yellowpatrol's SRT-4 to SRT-4 swap : Twin pics

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:01 pm

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff85 ... stonsauce/

I was kinda hoping I'd be able to change the topic title to a happier one after pulling the number one piston from the block and comparing wrist pins to the troublesome number 4 piston's wrist pin. I was expecting the number 4 to be abnormally long, which would explain why the c clips won't pop into it. But as you can already tell from the tone of this post, I was not so lucky. :roll:

Wrist pins are the same length.

I also examined both pistons side by side to see if the distances for where the c clip GROOVES were different (further from the outer skirt), but they look to be the same.

So that means no good news. And for even more bad news, I uprooted my finger nail trying to remove the number 1 wrist pin, and got blood all over my table. Oh, and I don't know how this happened, but when I pulled the number 1 piston I discovered that my block tried to create its own oil grooves in the skirt of my piston...

:cussing:

I contemplated scratching the whole project and selling what I can. It seems like jesus or budah or somebody doesn't want me to get it done....
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

krc21
2GN Member

Post by krc21 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:09 pm

dude you cant scrap it now. if i were in your shoes i would give me your transmission for free. then buy yourself a new one and then take it to a shop and tell them here put it together and make it work. lol but no for real. just take it somewhere man. you have way to much invested to just give up.

Nutmeg
2GN Member

Post by Nutmeg » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:17 pm

Never give up.

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:24 pm

Nutmeg wrote:Never give up.
Trust your instincts?

lol </starfox>
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:42 am

yellowpatrol wrote:
Nutmeg wrote:Never give up.
Trust your instincts?

lol </starfox>
:rofl:

Damn dude, I don't know what to say. :shock:

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:43 am

Yeah, fuck me sideways comes to mind.
FEEDBACK

hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:15 pm

My $.02 is that if you don't finish it, it will always be that fucked up project you tried and failed to do. If you finish it you will be proud of overcoming all these different trials and errors and have walked away with at least two things.. the experience and knowledge gained from this project as well as something to show for it.

Anyway, I say finish the project.
| - John || Project Log || Official I'm Going To Drive My Neon Till It Dies Club #000001 |
Everyone knows that for breasts to be "perfect" they need to be within reach.

hul kogan
Former Moderator

Post by hul kogan » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:58 pm

i have to agree with everyone else. press on because when you finally get it done you will be very happy that you stuck with it!
Chris | 00 Dodge Neon (Dark Jewel) | 04 Dodge Neon R/T | 00 Honda S2000 |

Proud member of CYL [www.caughtyalookin.com]

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:57 pm

Don't give up homie...and I agree with hansken's $.02...
-Chad
MoxHair wrote:pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Its all smoke and mirrors.
- Project Log
- Feedback

silversport
2GN Member

Post by silversport » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:39 pm

ya man, this is probably a once in a life time project. keep pushing until the end!
>Andrew<
2005 SW SRT-4 ACR (SOLD)
2004 Black R/T (DD)
1998 SRT swap Drag car (11.7 @118) (still going fast)

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:29 pm

Okay well I checked the block today, the cylinder wall is fine. You can see the mark where the piston scratched it, but you can't feel it. Do you think I need to do anything to the piston, or just stick it back in there?
FEEDBACK

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:12 pm

wow, that sucks.. sorry I have no answer to your question, but I certainly know how you feel. I am stuck right now as well. I got all my bolts loose, all the stuff removed fromt he block, and just about everything I can do is done; cept for the engine removal itself. I can't seem to figure out whether it is possible to remove said engin without transmission, or am I screwed to do so? Ah well... let me know what happens man. Sorry I have been no help lately, life is very busy right now. :(
SOLD 5/13- 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible | 2.4L Turbo HO | Bright Silver Metallic
SOLD 7/09- 2002 Dodge Neon ACR | Flame Red
The Offical: Sold My Neon Even Though I Swore I Never Would Club | Member #777

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

100 print 'help'; 200 goto 100

Post by yellowpatrol » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:12 pm

100 print 'help'
200 goto 100

help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help
help

:roll: So it's an ongoing blame battle between JE and Modern that is going absolutely nowhere fast. Still waiting for that replacement piston...
FEEDBACK

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:35 pm

So they are sending a box so i can send the piston in for examination....... hopefully.

I'm thinking about getting one of these: http://www.buxtools.com/product_catalog.php

Anyone have any experience with them? Are they worthwhile? They look like they would save a shit ton of time and pain.
FEEDBACK

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:47 pm

I feel like I'm talking to the wind here, but I'll go ahead and post an update....

UPS came today and picked up the defective piston for transport back to the JE lair / headquarters. I still don't know if those c clip installers are worth a damn or not. I've decided to paint my intake manifold and valve cover white with some engine enamel from duplicolor. I fixed the gap in my side skirt on the driver's side by using a couple more screws. I was going to give Karen a bath today but I realized I didn't bring my car soap over to the new pad yet. I am getting very depressed now that it looks like the swap won't be done before the icy weather arrives. My winter plans for the car include running my Blizzaks on my stock 15" 7 spokes.

I need some more ideas for my new garage. I want to deck it out with Mopar stuff. Here's a few pics of it in it's current state. As I mentioned before the car is dirty as hell so don't bother bringing that up :thumbup:

FEEDBACK

hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:30 pm

Waiting games suck. I had to wait on my Wilwoods...
| - John || Project Log || Official I'm Going To Drive My Neon Till It Dies Club #000001 |
Everyone knows that for breasts to be "perfect" they need to be within reach.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:37 pm

Sorry to hear about the wait. Garage is nice and roomy though.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:45 pm

Aj tld me you got a house with a garage! :shock:

Very nice man!

I wish I had $$$$$$ to get a house. :(

Project is really hitting every bump possible. Sorry bro.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:57 pm

yellowpatrol wrote:I need some more ideas for my new garage. I want to deck it out with Mopar stuff.
Mine is nowhere near finished nor big enough, but I finally have a garage that I can put up my Mopar goodies :twisted:

Still cleaning it up...

But you need to do something like this...minus all the extra crap below of course...

I love my Neon neon :lol:

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:40 am

I need to come over soon.... I will be getting the block back either next week or when I get back from Canada, then we can get your hoist to your house.
SOLD 5/13- 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible | 2.4L Turbo HO | Bright Silver Metallic
SOLD 7/09- 2002 Dodge Neon ACR | Flame Red
The Offical: Sold My Neon Even Though I Swore I Never Would Club | Member #777

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:17 pm

Theres alot of places online that sell banners and old school/vintage signs, be it Mopar or just gas station signs and such. Those would look sweet :). I wish my baby had a garage I'm jealous. I hope they work the piston ordeal out for you.

Here's some ideas:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOPAR-CHRYSLER-DODG ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-He ... enameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-He ... enameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Mopar-Garage-S ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOPAR-Hemi-Dodge-Ch ... dZViewItem

There are worlds more....I just did a google search for "Dodge Garage Sign"

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:43 pm

OMG Danteneon, I've been looking all over for a Neon Neon sign, but they are impossible to search for!! Can you please tell me where you got that?! I want one so bad!
FEEDBACK

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:23 pm

So today I painted my valve cover and intake manifold. I decided to go with a nice clean white. Yes I realize I'll have to keep it clean, but it will look all the nicer when it is.

Also, I worked a little more on my mopar internals curtain rod setup. It is probably the most expensive and heaviest curtain rod known to man.

FEEDBACK

Ntyvirus1
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Ntyvirus1 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:31 pm

badass curtain rod indeed
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000038

hul kogan wrote: And from thy shadows he comes to rippeth thine buttholes. :lol
MoxHair wrote:You should never throw parts at a car.. You'll dent the exterior.

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:34 pm

Where did you get the white paint for the valve cover? I'm thinking about doing the same...I'm guessing from autozone?
-Chad
MoxHair wrote:pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Its all smoke and mirrors.
- Project Log
- Feedback

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:21 am

LionheartedSXT wrote:Where did you get the white paint for the valve cover? I'm thinking about doing the same...I'm guessing from autozone?
Advanced, but yeah same thing. Duplicolor engine enamel
FEEDBACK

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:52 am

Did you have to sand it down at all?

And no they are not the same thing, well maybe its just here but the people that work at advanced over here are beyond retarded and half don't speak a lick of english, I'd rather drive the extra mile to go to autozone since I have never had a problem getting what I need there...Basically all I'm saying is yes they have the same exact stuff, its just the service...
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:09 pm

yellowpatrol wrote:OMG Danteneon, I've been looking all over for a Neon Neon sign, but they are impossible to search for!! Can you please tell me where you got that?! I want one so bad!
I got the sign from a PA dealer that promised I could have it after the Neon was discontinued. Free FTW!

The white paint should look killer in your car :shock: The real fun will be keeping it clean of course :lol:

That is one badass curtain rod :thumbup:

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:26 pm

Danteneon wrote:
yellowpatrol wrote:OMG Danteneon, I've been looking all over for a Neon Neon sign, but they are impossible to search for!! Can you please tell me where you got that?! I want one so bad!
I got the sign from a PA dealer that promised I could have it after the Neon was discontinued. Free FTW!

The white paint should look killer in your car :shock: The real fun will be keeping it clean of course :lol:

That is one badass curtain rod :thumbup:
Thanks! Man I really want one of those. Is there any way I can get one? Does anyone know of a place that sells them?
FEEDBACK

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:01 am

Haha cool curtain rod. Hopefully painting that electrical connector on the intake mani won't hurt anything. There was this one website that makes custom Neons signs, I would look into that. Forgot what it was called though.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

Return to “Progress/Project Log”