MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:07 pm

MoxHair wrote:Turn the A/C on and watch 'em shake. The Whole Car Rattles when the A/C is on.
Who uses AC?

But I will turn it on once it gets hot out. 4 or 5 months from now.

Ohhh side exit....Be still my heart.

I'm getting a 98 coupe tomorrow. I'm gonna have 2 exhaust setups:

Quiet and Loud side exit.
Anoter first gen, niiicee. I would do two systems but it would be a hassle going back and forth.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:59 pm

Mine's pretty easy, 3 bolts off the header, and a hanger.

MoxHair
2GN Member

Post by MoxHair » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:50 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
MoxHair wrote:Turn the A/C on and watch 'em shake. The Whole Car Rattles when the A/C is on.
Who uses AC?

Those of us who don't have a winter use their A/C all year round. I don't believe I've ever used my rear defrost or Heater. This is why I decided against buying an 08 Pontiac Solstice GXP ZOK..
2017 Subaru WRX STI
Road Racing > Autocross > Spirited Driving > Sitting in Traffic > Mowing Lawns > Drag Racing

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:10 pm

My brother is going to St. Petersburg Florida in a couple weeks. That lucky SOB. What about the Z0k? No AC in it?

Well I bought a used Boomba BOV cheap. Turns out I won't need it though! ARGGHHGHH So it will be up for sale soon.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MoxHair
2GN Member

Post by MoxHair » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:48 pm

the ZOK is the "Club Racer" version of the Solstice. It's barebones with a Adjustable Suspension. No Options.
2017 Subaru WRX STI
Road Racing > Autocross > Spirited Driving > Sitting in Traffic > Mowing Lawns > Drag Racing

Kevin_GP
2GN Member

Post by Kevin_GP » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:51 pm

MoxHair wrote:
MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Who uses AC?

Those of us who don't have a winter use their A/C all year round. I don't believe I've ever used my rear defrost or Heater. This is why I decided against buying an 08 Pontiac Solstice GXP ZOK..
:withstupid: Unless you are hardcore like me and don't use the AC because MS wasn't controlling my IAC and my car went crazy with the AC on. Even in the winter down here you use the AC.

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:56 pm

that exhaust sounds hawt!11!!!eleven!!1!
SOLD 5/13- 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible | 2.4L Turbo HO | Bright Silver Metallic
SOLD 7/09- 2002 Dodge Neon ACR | Flame Red
The Offical: Sold My Neon Even Though I Swore I Never Would Club | Member #777

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:10 pm

kc2002acr wrote:that exhaust sounds hawt!11!!!eleven!!1!
Thanks! Thought I would never get something out of the ordinary but what can I say. Best performance for a great price!

I took off my AGP External Vent Modification and put a newER stock surge valve with upgraded PTP spring on. No more BOV noise, very quiet. Had a huge boost leak from my chargepipe mod due to having the pipe cut at a bad place. So I threw my stocker with the dent in it on. Need to do another boost leak to find out if I am clear...for once from the dreaded BOOST LEAK :banghead:

I went through all my vac lines the other day just to make sure everything was secure, re-ziptied a couple of lines. Thinking about re-doing them to get rid of all those T-'s by the back of the turbo since I know the lines so well and I am not afraid of them like I was before. :lol: Still going to be comp controlled of course.

This might be my next mod:

BWoody Performance now offers our own FMIC upgrade for your Dodge SRT-4. Core measures 24" X 12" X 4" CAST Endtanks with a polished finish with a Bar and Plate Core design. OEM or aftermarket piping can be used with this upgrade. You will need to drill your mounting holes. We require this so that the intercooler can be positioned with all stock and aftermarket intercooler piping so installation is a very easy, and fit is perfect. Our FMIC does not require modification of the front fascia, but DOES require the removal of the OEM crash bar Because of this, this product is recommended for OFF ROAD USE ONLY.

Flow Test/Dyno Test Results: Cooling Efficiency: 90 - 98%, Pressure Drop: less than 1 psi@500 hp of airflow. Heat Soak: Unmeasurable (could not be determined after a whopping 10 back to back runs on the dyno). 14.9whp and 18.1 ft.lbs of torque gained on a stock SRT-4 running 17lbs of boost
Nice isn't it. Its a group by and they are selling them cheap! $565 originally for $285 shipped for the second run. I have over a $100 in my Paypal account from selling random things so it won't hurt me too bad!

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:38 pm

^^ That GB is going nowhere... I have other plans with my money. :evil:

Will reveal what I will be ordering soon.... :twisted:

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JRM
2GN Member

Post by JRM » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:45 am

Total amount "invested" in the srt4 now? :lol:
06 Ford F150 Stock truck 23x,xxx miles and running strong
05 Chevy Equinox Wifey's

Official I sold my Neon Member #482

MoxHair
2GN Member

Post by MoxHair » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:09 am

Dude.. I have the Bwoody Intercooler.. Unless you want a bunch of heat soak, I would suggest not getting it.

When I say a Bunch I mean a Bunch

1st run: 332.52whp; 354.79ft.lbs
2nd run: 322.20whp; 325.64ft.lbs
3rd run: 314.06whp; 323.16ft.lbs

The Bwoody/EvilCreations FMIC is just a QuickWhips/Ebay brand. They are exactly the same. No matter what those venders tell you. Side By Side, there is ZERO difference.
2017 Subaru WRX STI

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:22 pm

JRM wrote:Total amount "invested" in the srt4 now? :lol:
What can I say... :banghead: See garage for home much I have spent on mods. Was going to use money to pay it off. But this car makes me happy and modding it makes me happy.

Well this next mod will be a big one...

Dude.. I have the Bwoody Intercooler.. Unless you want a bunch of heat soak, I would suggest not getting it.

When I say a Bunch I mean a Bunch

1st run: 332.52whp; 354.79ft.lbs
2nd run: 322.20whp; 325.64ft.lbs
3rd run: 314.06whp; 323.16ft.lbs

The Bwoody/EvilCreations FMIC is just a QuickWhips/Ebay brand. They are exactly the same. No matter what those venders tell you. Side By Side, there is ZERO difference.

Damn! Thanks for another great headsup! I had a buddy who HAD a SRT-4, now has a 6.0 Goat he had the eBay intercooler and got it for $202 shipped, he was happy with it and stated it was the same thing as the Quickwhips.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:36 pm

BC Racing Coilovers.
:D

Going to be ordering soon.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:10 pm

So I take it since you sold your springs, you installed the coilovers, or got them, or what's up Stephen??
SOLD 5/13- 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible | 2.4L Turbo HO | Bright Silver Metallic

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:32 pm

I ran across a great deal IMO on Craigslist. This dude parted out his car and sold me EVERYTHING he had cheap. He had just blown his turbo and the Volvo dealership in Tiffany springs where he traded it in had no idea the turbo was blown. :tardbang:

But yeah I got a set of stock springs amongst other things. :glasses1:

I did indeed order the coilovers on Thursday. According to UPS I will be getting them this Tuesday. :thumbup:

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:25 pm

WOW! Hey, remember, if you need help, I can help ya ;) :lol: Although I am freaking busy as hell, except saturday mornings, and wednesday afternoons till 330pm. :D ;)

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:58 pm

kc2002acr wrote:WOW! Hey, remember, if you need help, I can help ya ;) :lol: Although I am freaking busy as hell, except saturday mornings, and wednesday afternoons till 330pm. :D ;)
I am not sure when I will put them on, I might wait til late February or so. I want to make sure there will be no more snow. But who knows, I doubt I will be able to wait that long. :lol:

I will keep that in mind though. :thumbup:

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:48 am

Going to be taking off the surge valve with PTP spring. Learned a bunch of info on an upgraded spring and found out its not a good thing to have on a stock turbo. So on goes the stock surge valve. :banghead:
Modifying a car really has its ups and downs.

This is one of the comments that closed the deal:
the point of the light spring on the stock system is that it uses a solenoid valve to controll it, the solenoid routes boost onto the top of the diaphragm, that plus the spring pressure keeps it closed untill the tps signals the solenoid to switch, then the boost is releaved from the top of the diaphragm, and the boost in the charge pipe over comes the light spring pressure and vents.
it was designed with the solenoid for that purpose, so it could work with a light spring. putting in a stronger spring just defeats the whole reason for the solenoid.
if you have 16psi at red line, when the bov vents it dumps boost untill it drops below the 4psi of the spring, with an 8psi spring it will only be able to dump half of the boost, 16-to-8, then it will close at 8psi, causing the boost left in the charge pipe to back up into the turbo.
if you really want to play with the spring pressure, lower it, so the bov can vent even more of the charge, like maybe down to 2 psi.
the higher spring is just stalling out the turbo, thats why it causes more lag between shifts, the bov spring mod will give a decrease in performance since it causes more lag between shifts.
to the op, theres nothing wrong with your spring or install, thats just the result of using a higher pressure spring,
The OE valve works very well, unmodified. Yes it can get annoying if you have the Mopar plate because it is so sensitive, but that sensitivity is one of the things that I like about it, it works at very low pressure differentials.

The factory valve, in my testing up to 25psi, had no leakage. Here is the reason for that. When under boost, the air pressure on either side of the diaphragm is the same! So with that kind of neutral pressure, it requires only a VERY light spring to ensure that the valve stays closed under boost. So at 20psi of boost, you have 20psi pushing to open the valve, and roughly 24psi pushing it closed, so it stays closed. This means it will only take 4psi of pressure differential between the intake and charge plumbing to open the valve. Which makes it great for ultra-sensitivity and quick reaction.

Now if you put a 9psi spring in there... it is going to take 9psi of pressure differential to open the valve... more than twice as much stock.. so what you have is a valve that stay closed just as well as the stock spring, but requires more effort to open it. That is why it does not "blow off" as much as it did with the factory spring, and is more likely to surge.

Now the only thing I can imagine causing the factory valve to leak at high boost is if you have SIGNIFICANT pressure drop accross the intercooler.... like 4+psi. Like if you are taking the turbocharger WAY out of it's efficiency range, or you have a really shitty intercooler. Either way, your biggest problem is not your BOV.

Now... maybe it will NEVER kill a stock SRT-4 turbocharger... maybe it will. I cannot say. I don't hear about many stock turbochargers failing on these things under any conditions. But I myself personally have had turbochargers fail because of compressor surge. They were both aftermarket Garrett designs. One a T3 and one a hybrid. One was because of a "crushed" DSM BOV, and one was because of an over-tightened aftermarket valve (tightened only enough so it would stay closed at high boost)

I have no vendetta against vendors selling these springs, or hatred for PTP. Personally I think the childish vendor wars on this board really constipate the flow of good technical information. All I am saying is what I know.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:49 pm

Well my stock surge valve is back on. I now know how to take it off and on really easily now. :thumbup:

But anyways, got done cleaning the car on this very very windy day. Decided to pop in my Depot black LED tails just to make sure everything was working fine on em, which they are.

Took a few more pictures of the car too since its all nice and clean.

My coilovers will be here tomorrow so I wanted to get a nice side view so I can compare. Can't wait to slam it! :D

Fiberglass painted to match eyelids are back on. This time they will not fly off. I have a set of used black housing headlights that will be going on sometime, just not yet.

Any ideas on how to raise the SEE up? I don't want it scraping once its slammed. :banghead:

Might take it to an exhaust shop and see if they can raise it a bit and have it flush with the rear door. :thumbup: Thats the only thing thats worrying me about slamming it.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:10 pm

Helped a friend disassemble his engine from his tranny. (Its off the car now) Was pretty tired, but we did a boost leak test on my car. Sure enough it was leaking like a mo fo once again. :banghead: :banghead:

It was even leaking from the stock surge valve too and seems to be leaking on the charge pipe.

I used the crush washers on the stock surge valve, not sure if I need them or not.

Also I had moved the chargepipe all the way up as far as it could go on the turbo enlet when I put the surge valve on, I think it needs to go back down some.

Seems like I will never know what my car feels like with no boost leaks. :banghead:

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

glasswars
2GN Veteran

Post by glasswars » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:28 pm

Everything looks awesome dude. This car is progressing really fast.
thisishalcyon.com
@halcyonphoto

2001 ACR
2GN Member

Post by 2001 ACR » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:58 pm

I absolutely love the sound of your engine :D Too bad my wife would never go for something so loud like that... She likes to hear music, I say the exhaust is the music :rockon:

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:57 pm

Hahaha nice! ^^^ :rockon:

Ordered a couple of necessities:
Granatelli Spark Plug Wires
http://www.modernperformance.com/produc ... 91c3ddcc22

MPX coilpack heatshield:

Also got a set of NGK V-Powers at Oh oh oh, Oreilly's! :D

Gonna gap em at .037 since I will have the Stage 2 WGA on there boostin 17 psi hopefully. :rockon:

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Fix the boost leaks yet??? ;)

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:47 pm

No. :( Hopefully this weekend. Thats going to be the first thing I do before I do anything else.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:13 pm

Ordered some shorter endlinks from MPX. Got the Prothane ones. Thanks to Diablo0 I realized I would need shorter ones in the rear due to the drop to keep the geometry in the suspension good. Plus I down't want my swaybar to be crooked due to the stock endlink.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

J-Villa
2GN Veteran

Post by J-Villa » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:21 pm

ugh i hate the side exhuast....

can't wait to see it slammed
Wanna Sell Me Your 2gn??
Official I sold my Neon Member #004

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:37 pm

You should here it though, it is tough! Looking good Stephen, keep it up and let us know when you get a chance to install those coilovers (since it is like 10 degrees out right now with 3 inches of snow frozen rock solid on the ground :lol:)

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:50 am

J-Villa wrote:ugh i hate the side exhuast....

can't wait to see it slammed
Well... performance over looks... I will eventually have it going out the back or get a different tip for it. Like that one CF SRT-4 that was featured in mags with the dual tip SEE. Looked so hot.

Its going to be slammed this Wednesday! Going up to Andrews and he is going to help me install em! Then I will go straight to the alignment place off of 67th and Merriam and get her aligned. Dude up there aligns lowered vehicles for a good price all the time. Hopefully Wednesday goes by smoothly and there are no problems with the install or the alignment. :thumbup:

Ordered a hotside pipe from Custom Tubes Inc. No bottleneck and its round all the way! Unlike my stock piece with dent thats driving me A-wall.

Hopefully my car will be "ready" and I will get it dynod at Modified at KC at the end of March.

"ready" consists of no boost leaks, Stage 2 WGA tuned, CTI pipe installed, New plugs, new wires and heatshield. Curious to see what she puts down with the new mods. :thumbup:

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:00 pm

2billion hp. :D

Cant wait to dig into the SRT4 again :D

Return to “Progress/Project Log”