ZeroChad's Log -- Parting out this weekend.

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:36 am

I might take you up on that man. It really depends if I don't find any new manifolds floating around on ebay. I've seen some before for about $50. It'd be nice since I'll be moving back to school on the 14 and it'd be clean enough to keep inside.

Well change of plans as always. The weather was amazing today, so I scrapped going to the mechanic to get the bolts removed. Went outside and finished cleaning the r/t head. I used seafoam and went to town. Its as clean as I want it now. No more carbon deposits.

The big task today was painting the calipers. I also did the drums black, nothing special. The Duplicolor caliper cleaner is amazing. It worked better than brake cleaner to get all of the deposits off.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Oh Yeah!

Post by ZeroChad » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:14 pm

Got Nexens mounted and balanced on the slipstreams, followed by an alignment this weekend. Dang, these things are sharp. Again these are the 16x7 with 225/45/16 tires. I need to put some tire shine on them, but I haven't had time yet. I though I'd snap a few pics during my lunch break today though. I'll go for a little photoshoot after I get the window tint on.

Oh, the guys at Belle Tire busted my drivers side front center cap. So I should be getting a new one in the mail, free.

The Nexen n3000 handle amazing. It is also due to the 5cm wider tire, but I'm loving them so far. Dang are these things quite though. I have almost zero sound coming from them on the highway. Its eerie.

Also, I received my relays, so the intake wiring should get done this weekend.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

krc21
2GN Member

Post by krc21 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:21 pm

looks good man. take some pics from farther away..

Nutmeg
2GN Member

Post by Nutmeg » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:29 pm

I've never been a big fan of flat black, but they still look pretty good.

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:16 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'll throw some more pics up in the next few days. Its down-pouring tonight like crazy, and my car is in desperate need of a wash after the cross-state trip. I think with some window tint and tire shine she'll be looking pretty sweet.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:34 pm

Here's a few more pics.

Fresh meat :twisted:

A few profile pics
ImageDang, focus is off in this one.

Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:50 pm

Jeeeez, I want 225 tires now.

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:17 am

invujerry wrote:Jeeeez, I want 225 tires now.
lol I know man! I love how these things almost look too big.

UPDATE 7-6-08
Started my wiring today for the mag intake. Got the relays and sensors all wired to each other, tapped and wrapped up nicely. I'm planning on installing them below the center of the dash, so wiring up indicator lights in the cabin should be easier. I'll only need to run 3 wires through the firewall. I'll probably just snag some shielded cable from work.

I'm still deciding where I want to put the indicator lights though. I'm thinking either making a fill plate for the defroster cubby, or lighting up the cupholders with waterbottles. I'd have one for WOT and one for the butterfly activation.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:10 pm

Update 7/9/08
Well I'm packing to move back to school today, so I thought I'd finish up my intake wiring when I needed a break.

I ended up running all of my 3 engine bay wire to the fuse box area. From there, I ran a shielded cable inside and attached my sensors and relays. I located them in the center console area for easy access.

I haven't got them all working right yet though. I tried programming the zex and its actuating at about 1/2 throttle instead of WOT. Its not too big of a deal since I wanted to do 3/4 throttle in the long run. TPS on the scangauge is reading 25 when it fires when at WOT it will read 55 max. It could be due to the 60mm TB, but I don't really have time to troubleshoot right now.

The window switch is being kindof a pain. I messed with it for about 15min and haven't gotten it programmed right. So right now, I just have the secondaries opening off the WOT switch.

A couple pics of the install.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:51 pm

UPDATE 7/30/08

Well I had a CEL 108 a few weeks ago. Its been a busy past few weeks moving back in to school so I've been dealing with running around in limp mode a lot. Turns out the CEL was for MAP sensor voltage being to high. I confirmed this with the scangauge reading 15.4, damn.

I checked the local salvage yards, and they either didn't have one, or didn't want to sell me one. Well I took a hit to the nuts and ordered the $90 one from Advanced. Well I just got it today and went out and installed it while bullshitting with my buddy.

Well no wonder I was getting a CEL

When I pulled the connector off, the map sensor was in two pieces. It wiggled around before, so the leads were probably shorting together. Not really sure what damaged it, maybe it had been like that from buying it salvaged. Either way, it was donezo.

Runs like a charm now, thank god.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:12 pm

UPDATE 8-9-08
Well things have been going kinda slow on Zero's progress compared to the start of the summer. I'm looking into getting the rest of the supplies for the end-of-summer-pre-turbo-rebuild.

Right now I have a magnum head, timing belt tensioner, timing belt, adjustable cam gear, water pump and gaskets. I'm looking into getting a comp 400, arp head studs, new head gasket, high output oil pump, crank seal, and cam seal.

Any thing else worth the time while its apart? I'm hoping to get this all done in a weekend so we will see how it goes. I might need a new header/cat too. Something to tide me over till I turbo in the spring.

A Few Pics
I quick low profile shot I think looks kinda cool

This is how close the rear tension strut runs too the 225s

I snapped a pic of my redone tails today too.
Before

After
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:01 pm

Update: 9-12-08

Well the rebuild is getting pushed back a few months. School has caught up to me. I wanna take my time and make sure I have everything that I need for it.

I did go on a photoshoot today, check it out. LINK
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:05 pm

Photoshoot came out good, and as much as you may want to do the rebuild now, priorities take hold. I feel you on school though, full time classes suck.

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:57 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:Photoshoot came out good, and as much as you may want to do the rebuild now, priorities take hold. I feel you on school though, full time classes suck.
Thanks! Yeah, I go back to my internship in a few weeks, so I should have more time to gather the parts that I need. I do have a DC Sports rear strut tower bar in the mail right now though.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:33 pm

UPDATE 11-15-08

Long time since my last update. Here's a quick list of what's new
  • 1. Bought replacement center cap since Belle Tire never got me one. :roll:
    2. Installed DC Sports Rear Bar
    3. Gave her the pre-winter wash, wax, n clean.
    4. Purchased a Comp 400 cam
    5. Swapped out the slips for the winter steelies & all seasons
Here's some pics of the cam.

So why haven't I put it in yet? Well I've begun gathering parts for my rebuild that'll go in at the same time. I'll post a list of all that I'm doing soon.

Here's a new list of my future plans
  • 1.DC Sports Front STB
    2. Fix mag intake wiring
    3. Bwoody solid mounts
    4. Window tinting (I think I found a reliable guy)
    5. Exhaust port smoothing on the mag head
    6. Get front sway on
    7. swap to 24# injectors for e85
    8. Engine rebuild (This should happen in late Jan or early Feb when I have garage access.)
    8. Megasqurt (Spring/Summer 09)
    9. New Clutch & LW Flywheel (Spring/Summer 09)
    10. SRT turbo setup(Fall/ Winter 09)
As you can see, I have a big agenda for the next year or so. I'll just be graduating in Dec 09. It's my goal to have all of this accomplished by then. Once I graduate, I should have plenty of money to finish off the exterior and interior.
Last edited by ZeroChad on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:42 pm

Hey I have the same tires and sway bars as you. Nexen N3000 on my SRT though. Sticky as fuck!

So I have a question..

I have tiens and it's dropped pretty decently. The handling feels 20x better than my neon with stock suspenion and hotchskis. SO what is the point of putting hotchskis on a dropped neon? I don't see how much more it can improve...
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:47 pm

Adionik wrote:Hey I have the same tires and sway bars as you. Nexen N3000 on my SRT though. Sticky as fuck!

So I have a question..

I have tiens and it's dropped pretty decently. The handling feels 20x better than my neon with stock suspenion and hotchskis. SO what is the point of putting hotchskis on a dropped neon? I don't see how much more it can improve...
Yeah I'm very happy with the N3000. They were super cheap, and I was never able to break em loose during normal street driving, even rain. I have my shitty all seasons on right now, and they suck in the rain compared to the nexens.

I with the rear sway installed I noticed a huge difference, my neon came without a rear from the factory. Before, when going around highway curves, if I hit a bump, I could feel the ass end start to shake. Now its stiff as a rock.

I've had the front one off for a while. Actually its been off since the coilovers have been on :tardbang: So I can't really give a comparison on that one. The front bar is freakin huge compared to the stock one though, so even if lowered and sticky tires, I'd imagine there are some gains to be had there.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:54 pm

Yeah...I will probably swap over the bars from my neon than.

225 50 17 ZR for $250 shipped to the door is awesome
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:23 am

UPDATE 11-17-08

Well I've put together a list of what I'm planning to do for the rebuild. If you can think of anything else I should do while I'm "in there" feel free to comment. I was considering pistons and rods, but I don't think I have the resouces to do that right now.

Exhaust
Cheap Header--------Pacesetter/Mag/ebay Something to hold me over until the turbo
Downpipe---------------I'll probably get a new one with a cat delete that'll be compatible with the srt manifold and have room for a wideband.
Header Studs---------Not too sure if I should Invest in these.

Top End
Mag Head---------------[Have]. Doing some minor P&P
Cam----------------------[have]Went with a comp 400
Cam Gear----------------[have]Fidanza Adjustable
Head bolts--------------Need this if I'm gunna boost (ARP?)
Cam Seal----------------Might as well

Bottom End
Crank Seal--------------Might as well
Water Pump------------[have]
Tbelt Tensioner--------[have] Litens
Tbelt---------------------[have] Might go for a Gates Racing though
Oil Pump----------------High Volume. Not too easy to find.
Idler Pulley-------------Gates replacement

Other
Radiator Hose----------I think these are a 100k maint item too.
oil
coolant
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:33 pm

Seems like you have just about everything that you would need to do the jobs that you intend on doing. Nice work so far. Is the radiator hose really a 100k item? If so I'm overdue on that one and me being overdue on maintenance is unheard of! Ha ha :)

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:15 pm

Thanks for the double check! I thought I read that the hoses have a service interval as well, but I can't find it right now. I'll keep ya posted.

I also purchased some 24# injectors today to start running some e85. 5.0 Mustangs apparently have them with the same ev6 connector. I'll get them installed if it ever stops snowing. Started last night and its still snowing right now lol.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

Mat00ES
2GN Member

Post by Mat00ES » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:36 am

Damn your cars clean, loving the tire/wheel set up. As far as the hose goes, I had mine blow at around 130K, its such a cheap thing to replace I guess it can't hurt.
Dirty Daily Status
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000011

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:15 am

I asked a friend who is a tech and he said they usually are replaced around 100k because of the expansion and contraction they endure regularly. But if it exhibits no signs of drying or cracking, not to worry about it.

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:11 pm

Thanks Matt, I'm in love with those 225s. The car handles amazingly with them.

I appreciate the hose info too! Good stuff to know. I'll have to give it a once over.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:02 am

UPDATE: 12-4-08

Holy crap I've been getting things done. I have a ton of new parts in. Here's some new pics.

First, I received my 8 24# injectors. The other four that I'm not going to use are in my for sale thread. Now I just have to wait for gas to start going up again, and I'll have e85 as my backup.

I also bought a set of fogs for $50. These aren't going to be going in anytime soon. I'll probably install them in the spring with another set of HIDs.

I managed to get all of the seals and gaskets that I needed for my engine rebuild as well. Rock Auto is pretty sweet, I got everything in like 2 days.

Here is the replacement for the idler pulley. I have a feeling that It's what is making a lot of the engine noise right now. Something underneath the timing cover is as well, but lets just hope it lasts for 2 more months.

Lastly, I received some sanding drums that I ordered from Summit Racing. My main goal is to polish the exhaust ports on my magnum head, and to get a few nicks out of one of the combustion chambers. It looks like there was a foreign object in there.
Image[/img]

So what else is new? Well lets run through the parts that I'm still in need of.
  • ARP Head studs
    ARP Exhaust Header Studs
    Magnum exhaust manifold
    ebay downpipe
    non-fouler mod
I also have a spare fuel rail with clips coming from lionhearted. That'll make swapping out injectors easier if I switch between e85 and unleaded a few times.

I'm also seriously considering installing a AEM UEGO and an oil pressure gauge during the rebuild. I might as well since I'm planning on going Megasquirt in the summer.

Next Week: Have most of my remaining parts ordered, Start P&P, and hopefully get the freakin sway bar on.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:47 pm

Niiiiiice, you have quite the install day ahead of you when the warmer weather arrives.

Mr Josh Zombie
2010 Platinum Contributor

Post by Mr Josh Zombie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:55 pm

why swtich to e85.... ever?

it just burns off faster and you get less gas milage.... good for tuning, badddd for DD's
Modify your Car • Modify your Body • Modify your Life

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:07 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:Niiiiiice, you have quite the install day ahead of you when the warmer weather arrives.
Yeah it should be a fun time. I'm actually doing the whole rebuild towards the end of January, maybe February. I have a couple roommates at school that owe me a lot of favors from computer help and fixing random electronics stuff. They both have tons of automotive experience, and one of them has a heated garage!

why swtich to e85.... ever?

it just burns off faster and you get less gas milage.... good for tuning, badddd for DD's
I guess its my curiosity lol. I don't know if I'll even try it till spring though. Fall/Spring I live like 5min away from work and don't really leave town too much so it's not really a bid deal. There's a e85 station like 3 blocks from my work too.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:30 am

Update 12-15-08

Well as a weekend project I did some P&P on the exhaust ports of my mag head. My main goal was to smooth down the casting bumps and to smooth the ports so that carbon won't build up as easily. I started out working the ports with 80grit sanding drums and moved on to 120grit. It turned out pretty good. These pictures aren't the greatest though. I think I might hit them up with some 400grit by hand just to make sure everything is nice and smooth.

Did they really need to put the 2E there?

I was thinking about hitting the intake with 80grit a little bit, but I'm not sure I will. I don't want to mess up the fuel atomization.

In other news I ordered a downpipe, arp Head studs, and arp exhaust studs. Now the only thing I need left for my rebuild is a header.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe

2002TuRboNeoN
2GN Member

Post by 2002TuRboNeoN » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:00 pm

sexy...will be doing the same to the srt head...did u keep the intake a little ruff...polish the exhaust ot get a really nice flow from them...soemthign aboiut air fuel mixture works better if intake is just a little ruff to the touch
SRT-4 Swap into the 02, CAI, unorthodox UDP, turbo xs RFL BOV, Boomba solid MM, 3" downpipe

Return to “Progress/Project Log”