MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: MyNeonSaysHi Mod Log: Stone White

Post by occasional demons » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:16 pm

Well at least it turned out well.

Maybe some internal tooth lockwashers on the pawns. It wouldn't take away from the appearance.

Not sure what the mileage would be for changing the timing chain on the World engines. My mom's 2007 has way more than 127,000 on it. I'm betting they can go 200,000 miles without issue, provided nothing else fails.

This is what I could find searching:
The timing chain is designed to last the life of the engine, there is no interval.
Of course that doesn't mean there won't be a defective chain, guide or tensioner creating a headache before the rest of the engine wears out.

So far the engine and CVT have been the most reliable parts on the car.
Bill
Probably shouldn't listen to anything your penis says, that guy's a dick.
Patience, of course, is a very powerful weapon, but sometimes I start to regret that it is not a firearm.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:43 am

So glad that nothing caught on fire. What a scare!
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:09 pm

occasional demons wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:16 pm
Well at least it turned out well.

Maybe some internal tooth lockwashers on the pawns. It wouldn't take away from the appearance.

Not sure what the mileage would be for changing the timing chain on the World engines. My mom's 2007 has way more than 127,000 on it. I'm betting they can go 200,000 miles without issue, provided nothing else fails.

This is what I could find searching:
The timing chain is designed to last the life of the engine, there is no interval.
Of course that doesn't mean there won't be a defective chain, guide or tensioner creating a headache before the rest of the engine wears out.

So far the engine and CVT have been the most reliable parts on the car.
Good idea on the lockwashers, or maybe just add a lock washer to it? But not sure if that will affect the pressure of it holding it down. I think I just need to keep an eye on it is all and all will be fine. If I notice it keeps loosening up then I will do that.

Caliber SRT-4 guys are known to do it around 120k or so as preventive maintenance. Maybe the guides go bad or something. I tried researching but can't find much since they made hardly any caliber srt-4s. I jus thear they develop slack around then?

Well I test drove it. It needs brakes in the front, radio light does not come on, sunroof doesn't work, has been smoked in the past, needs front control arm he said. I think most of the suspension is original minus the BC coilovers. which were done like 6 years ago or so. You can see the discoloration on the headliner. But don't really smell it. It seemed to shift fine on the original clutch. Would only hit 10 psi didn't feel that quick. ITs on a canned Diablo tune. He says it has a boost leak. My main concern was a rattling noise on deceleration, coming from passenger side of the car. It would go away after a second. But it was there. My guess is either alternator related or perhaps turbo related? He is going to look into it. At $3800 I am still interested in it, it just needs some work. Was pretty fun to drive. No visible leaks or seepage underneath the car or rust.
So glad that nothing caught on fire. What a scare!
Me too!!

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:44 am

I passed on the Caliber SRT-4. He sold it for $3500. Not really bummed. Just needed a lot of work and it seems like a lot of Caliber SRT-4s are ticking time bombs. The fact this one had a big wheel stocker on it and a canned tune for a LONG time had me worried a bit.

Just a random shot of my car getting gas 3 or 4 weeks ago. Have to go to BP to get the 93 octane, wish there was one closer to me. Have to drive about 15 miles or so to get 93. Luckily there is one somewhat close to my work.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

04rebel
2GN Member

Post by 04rebel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:25 am

I just love seeing pic's of your ride!
BUT I don't "feel" for you at all about distance to have to drive to get your particular fuel! I have a minimum distance of 13 miles to ANY station for even 87 octane! ;)

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:02 pm

thanks man I like to post a lot of pictures on here and post little stories. Will be nice to go back on in the future as long as this site stays up. Man that would be bummer to have to drive that far just to get gas. You must live in the sticks! Makes me feel better about my situation.

I made an impulse buy for the Neon. Bought this beautiful powdercoated and CF hydro-dipped cam cover.
Has a gold hue to it

Well I looked it over and as I was looking it over I heard something moving around inside my guess the breather portion, out came a black metal washer the size of a dime.....
Then I noticed this:
Imagepassenger top left of the cover
No way it was from shipping, it was shipped very well. Looks like he dropped it at some point. Yes I could just grind it down, but I paid for quality product. And he didn't even clean up the spark plug tube seal spots.

Took a while to get a hold of him but I guess he does a ton of powdercoating. I think he is a younger guy out of high school by the way he acts. But he is going to pay me back via PayPal once he receives it. He already paid me back for shipping. So I will get the rest once he gets it.

As I was boxing it up I noticed this on the inside of the cover. I believe it is a factory RTV around the breather section. Well it just comes right off with your finger nail! I wonder when it is getting powdercoated the extreme heat deteriates the rtv there.

Wonder how many people get chunks of this in their head from there powdercoated cam covers!?

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:24 am

That's a shame that he would ship it knowing it was damaged. It was obviously dropped after it was PC'ed. That wouldn't have been a drop that was not noticeable. I wonder how much other damage was done to the coating when it bounced, that will rear it's head down the road.

I'm sure that sealer probably slowly crumbles off into the oil. Probably in small enough particles that the oil filter is what ends up with it.

Not sure why the factory would be that aggressive with sealing off the baffle. It's getting vaporized oil and moisture pulled through it after all, hence why we need catch cans.

I think it was my first year at Carlisle, someone had a real CF valve cover, a one off piece, IIRC it was a Mopar item? Light brown/tan in color. They only put it on for the show field, and didn't actually run the engine with it installed. I don't recall now if it was SOHC or DOHC, but it was awesome looking.
Bill
Patience, of course, is a very powerful weapon, but sometimes I start to regret that it is not a firearm.

1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:43 am

They made those CF covers in both SOHC and DOHC versions. Crazy rare pieces. They were something like $350 new, but almost no one bought them at the time.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:41 am

It is a shame :( no idea whey they put sealant under it. So that was another nail in the coffin with my "pretty" cover that I received damaged to return it. "that will rear its head down the road" What do you mean by that? I was actually thinking about grinding it down so it was flat, but that is stupid on a like new item. Probably cause more problems.

Yes the actual Mopar CF cover is very nice! One was going for $1k on eBay I believe or close to it. Not sure if it sold or not. There was a local with one on his SRT-4 swapped 1st gen YEARS ago. It always leaked! He sold it to another local, "NachoSRT" on SRTforums and it leaked too on his 04 Neon SRT-4 hahaha. From what I read they are known to leak and do not seal well, no matter how much extra RTV you put on them. :(

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:13 pm

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:41 am
"that will rear its head down the road" What do you mean by that?

Hidden damage that might crack or peel later on. Powder coat is pretty tough, but it can also chip easily around sharper corners/edges, from what I have heard.

As where normal paint will just leave it at being scratched etc, being softer it will not generally crack, unless it has a lot of hardener...

I would agree with returning it, for what it costs you shouldn't have to work to make it better, unless the seller is offering a substantial discount.
Bill

1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:13 am

Makes sense about it peeling or crack. He already got it back according to USPS. He said, "I'll check and inspect when I get home" That was 10 hours ago :roll: He better not be pulling some BS with me and say its all messed up or something or I am going to file a PayPal claim immediately.

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

Return to “Progress/Project Log”