sidepipe87: A pandemic miracle

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:31 am

I ripped the car apart last night after work, ate dinner then called it a night. This morning I got the timing belt installed after verifying cylinder 1 was at TDC, checked my stupid tolerance of the spring tang in the window on the tensioner a bunch of times (I hate that damn thing...) then turned it over by hand 2 revolutions and I was still within the tolerance window so I put it back together and hoped for the best. I started up the car and it fired right up. I left the top outer timing cover off so I could check the timing marks. Here's what I found after letting it run:

They are still lined up! The car sounds a lot better now. It's really loud in the garage but it basically sounds like the dump truck sound of an SRT but louder due to t being catless and in a garage.

Now I need to get the vac lines all figured out. I'm not exactly sure how these should be setup. I've looked at the diagrams on SRTForums but they don't make sense to me. I'm on PCM controlled boost, HKS BOV, and Mopar CAI. I've capped the nipple on the side of the turbo, the nipple on the IM that connected to the stock airbox, and where the red line connected to the solenoid and removed it. I'm not sure where to T into for the BOV or what else to do really. Any help? I need to look at more pics I guess.

Capped the open port on the IM after this pic was taken, as well as the port on the solenoid where the red line is

Where does the green line go? It looks like it's missing part of it... how about the pink? and the black with the T's?

Overall engine bay shot, basically how it currently looks.

Last edited by sidepipe87 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:14 am

So sick dude...Sooo sick.
Here is a video I made a while back of my vacuum line setup. Hope it helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR5SYtbHlU8
Would be a good idea to run the red line since it tells the PCM what the hell is going on with boost.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:49 am

Thanks! I'll check out that video. I thought I read that the red one could e capped, doh. I'll put it back on. I feel like I should run a vac block and make this easier. I remember your thread about getting one. Maybe I should look into that more.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Yeah the help a ton. Since you can get the righ sized barb fittings for it and don't ahve a bunch of vacuum T's everywhere.
Cheapest I could find it, not sure about the site though:
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalo ... ts_id=1780

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:59 pm

STILL need to do the vac lines, but yesterday I finished up a few other projects and decided to see if the car would move under its own power. The brakes aren't working after I bled them so I need to check for vac leaks to the brakes and rebleed them. I drove it out of the garage under its own power and hosed it off!

Last edited by sidepipe87 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:03 pm

Looks damn good!
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks Got my new AGP catch can in from Modern yesterday so I'll install that today.

sxxxt
2GN Member

Post by sxxxt » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Holy crap dude this car is lookin freakin good... Love thr wheels love the spoiler love thr orange just love it

ThatKevin
2GN Member

Post by ThatKevin » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:45 pm

oh man, sooo jelly
'02 Chrysler Neon RT - SOHC 50trim+Crane 007 ---DEAD---
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4 - DSP & bolt ons ---SOLD---
'08 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - MS1Kv3
Progress Log

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks Zack. It feels really good to be able to say I built it myself. Rebuilt the engine from the ground up, molded the trunk/spoiler on my own, swapped the car on my own... with Kyle helping me get the engine and trans in... the first time lol. It will feel soo good to finally drive it.

Kevin - thank you. I can't wait to finally get it on the road! It should be really fun to drive. Then once I get it all squared away I have a DSP to play around with.

speed127
2011 Gold Contributor

Post by speed127 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:48 pm

looks good and I love that one pic of your girlfriend/wife holding her head if frustration or pain or.... ? My wife can relate.
- Custom or Nuthin -
-My SRT4 swap project log-
viewtopic.php?p=923967#923967
-My 2nd gen progress log-
viewtopic.php?t=52665&highlight=
-My 1st gen project log-
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 7#p3090897

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:28 pm

She's rubbing her head because she finna roll inside. "Oh my look at the time! It's nap :30!"
el. oh. el.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:22 pm

hahaha. She actually tolerates me playing car pretty damn well! Adam is pretty close, I think she was tired or had itchy allergy eyes! :rofl:

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:20 pm

Dude, fucking congrats!!!!

So happy for you man, I know you have struggled quite a bit in this journey but all your hard work is paying off!
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:03 pm

For those of you not on Facebook, I drove the car on the road for the first time Sunday. I decided to pull the car up the driveway while my girlfriend was upstairs.

She was not too happy that I didn't come get her for the first drive! lol

We took it up to the gas station to see how it felt and of course it started raining...

Car felt pretty good overall other than the fact it felt like the e-brake was stuck on. Might just be me getting used to the ACT clutch which is almost ON/OFF. Not as bad as a race clutch, as this is the street one, but much more noticeable than my PT clutch. Noise in the RF when turning. Could very well be the tires rubbing since I lowered it more, or maybe a bad hub bearing since I swapped the SRT steering and brakes in.

After filling up I pull out and it starts pouring. I hear a DING! and the ABS and BRAKE light come on. I pulled over to check it out. The brakes felt fine and the reservoir was full still. I look under the car and see something leaking from the firewall area near the brake booster/turbo. It was raining so I couldn't tell what it was. I drove the car back home and parked it because it was Father's Day and I had to leave for dinner. My fear was one of the turbo coolant lines had failed...

I jacked it up last night and I see orangey fluid on the garage floor and all over the underneath... coolant. I pull the STB, and CAI off to take a look. After looking for signs of dampness or lines being broken I glance down at the heater hoses connecting to the firewall. The one has the clamp pulled back I forgot to tighten, the other is missing the clamp... shit. This would make sense as to where I was seeing the coolant and I sure hope that is the problem because I love easy fixes! :lol: I couldn't find the other clamp so I will put one on tomorrow when I'm back over there and refill the system.

I borrowed an ABS code reader from my brother and read the codes. There were 3 codes and they seemed to indicate the LF wheel speed sensor was out of range, and the circuit was open. I didn't have time to check it yet but it seems like a non-threatening issue I can tackle.

I noticed when shifting, not even in boost, I hear a fluttering which I assumed was coming from my HKS BOV. I'm not sure if it is and the spring is too tight, the signal is too weak, or it is actually the turbo fluttering that I am hearing through the intake. Any ideas? Is the SSQV adjustable?

I think when I get these issues fixed the car will be ready to drive! ...I hope. I need to get it inspected before July and break the engine in for the trip to Carlisle.

speed127
2011 Gold Contributor

Post by speed127 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:52 pm

when your shifting, your in a deep vacuum, so the BOV should be shut. No matter how tight/loose the spring is in the BOV it will be shut when in a vacuum. (unless an o ring or something is bad) My guess is your right on with the sound just coming from your intake.... if you have a stock box, throw that on and see if the sound goes away.
- Custom or Nuthin -
-My 1st gen project log-

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 pm

The SSQV does not have a spring it's a valve (vacuum pulls the valve open and then when you let off the gas to shift the valve goes shut causes the super awesome loud whistle) instead, hence the Super SeQuential Valve. So no spring thus it cannot be adjusted AKIAK. Like I told you the other day through text mine makes the same noise when I shift in low vacuum. I assume the 'flutter' is coming from the bov being open from the little bit of vacuum AKA a lower audible whistle.

Do you have a zip tie or something keeping the vacuum hose on the bov? If not put one there. Also don't use that POS plastic filter thing that comes with the HKS. They are prone to leaking boost there and are worthless.
03' Dodge Neon...SRT-4 swap
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

NGCnoproblem
2GN Member

Post by NGCnoproblem » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Lovin the pvo spoiler man!
Sorry for Party Rockin

NeonNick925
2GN Member

Post by NeonNick925 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:46 pm

looks siiiiick man!
2000 Plymouth Neon ACR/T hybrid 3 speed auto•now a 5 speed•

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:04 pm

Since it's clear your red tails aren't on the car, I can haz?
el. oh. el.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:38 am

^Nup! Keeping them! Won't pass inspection with them on dat's why!

So Friday evening I got my clamp on my heater hose and filled the car up with coolant. Also decided to take the Needswings catless downpipe off since it's illegal and did't want to fail inspection. I'm thinking of selling it and looking for a catted DP with a 3rd hole for the wideband. Probably going to buy another full exhaust as well since the TruBendz piping is utter shit. Fits like shit, has like 10 pieces, bends in the wrong place and the exhaust sits like 2" off the ground.

Anyway, my dad inspected the car Saturday and he said everything looked good :smile:

I didn't get too much done with it this weekend but I did drive it a bit. Put gas in it yesterday then leaving the station it kept popping out of 2nd on the way home and I lost reverse as well... Decided to check the shifter cable clips when I got home because I felt play in the shifter and I didn't get a good sense that the one clip went on properly when I put it on. Took the STB, battery and CAI out and sure enough... the clip fell off. Luckily it fell on the tranny. After a fea minutes fighting it and jamming the cable against the holder with a prybar I got the clip on the right way and all was good again. Hopefully that's the last of the gremlins.

Tonight I decided to rip one of my mirrors apart from the red car and resume the 300M mirror project since I broke the motor on my original mirrror. Well now that I know how to get it apart it was a cake walk and I got the drivers side mirrir done! Now I need to do the passenger side and repaint them both and I'll be good. Here's a pic and a video. Not sure what the noise is... must be the neighbors AC. The car wasn't running.

Now I need to recharge the AC, finish center caps, hopefully finish CF door inserts and detail the car.

The last thing left to do will be to accept the fact that that car WILL make it to Carlisle and commit to putting the window sticker on :lol:
Last edited by sidepipe87 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

sxxxt
2GN Member

Post by sxxxt » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:33 am

Sweet... Keep up the progress. Can't wait to see this car. I'll b the one drooling at the engin bay. Lol

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:36 am

300 mirrors. Yes. :thumbup:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:57 am

Lolz, your neon is taller than her. :lol:

Hopefully she forgets this comment by Carlisle next year.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

speed127
2011 Gold Contributor

Post by speed127 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:41 am

can't wait to see the mirrors in person on the car. Ryan was gona do this too but I never seen them on the car.
- Custom or Nuthin -
-My 1st gen project log-

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:20 am

I bought this set of mirrors from Ryan. I think he still has another set he was going to put on his brother's car. As far as i know he has yet to do it. I think I'm the first :lol: Really the worst part is really extending the turn signal wires out into the door connectors so it all looks OEM. I just added an extra pin in an empty slot on them.

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:08 pm

Wait, I thought you ARE Ryan?
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:54 pm

I am... he is referring to ryan keyser. a23dranger

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:55 pm

Ah OK. Was not aware there was another Ryan.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:01 pm

Glad you are working all the kinks out and they are easy fixes. Those mirrors are so badass. Are they off a 300m? Might of missed the post

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

Return to “Progress/Project Log”