MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Re: MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun May 08, 2022 12:19 am

Car sold on Tuesday. Honestly don't really miss it as of yet.

08 Acura TL-S

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun May 08, 2022 1:16 am

I had wondered if yours was the one mentioned on srtforums.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue May 10, 2022 4:00 am

now its time to figure out what i want to get next! I have some options and would like to hear feedback. i think its time to get something NEW. Never owned a NEW car in my life. Have been thinking about it especially with the prices of used cars being stupid high and in some cases higher than new prices. Want to be manual. I know some of these I am about to mention have great auto transmissions that shift very very fast. But I like the connection with a manual having a clutch pedal and being able to row through gears.

Stay FWD and get decent gas economy and okay performance? Lots more interior space too. Civic Si, VW GTI, Elantra N are some solid options. Priced $30-35k new. Leaning towards the Elantra N because it has the most power out of the 3 and looks very unique. reminds me of the neon srt-4 in a sense, get a slow base model with not much power and then there is the upper trim that can haul a$$ and have loads of fun in! looks like it was built in origami class. you either hate or love it. Can't beat the hyundai warranty. 5yr/60k bumper to bumper and 10yr/100k powetrain.

pictures here: https://tractionlife.com/2022-hyundai-e ... ve-review/

Or perhaps wait on the new civic type r? but who knows what kind of dealer mark-ups will be.

Want to keep it under 40k.

Then there are the RWD options. Lots of performance for the $$$. Toyota GR86... $29k! i think they look pretty sweet. 228hp now and more torque then previous gen. Yes, not the fastest..but I am sure it would be loads of fun. Weight right under 2900lbs, same 0-60 and quarter mile specs of a neon srt-4 pretty much. This car is highly considered too.

The Camaro LT1. I spec'd one out around $36k.(not many options) 6 speed manual.. 6.2 V8 with 455hp/455tq! Probably the best performance per dollar for a new car today. Trap around 115mph in the quarter and do 0-60 in low 4 seconds. Read of guys getting upper 25-30mpg on the highway. Not bad! I think they weigh under 3700lbs. Interior doesn't look the best, and very small of course. But it seems like all these newer cars have nice interior for the most part. Considering this one for sure! I don't mind the looks of the 2022. Prefer it over the common mustang. don't see too many new camaros out here.

A couple friends said I should wait for the new Nissan Z.. But I read that pricing is $41-$55k depending on trim and options. Seems to be very sought after when it does come out next year. Could only imagine the dealer markups. Also the Corolla GR. Sweet little AWD hatch with 300hp out of a 3cyl motor. But those will be marked up like CRAZY too. Love the new Corvettes, but out of my price range. Also the new Supra will be offered with a stick shift! But i can only imagine how much that will be too. Probably $60-70k :(

What do you guys think? Any new cars that catch your eye that are performance oriented and priced under $40k? What is scary is everything is so high priced and I see "market adjustment" stories. So it might be tough to get any of these cars at MSRP. But I refuse to pay OVER MSRP for any car, no matter how much I like it.

08 Acura TL-S

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue May 10, 2022 5:35 am

Challenger or Charger. I know, I'm predictable. Both imported from Canada but the only Mopars similar to what you have listed.

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue May 10, 2022 12:23 pm

I'd pick anything but the Camaro. I have a really strong dislike for those cars. I think they're ugly, for one, and the interior is absolutely gross. Easily the cheapest looking interior out of the three pony cars. Good performance for the price? Absolutely. But I have to feel comfortable and confident in my vehicles and the Camaro is just too unappealing to me. In your price range and situation, I'd be shopping slightly used Challenger Scat Packs. They're the best looking of the pony cars (IMO, of course) and a 485hp Hemi mated to a TR6060 sounds like a perfect match to me (it's the exact powertrain that I'd like to put in my truck). I know the new ones are above your price range, but I'd be fine with a low-mileage used example. But that's just me.

The Hyundai and the Corolla are both appealing to me, but the markups on the Toyota will be astronomical. I think a black Elantra N would actually make a nice sleeper, since they aren't exactly well known as performance cars. The black paint would kind of hide the huge black grill in the front and help it fly under the radar. Plus I'm sure the aftermarket is going to jump on it like they do with every new, high performance, turbo FWD application.

But anyway, I think you have some fun options on the table and I wish you luck in finding the right car at the right price. Exciting times. I look forward to seeing what you end up with. Well... unless it's the Camaro. Just kidding. But seriously.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed May 11, 2022 3:11 am

i lovED the Challengers and Chargers. But they are very very common out here! And they have a very bad reputation on getting stolen and seem to be owned by thugs. Only one you can get in a manual is the Challenger and honestly, tired of seeing them. Just a bad stigma around them in my opinion. Had a co-worker drive his 2016 challenger scat pack off of a bridge and die. Yes the Hellcat widebody looks amazing, but I don't have hellcat money or scatpack widebody money. To be truthful i don't want one anymore. Cars are land yachts. There was a time I wanted one, not anymore. I don't need the space either.

I hate the Camaros when they first came back in what 2005 or so? I thought they were very ugly. But they have gone through design changes and I think they look decent. Very sleek lines. I just can't get over the bang for your buck on these. This video sums it up : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zY_eTzkH9Y
I will have to see one in person at a local dealer and see if my mind changes. With the correct wheel choice and color i think they look pretty slick. I would order one if I were to get one.

Watched a new review on that Corolla GR, man that thing is butt ugly. No thank you.

As for the Elantra N, still considering that, but for a couple thousand more I could have a boat load more performance with the Camaro LT1

I will never own a black car. Too hard to keep clean. Had a black SRT-4 and it drove me nuts. They do look the best when clean. The big black grille is pretty quirky to me. But yes, black would hide it well.
Who knows if I can't get the right deal I am walking No rush. Already contacted a hyundai stealership and they are bugging the hell out of me.

For the time being got an exhaust leak fixed on my TL. I had a highflow resonator put in to replace 2 resonators on the OEM exhaust about 3 years ago or so. Well the weld broke badly, it was all rusted. So I had them just put a straight pipe in. A bit louder now, but sounds good in my opinion. Still utilize the factory cat and rear section. Was only $70 for them to do it, not bad. Took the guy only like 20 minutes.

08 Acura TL-S

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu May 12, 2022 12:20 am

okay. i am going to think hard about all this. seems like its impossible to get some of these cars and if you order one you could be 6 months-1 year out. ridicoulous. Gotta love the recession we are in. going to hold back and rethink things out

08 Acura TL-S

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu May 12, 2022 12:27 am

Sorry that my suggestions were so predictable and probably not very helpful. I had a job interview this morning for a planned facility that will recondition used cars. This is at a new car dealership that had a completely empty sales floor- sign of the times.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu May 12, 2022 9:38 am

Supply chain issues more than a recession. Cars would be sitting on the lots with no demand in a recession. There's plenty of demand, just no cars.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri May 13, 2022 1:53 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 12:27 am
Sorry that my suggestions were so predictable and probably not very helpful. I had a job interview this morning for a planned facility that will recondition used cars. This is at a new car dealership that had a completely empty sales floor- sign of the times.
no you are fine. i like hearing all opinions. yup all the dealerships out here are bare. i was at a chevy dealership and they had a 2021 Camaro 2SS with the 10 speed auto. Had 10k miles on it and they wanted $52k. LMAO! I got to sit in it and check it out. After seeing one in person I definitely do not want one! Not my style.
I think I am going to go with a Hyundai Elantra N in ceramic white with the 6 speed manual. I can get one at MSRP. They have to order it, 4-6 month wait. I think that fits my style a bit better. If the deal doesn't fall through, no biggy.
Supply chain issues more than a recession. Cars would be sitting on the lots with no demand in a recession. There's plenty of demand, just no cars.
That is true. But our last recession was during Covid. shortest recession ever. And there was a supply shortage with no cars on lots then too due to the chip shortage. "The last recorded recession took place in 2020, when the coronavirus pandemic spurred mass shutdowns and layoffs across the U.S. Since, however, the U.S. economy has seen a stunning recovery. The labor market has added back millions of jobs and is nearing its pre-pandemic state"

08 Acura TL-S

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Fri May 13, 2022 11:14 am

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 1:53 am
I think I am going to go with a Hyundai Elantra N in ceramic white with the 6 speed manual. I can get one at MSRP. They have to order it, 4-6 month wait. I think that fits my style a bit better.
Nice! I think those are really cool cars. I find it really interesting to see how far brands like Hyundai and Kia have come, in terms of quality and desireability. Now they both have some legitimately cool performance variants out there. Have you ever looked at the Kia Stinger? I think they're super cool. Maybe a little odd, but they do catch my attention every time I see one and I think it would be a fun car to drive.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat May 14, 2022 3:23 am

Yeah me too. I never thought I would even consider a Hyundai let alone a Elantra. Wish dodge would come out with a fun car again. All they have are huge overpriced land yachts. :( Put a refundable $500 deposit down on one today. 4-6 months out. Might turn into a 2023 model. Waiting sucks and I hope the process goes smoothly when the time comes and they don't pull some BS with me. I see that happening all too often now.

Oh yes the Stinger GT is very sweet. I was thinking about one of those for a while now. They are very very quick with a simple exhaust and tune. But as you know prices are very high, I think they start at like $45k now. Sales tax is 9.475% out here in Kansas, I think one of the top 3 in the nation. :( So that would add a huge sum to the price of the car. Its a large car and only offered with an automatic with the desirable v6. I really want to have a manual as my "fun" car. I don't care how much faster these autos are. I want a 3rd pedal :)

08 Acura TL-S

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Mon May 16, 2022 12:53 pm

Ah, I didn't know about the auto-only option. That really sucks.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”