little winter we've had so far. At least he has NOT "ditched" the Journey yet like he did so many times as when he had his Neon! ;)

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Sun May 15, 2022 8:54 pm

Short update: Luna and owner graduate from college next weekend. Her owner got a teachinmg position (8th grade science) at the middle school campus of the district my wife works in elementary school. Luna did well this winter with just a small trans oil leak due to spring clamps on lines to cooler in the radiator going weak. She kept track of oil level and "nursed it" till weather was decent enough and came to visit, and I replaced the clamps(hoses were OK).
The BWM let me down shortly after my dad had the stroke back in Jan., the interior fuse panel went bad, easy enough to replace but part cost was high ($450.) also the front wheel bearings had been replaced a year before I got the car and not many miles put on it. BUT the "tech" that did the job overtorqued the axle nuts and with the 100 mile a day use I had to put to the Buick made them start howling! Not hard at all to replace ONCE I could break the axle nut loose, and bearings came to $130. for both fronts.
My dad has had ups and downs, but is still fighting to get better and recover leg and arm use.

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:12 am

Well I've been quite busy this year, so thought another short update was in order.
Luna now transports her owner to her FULL STATUS teaching job! Luna(04sxt) is doing FINE, yet still wears her "bruises" from the 2 deer hits she suffered 2 years ago. Fluids have been well maintained and even oil consumption has been minimal for the 5k change intervals. I recently replaced front pads and the R rear wheel cylinder(started to seep. no shoe harm). Son's journey has needed a bit more NORMAL maint., as it now has over 218k miles on it AND I finally replaced the heater core in it!
My dad is still in a Nursing Home and I'm there 5 days / week for 5 hrs./day DOING therapy exercises that the center WILL NOT DO. Can't stand him up(by their rules)but he has gained left leg function but weak AND the left hand and arm are slowly coming back to some function.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”