MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Post by occasional demons » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:52 pm

Better to have rained on his parade, than his neon! :D
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:42 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:22 pm
But doesn't that cut the visibility of the fog lights? I like fog lights since they illuminate the road better for me while not blinding oncoming drivers.
My black housing headlamps were blinding people since I had random people shine their brights at me, turns out they were aimed up high. Never thought about adjusting them, so I adjusted them down. No issues since with people flashing their brights at me.

Honestly I don't run the foglamps much until I do this rewire: https://www.kinnettickreations.com/mfs-relay-rewire
The factory MFS just has too much going to it. I had to replace my MFS switch due to getting melted on my old SRT-4. The OEM harness connector looked bad but still worked. I think the more you use the brights and fogs the more chance it will heat things up? That rewire looks to be the fix. Not really concerned about output since I don't plan on doing HID's ever on my Neon. I think a nice sylvania silverstar is good enough for me.
The aftermarket foglamps are just for looks and to tie in with my black housing hedlamps.

I have been tossing around the idea of putting stone white eyelids on my ride like this one

Its a 5050 for me:
Gives the front end a mean, sinister look.
But then I feel it is kind of ricey. Sticking a piece of fiberglass on your headlamp.
I ran the fiberglass ones on my silver car and I think it just looks so killer.
But I love the clean look without them.
I feel adding them makes others think you are more of a toolbag trying to make your neon look angry.

I had one fly off on the interstate because I used the wrong type of double sided tape and it was funny and pathetic at the same time when it happened. Then when I got to my destination I look at the headlamp and you see tape on there. Kind of like a bald man who wears a wig and it flies off on a windy day. How embarassing to know that you got a wig and tried to cover up your bald head in the first place instead of just letting it shine.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:28 pm

The comb over flapping in the wind is just as bad. :lol:

It's like a dead bird on the road, and the wind keeps lifting one wing.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:01 am

http://www.lggpr.org/ Canceled until next month due to a ton of rain and flooding. Oh well, more time to get things ready. Plus on vacation next week. \:D/

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:16 am

Decent day yesterday, decided to throw on the 5zigens with the 13 yar old tires. Got new hub centric rings for the wheels since I needed them. Got it on the interstate and the old tires ride pretty smooth I was surprised. Seem to hold air great.
"Racing Drivers Requests Enable ProRacer" LOL! Ordered new closed faced tuner lugs.
Feel like I am back in 2005 with these wheels haha. I like em, but I still like my RPF1's better.

Oh I weighed them too with tires. tires vary in weight depending on style and compound etc. RPF1's have 235/45/17. ProRacer have 225/45/17

RPF1=40.4lbs
ProRacer=43.8lbs

Not much of a difference

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:17 pm

Contrast! I like the color a lot better than the white, but I prefer the design of the RPF1s. The darker rims tie the headlights in a lot more, which looks nice.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Hahaha I love the white on white! So fresh and clean.
New fogs in. Need outdoor pictures to show quality! Can't beat em for $40 shipped! Will tie in with the headlamps!

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:32 am

Here are some outdoor pictures love the new fogs, should of came factory like this:
Added the cars first decal:
Image Had a similar all silver one on my old SRT-4 but it said, "Come on..Its Just a Neon"

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:23 pm

The fogs look nice. Mine don't work, so I'm going to put block off plates on it eventually.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:46 am

Yeah I love the block off covers too, I might go that route in the future. A nice set of colormatched ones would be nice, but in your case CF would be great too.

Getting ready for the road course race on Sunday! Got the white wheels on with new lug nuts. "Race Gas" fuel additve in the tank. Should be around 97 octane or so now. Even though I don't get any KR on my tune its just an extra safety measure since I will be on the track. Lightly snowed yesterday, but the roads are clear today. Only going to be in the 40's on race day. So I will be extra careful.

Some shots I took last week after a wash in the driveway.
Waiting on that plate decal to come in, So it can go on a white frame. The guy that makes those custom decals is special. I asked for just a decal and paid promptly. Had to remind him after a week to ship my decal. Got a package with a black frame with the decal already applied and an extra decal with the "N" missing in "Neon" WTF. I just wanted a decal so I could apply to a white frame. Said it in my PayPal note too. Ugh.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:21 pm

The glossy fog light surrounds really look good on your car. Makes me wish that DCX had color-coded those OEM.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:32 am

Had a blast at Lake Garnett's Grand Prix Revival. This is my 3rd one. Weather started off chilly but it got up to around 4 or so in that afternoon and the sun was shining. Got my two, 20 minutes sessions in before the rain that was supposed to roll in. Rub on the welds on the inside of the wheels on driver front when cornering hard. Doesn't sound good haha. It was nice to push the car and see how it behaves. More pictures should be rolling in since it has been over a week. but these are the only two I have found.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:44 am

That Audi needs to get out of the way. LOL

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:12 am

Haha yeah for sure. Couple times I could of passed on the straights but he blocked me. He apologized after that session. He was a super nice guy. Vehicle had a "baby on board" decal on the back window. Had a full cage, guy had a racing outfit on, he could drive very well and was pushing his car very hard and to the limit.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:46 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu-qW7GGab8&t=1s

Awesome guy got a video of my Neon. :) Happy to get some video of it! I was having fun out there. Not a race.
Last edited by MyNeonSaysHi on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:57 pm

I sure wish that I could do something like that. Other than the two attempts at the autocross at Carlisle several years ago, I've never had an opportunity to drive my car anywhere but a public street.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:12 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:57 pm
I sure wish that I could do something like that. Other than the two attempts at the autocross at Carlisle several years ago, I've never had an opportunity to drive my car anywhere but a public street.
http://putnampark.com/

You should see if they are open to the public. Looks like a nice course! 35 miles of indianapolis

Edit, nvm. Yikes.

http://www.theclubcc.com/memberships/

Might be some roadcourses in neighboring states close to you?

We have LGGPR but its only 2 days in a year.
But we have heartlandpark topeka that does multiple open track events. Excited to take the SRT out there next year for some fun.

http://www.heartlandpark.com/roadcourse/schedule/

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:31 am

Yeah, $7,500? Nope, not me... I'm not rich. Oh well, thanks for the information though.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Oh, come on, we know you have the Board Membership. :lol:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:55 pm

Ha-ha! When I saw the membership costs, I thought, "No, I don't own a Viper, I have a Neon."

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:45 am

All the pictures from the photographers were released from the track event. And being a participant I got a code for up to 100 free downloads. :) So I got the ones of my ride

Last year at the paddock

This year
My favorite:

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:47 pm

Not much new going on with the Neon. We got about 8 inches of snow on Friday night. I luckily got to drive it a couple times to work prior to the storm since I knew bad weather was coming. Its all cleaned up and under the car cover in the garage with the battery disconnected. Will probably be a while before I get to drive it again due to all the salt and crap on the roads. :(

Wanted to add a little something to the engine bay. CF fusebox cover by SpecialCarbonFiber.

Had this parked next to me with painted gold wheels next to me at work:
Image Always like those Focus ST's. Crazy how much bigger they are then a 2nd gen Neon. I remember how big I thought the 2nd gen Neon was when it came out because I was used to the 1st gen.

Had both the cars cleaned up. Neon goes in the garage LOL. I think it was like 62 degrees that day! There is snow everywhere now. Fickle midwest weather.

We all had to re-bid our jobs at work back in October.
I got to work Twi/Night now. :( Bummed out. Be going in around 4/5 o clock and getting out past 3 am. Ugh. My internal clock is going to be messed up for a while.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:54 pm

I always liked the carbon fiber fuse box cover cover. The car looks super clean.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:28 pm

Thanks man. Car has been in the garage for over a month with the battery disconnected under a car cover. It rained its butt off on Saturday. and melted most of the snow. Roads were clear on Monday with light salt and it got up to like 40 degrees. So I drove the Neon to work. Took the long way. Was so nice to drive it again! Missed it so much. Was in the teens when I got off, but it fired right up even with that small little battery. Was a bit worried since that battery is too small for the car. Felt good to row through gears. Now the weather is going to crap again and will be in the single digits again.

Can't wait for Spring to get here.

Thinking about switching some things up mainly for looks in the engine bay. CBD CF radiator shroud and CBD CF injector cover. Just not sure yet. Don't really have any set plans this year for what I want to do to the car this year. But I am sure I will get some ideas once the weather warms up this Spring.

Also thinking about having the timing belt done. Its coming on 14 years old and has the original belts. But seems wasteful at such low miles. Had a friend do the original timing belt on an 03 I hjad like 4-5 years ago and it looked completely fine when he took it off.

Car has an old style ACT modular setup...Doesn't have many miles on it but it is old. Probably from like 2009 or so. If I get on it in first gear it is hard to get into 2nd. I think its limit is at like 400 ft lbs or so. Might have to do a clutch this year. I really hate these clunky/notchy T850 transmissions. :/

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:25 am

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:28 pm

Also thinking about having the timing belt done. Its coming on 14 years old and has the original belts. But seems wasteful at such low miles. Had a friend do the original timing belt on an 03 I had like 4-5 years ago and it looked completely fine when he took it off.
Meh, the only risk is it leaving you stranded somewhere. At least the engine damage risk is pretty minimal, not like a 2.0.

But depending on where and when it may fail from age, it might be cheaper to do a preemptive strike , thus less "waste".

Looks can be deceiving, it's not like you can tell the condition of the cords inside the belt. Those are what keep it together, not the pretty outer covering. :lol:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:38 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:28 pm
I really hate these clunky/notchy T850 transmissions. :/
Amen to that. They're terrible.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:50 pm

I've read comments like that many times. Never had problems with mine so I don't understand.

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:01 pm

My first SRT shifted perfectly the whole time I owned it. I never had issues at all. This current one shifts like crap and gives me all kinds of issues. It's super notchy and hates to downshift into second. I guess some are better than others. You've been lucky.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:35 pm

You could try experimenting with the clutch master cylinder rod adjustment at the clutch pedal. My 2001 didn't downshift the best, until I made a few adjustments under there. After that, it shifted a lot better. It went from not going into first until nearly stopped, to sliding in at 45 mph if you wanted to risk it.

I basically raised the pedal height, by making it push the master cylinder in a bit farther.

No promises it will help, but it is fairly simple, and it only costs your time, and being a contortionist under the dash.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:33 am

I'm not bragging but I really haven't beat on my tranny all these years- maybe this is why I've been so lucky. I did have a new clutch installed a few years back and also the fork and pin (can't remember the technical name for the pin and I'm too lazy to get up and go through my car file at the moment- everyone here knows what it's called anyway LOL). I had discussed with the dealership about replacing the master and slave at that time but it was overlooked and I didn't realize it until I got home. Oh well.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”