yellowpatrol's SRT-4 to SRT-4 swap : Twin pics

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
2002TuRboNeoN
2GN Member

Post by 2002TuRboNeoN » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:27 am

was that a real ken griffey jr signed bat u used or one of those toy-r-us bats u can buy with the fake auto on it???
SRT-4 Swap into the 02, CAI, unorthodox UDP, turbo xs RFL BOV, Boomba solid MM, 3" downpipe

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:06 am

damn dude... I really need stop by anmd check everything out - only I work tomorrow at 3pm. And Saturday at 3pm, then I leave for Florida that night. I will also be gone till the 10th.
SOLD 5/13- 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible | 2.4L Turbo HO | Bright Silver Metallic
SOLD 7/09- 2002 Dodge Neon ACR | Flame Red
The Offical: Sold My Neon Even Though I Swore I Never Would Club | Member #777

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:12 am

Yeah I'm busy this weekend with Tax-Free, but have tues and wed off. Hopefully the replacement rod bolts will be here by then. You're lame for leaving town though :beatstick:

AJ / Stephen you guys wanna come over on Tues @ 9am?
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

NachO_SRT
2GN Member

Post by NachO_SRT » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:19 pm

I maybe avail Tuesday. I'm on a wait and see basis right now.

I'll let you know ASAP.

I'm guessing sunday is out then?

A.J.
2004 E-Blue SRT-4
AGP CAI, AGP WGA, AGP HP's, HKS SSQV, HKS EVC @ 15PSI

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:34 pm

Well UPS doesn't deliver Sunday, and I'm also working 7-4. If it gets here Saturday (which would be miraculous), I suppose we could do it Sunday at 4:30. Wanna?
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

NachO_SRT
2GN Member

Post by NachO_SRT » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:16 pm

I think I can swing that. Holler at me Tomorrow afternoon.

A.J.
2004 E-Blue SRT-4

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:40 am

No bolts. I guess they will be here Monday. I'm off Monday, but we would be sitting around waiting for the mail to come before we could do anything. How about Tuesday?
FEEDBACK

NachO_SRT
2GN Member

Post by NachO_SRT » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:15 pm

I dunno about Tuesday yet, Wed is out for sure and Thursday/Friday is a ??? right now.

I'm going fishing tomorrow so...

we'll play it by ear on Tuesday.

A.J.
2004 E-Blue SRT-4

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:20 pm

NachO_SRT wrote:I dunno about Tuesday yet, Wed is out for sure and Thursday/Friday is a ??? right now.

I'm going fishing tomorrow so...

we'll play it by ear on Tuesday.

A.J.
:cry: Well I really hope you can come Tuesday. I don't have a ring compressor of my own so I'm stranded without yours. I also need to drive out to your place some time soon so I can drop off my head for assembly at Modified by KC. Off-topic, do you live anywhere near Lawrence? I've got a buyer for my hood from there, and if it's nearby I could swing by them and make a quick buck or two selling it.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the damage to the piston skirt? Is it going to critically affect the performance?

FEEDBACK

turbodudey
2GN Member

Post by turbodudey » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:43 pm

yellowpatrol wrote: Does anybody have any thoughts on the damage to the piston skirt? Is it going to critically affect the performance?
Looks like it's just scratched up a little. Shouldn't hurt anything...

You could use some light sand paper or emery paper to smooth/polish it up a little. Probably not necessary though.
~Josh

'07 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4x4
'96 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:42 pm

Cool, that's good news. Also good news is that my rod bolts arrived today. AJ can you make it tomorrow?
FEEDBACK

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:29 pm

BLAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH. This is lame.... Two days off and nothing to do!!
FEEDBACK

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:55 am

The insanely hot weather doesn't help either. Didn;t you put in the rod bolts before>? There is always something to do.... Organize those damn bolts you ahve scattered everywhere. :lol:

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:19 am

Yeah I put them in but they broke. You have some reading to do a few pages back!
FEEDBACK

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:41 pm

yellowpatrol wrote:Yeah I put them in but they broke. You have some reading to do a few pages back!
Because you over torqued them right... Well you have the right torque specs so do it again. but I see what you mean though, they are $100 and I would probably want someone with more expierence doing them too.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:54 am

So now we're thinking that the piston was mis-cut as far as where the groove for the wrist pin clip goes. It is noticeably a different distance from the outside of the piston than the other groove on the opposite side. Might have to send it back.

Dropped off the head for assembly.
FEEDBACK

Nutmeg
2GN Member

Post by Nutmeg » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:11 pm

Man, you just have problem after problem. How sucktastic.

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:25 pm

I know man. It is an excellent test of my patience. You just have to not let stupid things get to you, and keep your head up.
FEEDBACK

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:12 pm

Aj told me about that, that is messed up. You should be able to get a new piston for free since JE messed up.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:13 pm

AW BOB SAGET!!!!! lol Yeah I'll be calling Modern for sure on Monday. Watch them try to tell me they can't do anything and I need to call JE.

Hey do you live close to AJ? I drove out to his place the other day so I was just curious how close you were to him.
FEEDBACK

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:18 pm

yellowpatrol wrote:AW BOB SAGET!!!!! lol Yeah I'll be calling Modern for sure on Monday. Watch them try to tell me they can't do anything and I need to call JE.

Hey do you live close to AJ? I drove out to his place the other day so I was just curious how close you were to him.
About 25 minutes south if you are going pretty fast. Gardner.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:46 pm

So my front end has been bothering me lately. It just feels... lacking. I had a crazy idea tonight so I decided to photoshop it and see what it might look like. It involves relocating the fogs. I was thinking about turning the fog holes into ducts to collect and direct air up towards the FMIC, but when looking at the actual photoshop I fear that I may be doing more harm than good by blocking the IC with the fogs. Either way, it looks unique, which is what I was going for.

<begin feedback>

Also there is a poll located here:

http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?p=465687#465687
FEEDBACK

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:41 am

Okay so fuck the front end, I've got bigger things to worry about right now. I've been thinking to myself, "how is it possible that the c clip groove was mis-cut if these pistons were forged?". They FORGE them.

Anyway, I really wish I would have known about THIS a long time ago.
FEEDBACK

turbodudey
2GN Member

Post by turbodudey » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:18 pm

Yes, the pistons are forged, but then they are machined as well. Almost every surface of the piston has to be machined after it's forged. Pretty much the only exception would be the inside surface of the skirt and the bottom of the the piston. Everything else is machined. So, it's definitly possible that the clip groove could be in the wrong place. If the wrist pin is still properly retained by the clips though (i.e. the distance between the clip grooves is still correct) then there shouldn't be a problem with it.

As far as installing the c-clips, there is a bit of a technique to it. The easiest way I've found to do it is just to set one end of the clip into the groove and hold it there, and then with the tip of my thumb slide around the clip and work it into the hole. Once you get the knack of it, it just pops right in, piece of cake.
~Josh

'07 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4x4
'96 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4

hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:23 pm

so is the piston trashed?
| - John || Project Log || Official I'm Going To Drive My Neon Till It Dies Club #000001 |
Everyone knows that for breasts to be "perfect" they need to be within reach.

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:26 pm

hansken_yo wrote:so is the piston trashed?
Eh, it looks like it. I can't very easily re-locate the groove :twisted:

Plus those scratches I put into it while fighting it. I would much rather just get a new one and have a clean slate.
turbodudey wrote:Yes, the pistons are forged, but then they are machined as well. Almost every surface of the piston has to be machined after it's forged. Pretty much the only exception would be the inside surface of the skirt and the bottom of the the piston. Everything else is machined. So, it's definitly possible that the clip groove could be in the wrong place. If the wrist pin is still properly retained by the clips though (i.e. the distance between the clip grooves is still correct) then there shouldn't be a problem with it.

As far as installing the c-clips, there is a bit of a technique to it. The easiest way I've found to do it is just to set one end of the clip into the groove and hold it there, and then with the tip of my thumb slide around the clip and work it into the hole. Once you get the knack of it, it just pops right in, piece of cake.
*sadpanda* Well at least that means I may not be insane. I e-mailed JE just now, since I would probably not be able to describe the problem without confusing the person. I stared at the piston all morning and I'm pretty sure the one c-clip groove is definitely further from the skirt than the other. I don't have anything to measure it with, but with my naked eye-gauge, it looks to be.

Now I just have to wait and see what they say.
FEEDBACK

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:57 pm

I <3 JE. They responded in like 10 minutes. Unfortunately they said I have to go through MPx since I did not buy it direct from JE. So I called MPx and they said they have to talk to JE.

Anyway, here's some pics that I took to show the difference in distance.

FEEDBACK

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:50 pm

So if JE told you to call MPX and MPX told you to call JE...... :lol:

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:55 pm

:quotes: just replace the god damn thing please!!!! :quotes:
| - John || Project Log || Official I'm Going To Drive My Neon Till It Dies Club #000001 |
Everyone knows that for breasts to be "perfect" they need to be within reach.

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:31 pm

lol pretty much. it's a waiting game now.
FEEDBACK

Return to “Progress/Project Log”