Turbodudey/quicksilvr MegaSquirt & Turbo Build

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:32 am

there is no such thing as excess power!!!!!!! :rofl: nice work yo.
| - John || Project Log || Official I'm Going To Drive My Neon Till It Dies Club #000001 |
Everyone knows that for breasts to be "perfect" they need to be within reach.

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:24 am

hansken_yo wrote:there is no such thing as excess power!!!!!!! :rofl: nice work yo.

Arg. Not quite. This is verging on rediculous, but it is the truth. You know how the title says "Running again"? Well, not so much.

My dad blew the headgasket a couple days ago. Compression now looks like this: Cyl 1 - 0, Cyl 2 - 20, Cyl 3 - 120, Cyl 4 - 10. The head lifts a little more than the gasket can handle when you do a long pull and you're making lots of power. We will probably install a modified headgasket with more layers in order to handle high boost. I really really want it to run for more than a couple weeks after this fix. :lol:
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon R/T

TurboVanDan
2GN Member

Post by TurboVanDan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:02 am

Okay... This time, we put it back together with a custom head gasket, trailer it to the dyno shop, get a nice crisp printout (suitable for framing) from the dyno documenting the crazy power output of this thing, and then park it. That way, when we need to move it out of the way, we can at least start it up, idle it around a little bit, and shut it back off.

It's crazy.
-Dan
~2002 Dodge Neon Turbo~2002 Dodge Dakota Sport V8~2003 Dodge Durango SLT V8~1964 Plymouth Fury 2-door Hardtop 383 4-speed

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:50 am

quicksilvr wrote:
hansken_yo wrote:there is no such thing as excess power!!!!!!! :rofl: nice work yo.

Arg. Not quite. This is verging on rediculous, but it is the truth. You know how the title says "Running again"? Well, not so much.

My dad blew the headgasket a couple days ago. Compression now looks like this: Cyl 1 - 0, Cyl 2 - 20, Cyl 3 - 120, Cyl 4 - 10. The head lifts a little more than the gasket can handle when you do a long pull and you're making lots of power. We will probably install a modified headgasket with more layers in order to handle high boost. I really really want it to run for more than a couple weeks after this fix. :lol:
Damn total bummer! Did it ever get fixed?

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:42 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
quicksilvr wrote:

Damn total bummer! Did it ever get fixed?
Not yet. Too much stuff going on. The car is under a car cover in a storage unit right now. After I fix up this '98 Plymouth Neon that I'm working on as a project car to sell, we'll probably dive into the rumblebee. Eventually. I'd like to have it running by spring time.
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon R/T

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:13 am

Ok, cool.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

sxtdude
2GN Member

Post by sxtdude » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:54 am

Love the project guys been following the whole thing. Good work. I'll be doing a similar project soon. :D

n20sxt
2GN Member

Post by n20sxt » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:51 pm

head lift?
are you useing stock head studs??
Budget Boost FTW

turbodudey
2GN Member

Post by turbodudey » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:27 pm

n20sxt wrote:head lift?
are you useing stock head studs??
No. I have ARP head studs.

It was detonating some too, so that combined with very high cylinder pressures can kill a gasket pretty quick. I was planning on detuning to avoid the detonation, but then I never got around to it...
~Josh

'07 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4x4
'96 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:25 pm

And it was a Fel-Pro gasket...which are good gaskets, but not top-of-the-line. It needs a Cometic gasket when it gets replaced.
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon R/T

turbodudey
2GN Member

Post by turbodudey » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Actually I was thinking a +.010" Mopar gasket would do nicely. Cometic makes several random gasket thicknesses as well, but I have no idea where to find them. And I think mopar might be better anyway. Plus I'm not really a fan of the fluoroelastomer coating...
~Josh

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:03 pm

Yeah, that sounds good. I didn't know those were available. Where do you track that down at?

PS. We're moving your car out of the storage unit tomorrow.
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon R/T

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:32 pm

quicksilvr wrote:And it was a Fel-Pro gasket...which are good gaskets, but not top-of-the-line. It needs a Cometic gasket when it gets replaced.
I ran a TON of boost through mine with a fel-pro gasket. There's either a torque problem, a surface problem, or a tuning problem. There's nothing wrong with the fel-pro gaskets, even if the cometic ones are better.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:54 pm

I'm going with a combination of torque and tuning. Not enough of either. Actually, just too aggressive on the tune for that kind of driving. (the gasket blew at about 120mph). And the head probably wasn't torqued quite tight enough.

Hey Erick, what do you think about using a Crane 14 in this car? Josh and I were just talking about it today, and are probably going to try it out.
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon R/T

TurboVanDan
2GN Member

Post by TurboVanDan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:40 am

Wait... I thought that the Crane 14 was more of an "all motor" profile. And not so compatible with virtual displacement. Won't you have to do even more tuning "gymnastics" to make a Crane 14 work with the turbo...??
-Dan
~2002 Dodge Neon Turbo~2002 Dodge Dakota Sport V8~2003 Dodge Durango SLT V8~1964 Plymouth Fury 2-door Hardtop 383 4-speed

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:16 am

Yeah, I was under the assumption that the Crane 12 and Comp 400 were the most ideal boost cams due to the lack of I/E valve overlap.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

turbodudey
2GN Member

Post by turbodudey » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:37 pm

The shorter exhaust duration on the 12 does help spool turbos sooner, but the combination of a small turbo and a head that flows as much as a 6-cylinder engine, quick spool is not a problem. I wouldn't mind if boost didn't come on till a bit later actually, and the 14 should do that. It should shift the powerband higher, delay boost a little, and probably increase peak power output.
~Josh

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:07 pm

I have a crane 004 I'm willing to trade for the 14! It's an older version of the crane 007, which is listed on howell's site as a high rpm/boost cam. It has the same lift as the 14 but with more duration.
So many neons so little time.

hybrid-Srt2001
2GN Member

Post by hybrid-Srt2001 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:24 pm

you can haz pm

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:30 pm

Hey, no selling your crap in our progress log. :beatstick:

:lol: J/K.
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon R/T

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:18 am

UPDATE

The car is going on a road trip to Colorado. :cool: On a trailer though... along with some shiny new Wiseco pistons and other parts. Then, after it's put back together, I would like to properly use it's awesomeness by driving it to Carlisle this summer.

I'll take pictures of the trip this next weekend and post them up.
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon R/T

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:07 am

quicksilvr wrote:I'm going with a combination of torque and tuning. Not enough of either. Actually, just too aggressive on the tune for that kind of driving. (the gasket blew at about 120mph). And the head probably wasn't torqued quite tight enough.

Hey Erick, what do you think about using a Crane 14 in this car? Josh and I were just talking about it today, and are probably going to try it out.
Sorry, wasn't paying attention. Good cam if you plan on revving high, like you said. How efficient is your exhaust manifold/turbo? It's a lot easier to run cams with overlap if you can keep manifold pressures down. If you're on a log with a teeny little exhaust side on the turbo, I wouldn't do it. The reversion just would take too much RPM to overcome, and it would be a dog until suddenly the reversion goes away.

I have the luxury of using lots of overlap in my car because my turbo is so huge and I'm running around 18" equal length runners. On my old setup with the log and 16g, I would have gone with probably the comp400, but if I were using the same stuff I have now on the SOHC, I wouldn't hesitate to use a much bigger cam.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

hybrid-Srt2001
2GN Member

Post by hybrid-Srt2001 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:12 pm

turbodudey wrote:Actually I was thinking a +.010" Mopar gasket would do nicely. Cometic makes several random gasket thicknesses as well, but I have no idea where to find them. And I think mopar might be better anyway. Plus I'm not really a fan of the fluoroelastomer coating...

where can i find a thicker mopar gasket?
ImageImage
[/quote]Yup it definately needs to go lower. If its not scrapeing constantly why you are driving then its not low enough bro. :lol:[/quote]

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:32 pm

You can call a Dodge dealer, or Fel-pro makes a .010" thicker head gasket. Cometic will custom make you a headgasket that is (supposedly) reuseable, and they'll do custom sized ones.
So many neons so little time.

hybrid-Srt2001
2GN Member

Post by hybrid-Srt2001 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:02 pm

:thumbup: thanks dude :D
ImageImage
[/quote]Yup it definately needs to go lower. If its not scrapeing constantly why you are driving then its not low enough bro. :lol:[/quote]

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:31 pm

esteinmaier wrote:
quicksilvr wrote:I'm going with a combination of torque and tuning. Not enough of either. Actually, just too aggressive on the tune for that kind of driving. (the gasket blew at about 120mph). And the head probably wasn't torqued quite tight enough.

Sorry, wasn't paying attention. Good cam if you plan on revving high, like you said. How efficient is your exhaust manifold/turbo? It's a lot easier to run cams with overlap if you can keep manifold pressures down. If you're on a log with a teeny little exhaust side on the turbo, I wouldn't do it. The reversion just would take too much RPM to overcome, and it would be a dog until suddenly the reversion goes away.

I have the luxury of using lots of overlap in my car because my turbo is so huge and I'm running around 18" equal length runners. On my old setup with the log and 16g, I would have gone with probably the comp400, but if I were using the same stuff I have now on the SOHC, I wouldn't hesitate to use a much bigger cam.

It's a stock TD04 turbo, but a ported manifold. On the verge of being too small for the 14. But i suppose we won't know until he tries it. I think we've learned from our mistakes thus far, and the engine should stay together this time. Meaning, we can get it to a track and the dyno again, and see what the numbers are. After that if we're satisfied, it's my personal feeling that it needs a bigger turbo. Something that will make 400hp. The car is just a toy now anyway....so why not make it a crazy toy. :thumbup:
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon R/T

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:34 am

We're in Colorado with the car right now. I've got some travel pics and we'll have some pics from a little work we do tomorrow before Dad and I head back to MO.
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon R/T

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:00 am

The yellow beast made it to Colorado!?!? :lol: I kid I kid. On a side note you take the damn door handle out of your car?

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:54 am

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:The yellow beast made it to Colorado!?!? :lol: I kid I kid. On a side note you take the damn door handle out of your car?

lol, yes.

Side note: haven't had 2 minutes to even touch the car. I should be able to work on it by tuesday of next week. I'll let you know as soon as I get it off. :thumbup:
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon R/T

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:54 pm

Yea, I'd probably go smaller than the 14 if you plan on keeping that turbo. If you're going bigger and putting on a manifold with runners instead of a log (to keep manifold pressures down close to the head) then it would be good.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”