MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Re: MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:42 am

Not much going on with the Neon, washed and waxed it a couple weeks ago and took it to a cars and coffee. Got lots of love.

Decided to paint the calipers red. Got tired of the orange, throws off the red wheels IMO. Plus it drove me nuts seeing the orange calipers behind the red wheels. Just doesn't look right. Used the duplicolor brush on kit. Supposedly you can do it without removing the caliper, but I decided to take the caliper bracket off and do the caliper has it hangs by a ziptie. Cleaned and re-greased the caliper slide pins, one was very very sticky. One of my pads, the "spring" that is on it was very loose and I couldn't get the caliper back on since it didn't want to fall in place. So I removed all the springs on the brake pads. Quick google search says it won't hurt anything not having those springs. I couldn't use the Caliper cleaner that came with the kit, it does not like powder coat and was eating at the orange powdercoat. So I just used a universal cleaner to clean the calIPERS with before painting them red. They came out alright. The paint is pretty forgiving. I also washed and waxed the wheels too since I had them off. I will do the rears another weekend. Some quick photos I took,.\\

Getting ready to be painted:
https://i.imgur.com/XL2JEUG.jpg

All painted:
https://i.imgur.com/jfQWYqS.jpg

Wheel on:
https://i.imgur.com/kAk7VnI.jpg

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:32 am

The caliper "repaint jobs looks great!
Until we got our G6 and now the Lucerne, I never had a car with rims that let one see much of the calipers at all. I guess you've "shown me the way" to me having to do mine! I guess the G6 would best be done in blue to match the body and not sure with the BWM for chrome wheels and so much trim?

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:23 pm

Looks a lot better. I was never a fan of the orange calipers.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:53 am

^The ORIGINAL owner had orange wheels and the orange cuda stripes on the side. So I guess it tied in with it. Only thing orange left is the catch can and the cam cover. But with red wheels, no way.

Not much going on with the car, just rolled over 25k miles the other day. I guess it has been almost a full year since I changed the oil. (9/17/2020 @ 23272) So I put hardly any miles on it which is kind of sad. I guess I need to change the oil since it has been almost a year. Oil still "looks" good, nice and clear. Not sure how much age hurts the oil when its in the crank case. I never do short trips when I do drive it, always gets up to temp.
Added that Royal Purple Max Clean to the gas to hopefully clean things up, heard good stuff about it. Did get a CEL ...was kind of excited to see it. It has been a while haha. Was the power steering switch code. So but a new Ps switch in, wasn't too bad and torqued to spec. Reset the CEL and it has been off ever since. Plus got new ATF+4 in there since quite a bit drained out when I took the sensor out and I wasn't that quick to get the new one it. ATF+4 is very slick! Put the wingless decklid back on. Really love the look with no wing. I have gone back and forth over the years, but the Neon SRT-4 just looks so much cleaner without it in my opinion. Car has less character without it but I have red wheels so that adds a bit to the "look at me"
Some pictures I took today. Car is kind of dirty, but not that bad.
https://i.imgur.com/SCGZkga.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9hQegTB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qKu1pVr.jpg

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:37 am

Nice. I love the wingless look on these cars.

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:17 pm

EITHER WAY, your ride looks GREAT! My BWM Lucerne would look like an ugly duckling with any type of rear wing. but I did like the looks of the same type wing on our old red plain Neon and the silver SXT of Luna.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:02 pm

thanks. so you had a srt-4 wing on your sxt? Yes some cars just shouldnt have a wing period.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:36 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:02 pm
thanks. so you had a srt-4 wing on your sxt? Yes some cars just shouldnt have a wing period.
Not sure if they have(had) the SAME wing of the SRT, but looks a lot alike to what you have now taken off. When Neon's were popular around here, most all had the wing on them. I do know the wing on our old red one was a factory (used) add on by the previous owner. Pretty sure Luna's came original. I did NOT get near as deep into the Neon cult as most of you guys to know the little "nuances" of the models. Just to know that the SRT's were few and far between around me, much like my 98 Avenger COUPE.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:40 pm

I'm probably alone with this opinion but I've always favored the SRT wing due to its outrageousness. LOL
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:20 am

It is outrageous. I remember seeing a SRT-4 at the dealership when they first came out and I laughed at the wing, I thought it was a bit too big. It really does give the car character and spice up the bland rear ends that the 03-05 neons have.

Nothing new with the Neon, been driving it a bit more. Changed the oil since it has been a year since I changed it. Just went with regular Mobil 1 5w-30 and their extended life filter. I let it drain over night, car wants to take more then 5 quarts when I fill it up which is interesting. I added the CBD CF fog covers that I had bought used quite a while back, ran those for a bit.
https://i.imgur.com/SGEy3dR.jpg

Then I didn't like how they fit, so I put them up for sale and sold and shipped them the same day. :) Instead of rocking the colormatched foglamp bezels I went back to the black ones.

Had a run in with this guy on the interstate. Looks to be a 2015ish Audi S5? I had passed him earlier just cruising, hardly any traffic at all, then he got up next to me in the passing lane and he took the hit. I had it in 3rd gear at the time in high revs, kind of anticipating something was going to happen due to his vanity plate lol. So off he goes, so I hit it after he did and had to reel him in. He was at my rear bumper in the other lane when I shifted to 4th and then I put a couple cars on him before I shut down. Not sure what mods he had, but for sure an exhaust. Know they are heavy cars and AWD I believe, I clearly had the advantage being a lightweight FWD turbo car from a high roll. Was a good run, we exchanged thumbs up. He seemed very surprised. I love the chances I get to open up my car, I mean whats the point of having a performance car if you can't go WOT? It still feels slow. It needs more power. I miss the feel of my Stage 3 car on e85. That thing ripped. 120 trap car for sure. I did snag a picture of that audi I ran:
https://i.imgur.com/W7MVBLs.jpg

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:48 am

I used to do things like that but now worry about other drivers possibly injuring themselves or innocent motorists... So many people nowadays really don't have any driving skills and take dangerous chances in traffic. But, since he gave you the "thumbs up", this is a difference situation.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:08 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:48 am
I used to do things like that but now worry about other drivers possibly injuring themselves or innocent motorists... So many people nowadays really don't have any driving skills and take dangerous chances in traffic. But, since he gave you the "thumbs up", this is a difference situation.
Hahaha its all good. I rarely get on it. I actually get a bit disappointed when I drive it to work and don't have a chance to let it rip through one gear or so. Lots of cops are out and about this time of the year with the cooler weather. Car is stupid loud with the WG dump tube to atmosphere. I can seriously scare people since it is so loud at WOT.

Brings back an old memory when I had my silver one. It just had the Mopar Stage 1 PCM, exhaust and intake at the time. There was a group of us SRT-4's out cruising and doing friendly pulls. I still remember running another silver one and we started to slow down after the run, when this OB SRT-4 50 trim car just came speeding by in the passing lane. It was stupid loud! I will always remember that. I think that car ended up having ring problems. This was before Diablosport, so the tuning on a big turbo car was very iffy. I plan on getting mine retuned since it has been years on this current tune.

I cleaned up the car and took some pictures at a park with my phone.

https://i.imgur.com/NKo6nHb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pOTTl9X.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tqbNrwm.jpg
Got the OEM black fog surrounds on, instead of the colormatched white ones:
https://i.imgur.com/eDmuKUm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vDZEgN3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XxkWDBn.jpg

My coolant temps have been running a bit hotter then normal. I noticed ever since I got the timing belt/waterpump job done. I remember reading that some waterpumps have a metal impeller and some are plastic. I had a mopar unit put in I forget what it had. I think it was metal. Car has a 180 thermostat in it. Cruising it seems to be fine, around 180-185. But sometimes when cruising I see it get around 190-195. Once I get to a stop I see it climb up to 195-205 which I am not used to seeing. Of course both fans kick on at the time. I think with the Diablo I can turn them on earlier.

So anyways I bought a new 180 thermostat, and radiator cap. I just remember when my silver one started to run hot, a new thermostat fixed it. I had a nice upper thermostat housing so I put that on too. :) The powder coated white one was like bubbling and looked horrible:

https://i.imgur.com/a9wEeDt.jpg

Installed:
https://i.imgur.com/hHU6jPP.jpg

I don't like how the hot radiator hose is right up against my fuel rail. Why is this? Because of the aftermarket injectors that require spacers :( So this pushes the fuel rail out.

Another random shot at work, had to park behind this Cobalt SS Supercharged. :)
https://i.imgur.com/D4cmkwz.jpg
Last edited by MyNeonSaysHi on Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:27 am

I prefer the black fog surrounds. They look good with the tinted fogs, too.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:48 pm

You know what, I think so too. ^^^

Well temps are the same as before. So I looked into it a bit more. which I should have prior. I noticed when the fans kicked on only the drivers side fan kicked on! So I inspected the passenger side fan and the connector to the fan was broken! Well remember I had my timing belt/waterpump done back in March? Well they noted on the repair bill that the AC system had to be discharged. Was told in person the AC compressor had to be moved or something "due to aftermarket parts" Which is fine since I know I have a bigger turbo on the car and solid mounts all around. Well I believe the mechanic smashed that connector when he was probably jacking up the motor. There is a hard AC line that sits right on that connector.
Connector:
https://i.imgur.com/5ghqqwj.jpg
I took that piece out you can see in the connector, its like a shell. Can't really see the male portion on the fan. But I will probably need a new fan assembly?

Another picture of it, look how its chewed up??? Weird.
https://i.imgur.com/nRrWkto.jpg

Haven't even looked yet, but I wonder how hard it is to remove the fan assembly from these cars? Waiting to hear back from the shop tomorrow. They said that the mechanic works on a thousand cars a year and probably won't remember if he broke it or not. :/ But he will ask "the team" and they will get back with me. I respect this shop. I don't let any random shop touch my car. Hopefully their integrity shines through. I never had any cooling issues with this car until after I got it back.
Short little video showing the temp and the fan not running:
https://i.imgur.com/EZ8dEL7.mp4

Looks like the OEM fan assembly is not offered anymore as of 2018. But there is a suitable aftermarket replacement. Looks like the on on MPX's site is the same one on eBay for $88 shipped.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:56 am

Been a while... Hope everyone is doing well. Not much going on with the Neon mod wise. Been driving it more often, putting miles on it.

As for the fan issue, the shop pretty much told me that it could have just vibrated up against it over the years and finally broke it. It is what it is. I do have the plastic intake manifold gasket which brings the intake manifold out a bit farther, plus I have the mishimoto radiator.

So I Bought that aftermarket dual fan assembly and put it in myself. Wasn't fun getting the old one or putting the new one in hahaha. Had to get the right angles. Mainly the hard AC line was an item that I had to maneuver around quite a bit. Luckily didn't have to remove the intake manifold or anything time consuming. Has been working great. Still a slight heat soak issue but nothing crazy due to having a bigger aftermarket turbo with no heat shields. When cruising around temps are perfect. When you come to a stop temps raise to around 190-194 , with a 180 thermostat. But doesn't go over 200 like before with only 1 fan working.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:43 am

i feel like some posts have been deleted from this log. no way last time i posted in this was in november........

went back to an oem style battery. since original battery tray had to be modified for the odyssey small battery tray i had to get another battery tray. :/

bought one from a guy who parts out multiple srt-4s. i asked for one without rust. i get one in the mail with a ton of rust! :( so he sends me out another one, has this orange crap all over it, but not as bad. i gave up wasn't worth complaining at this point since he sent me 2 at this point. another guy was selling one that was in great condition that he re-painted black. so i got that. plan on sanding and repainting the other ones. its a discontinued part, so i am sure they might go up in value since most are all rusted out who knows. i went with a cheap walmart battery. its holding up fine so far. has a 1 year warranty on it haha.

i also recently replaced my blown bc coilover cartridge. it blew due to my negligence. i believe i forgot to tighten the lower lock ring when i first installed them or when i was adjusting the ride height. might of just bumped loose. not sure. got the cartridge from bc for free since the coilovers were technically still under warranty. just been sitting on it for years. i lowered the rear a little bit too. plan on lowering it a little bit more in the rear. of course going to make sure that lower lock ring is nice and tight!

as you guys all know the used car market is insane and prices are going up on these cars. i am tossing around the idea of selling it and holding onto the money waiting on the bubble to burst in the car market. its a love and hate relationship with this car. if it was close to stock with all oem items like midnight riders i would be able to enjoy it more. but its not. too much work to return it back to stock turbo etc. car still has this annoying totally random lean spike when cruising. can never replicate it! its like the car doesn't get fuel for a split second. only happens when cruising..very randomly. some days it doesn't happen at all. WoT it has perfect AFR's. been going on for a couple years now. not sure if the injectors need to be cleaned again, if its the walbro 255 that has been in there since 2008 starting to take a dump? if its a sensor? if its a sticky valve? or exhaust leak? i just don't have want to mess with it. might just take it to a performance shop and see if they can figure it out with their scan tool. i know the compression wasn't the best on this car, same with the leakdown. :(

i think i am just ready for something newer at this point in my life. tired of having to look at AFRs all the time when cruising or wot and having to idle for a couple minutes before shutting it off due to the journal bearing turbo. i even worry when i drive it, afraid it will just randomly shut off in traffic hahaha. parts continue to get more scarce with these cars as they age. it would take a large amount of $ for me to consider selling it. end of the day it has always been paid off, insurance is stupid cheap and so is property tax.

just my rant for the night.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:50 am

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:43 am
if it was close to stock with all oem items like midnight riders i would be able to enjoy it more. but its not. too much work to return it back to stock turbo etc.
Yeah, it isn't cheap to keep these cars in good condition- I dropped $1,400 on mine at the dealership yesterday. :shock:

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:35 pm

The joys of modified cars. I have never been able to get my 2.4 swap to idle right, as long as the MAP sensor is connected. Disconnect it, and it idles perfect.

I have swapped out the MAP sensor with two different good ones, so it isn't the sensor. It even does it with the Syked PCM as well as the original PCM. TPS has been switched too, and no change.

If I ever get around to getting the Dark Jewel an engine, it's probably going to be just the basic 2.0 Magnum. I had zero issues with the 2.0 in my 2001, other than the miles catching up with it. It always ran without a hiccup.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:30 am

Yeah, it isn't cheap to keep these cars in good condition- I dropped $1,400 on mine at the dealership yesterday. :shock:
YIKES. that is a lot. should update your progress log and spill the beans with what you bought :P

bill, that is very weird. you are a very knowledgeable guy and that bad idle with map sensor connected still has you stumped. must be the wiring to the map sensor then perhaps??? any neon performance shops in your states?

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:51 am

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:30 am
YIKES. that is a lot. should update your progress log and spill the beans with what you bought :P
I have to work today so maybe I'll get around to doing that tonight when I get back home.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:05 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:

bill, that is very weird. you are a very knowledgeable guy and that bad idle with map sensor connected still has you stumped. must be the wiring to the map sensor then perhaps???

If the wiring was bad, unplugging the sensor wouldn't matter. The only issue is with idle. It runs fine otherwise. The 1988 Lebaron GTS my mother had had the same issue. A bad lope at idle, and pull the MAP sensor, it smoothed out. Try to drive it with the MAP sensor unplugged, and it wasn't happy.

It isn't really something that is worth spending money on, the car is nothing special, it's value isn't ever going to be that much with over 275,000 miles on the clock. No one really gives a shit if everything has been replaced, insurance will never pay out for what's invested. Unless you want to pay for special insurance, with a ton of restrictions.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:27 am

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Your wish is my command- my Progress Log has been updated.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:02 am

Car is listed on a couple car selling sites. If it sells it sells. If it doesn't it doesn't. Asking $21k. Got an offer for $18k already. If i don't get anymore offers close to that i might sell it for that. (if that offer holds through) Holding back for a while. Sellers market, and its Spring time with crazy inflation.

I lowered the rear a little bit today. Car is super clean all around right now.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:41 am

Aw, don't sell it- you'll have regrets if you do. I have noticed that eBay has some some SRT's for close to $30K when they have low miles and few mods.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:16 pm

I might. I usually do haha. Just want something newer and more refined really. SRT specific parts are getting harder to come by and being discontinued. If the car was stock turbo, or Stage 3 turbo I would be more inclined to hold onto it. I don't really have the time to revert it back to stock turbo,fuel,tune etc. But if it doesn't get $18k+ I have no reason to sell it. Might as well keep it. If I had more money I would just hold onto it and get another sporty car.

I took it out to the park today. Wow lowering the rear a tad helped out. Even all around pretty much now. I enjoy driving it, but not as much as I did when I was younger.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:55 pm

Lookin' good! Mine is out in the garage but I can't drive it due to the eyes situation :sad10:.

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:35 am

The car looks great! While I admit I'd be bummed if you got rid of it, I don't really blame you. I like to cycle through project vehicles every few years, so when the itch to change it up eventually happens, the current vehicle is never safe in the driveway. So I get it. Plus, now is an excellent time to sell. Good luck either way. If you end up with something else, please keep this log updated so I can see the progress with the new vehicle. I dig the clean aesthetic you lean towards, so it'll be interesting to see where you go next.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:36 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:55 pm
Lookin' good! Mine is out in the garage but I can't drive it due to the eyes situation :sad10:.
Thanks, its is a gorgeous car and will be missed.
he car looks great! While I admit I'd be bummed if you got rid of it, I don't really blame you. I like to cycle through project vehicles every few years, so when the itch to change it up eventually happens, the current vehicle is never safe in the driveway. So I get it. Plus, now is an excellent time to sell. Good luck either way. If you end up with something else, please keep this log updated so I can see the progress with the new vehicle. I dig the clean aesthetic you lean towards, so it'll be interesting to see where you go next.
Really appreciate it man! And you are exactly right about the market. I do love neons but I have to get my mind onto other things. Mainly newer cars that ride smoother with less rattles. Yes I did this before and went back into a Neon but I see first hand how parts are getting harder and harder to come by its making me a bit worried. Especially knowing how many of these things have been wrecked.

Not sure what I am going to get next but I will post it in here. It might be a while though. Since everything is so high right now.

Guy is flying out on Tuesday with his son then getting an uber to myself and driving it back to chicago area. $19k.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:41 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:36 pm
Guy is flying out on Tuesday with his son then getting an uber to myself and driving it back to chicago area. $19k.
Sorry to read this but at least you're getting good compensation. I hope that the new owner will take as good of care as you have.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon May 02, 2022 3:18 pm

He said he will be. He said its going in a heated garage.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Return to “Progress/Project Log”