My 04 SXT 0344 is a PITA!!!!

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
mopar4life
2GN Member

Post by mopar4life » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:34 pm

AUTO BODY FAIL, take it to a better shop.
randomZERO wrote:I'm trying to help you not insult you. This is why neons have a bad name is because people buy all these plastic do dads and crazy lites, the neon is not a christmas tree. .

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:56 pm

Can't unless I'm paying for it.
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

J-Villa
2GN Veteran

Post by J-Villa » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:03 pm

time to trade her in
Wanna Sell Me Your 2gn??
Official I sold my Neon Member #004

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:08 pm

Can't unless I take a big loss. I owe 9700 on her...
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:29 am

take it back don't settle with the shop or insurance till its back to exactly the condition minus after market shit that is was before
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:09 am

Oh it's going back on Saturday, and it will be fixed properly.

hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:41 pm

a couple key words to keep in mind... they are suppose to restore the car to "PRE-LOSS" condition.

that means no rippling of metal anywhere on the car.
| - John || Project Log || Official I'm Going To Drive My Neon Till It Dies Club #000001 |
Everyone knows that for breasts to be "perfect" they need to be within reach.

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:54 pm

Going back to the shop tomorrow and make them fix a few things.

The hood isn't aligned at all, or their "fix" of the hood isn't working, so I want them to realign the front body panels, plus I want them to look at the overspray or whatever it is on the pass. rear door, AND pass. side mirror glass. Plus I've noticed my steering wheel is wobbly. As in if I push it up the wheel itself moves, not the whole column. Makes driving a lot of fun, lemme tell ya... And that was DEFINITELY not there before the accident, it showed up within a day of taking the car from them.

hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:13 pm

I can see a law suit coming out of this.... and don't hesitate to find a good lawyer.
| - John || Project Log || Official I'm Going To Drive My Neon Till It Dies Club #000001 |

jrumann59
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by jrumann59 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:34 pm

TheRandom1 wrote:Going back to the shop tomorrow and make them fix a few things.

The hood isn't aligned at all, or their "fix" of the hood isn't working, so I want them to realign the front body panels, plus I want them to look at the overspray or whatever it is on the pass. rear door, AND pass. side mirror glass. Plus I've noticed my steering wheel is wobbly. As in if I push it up the wheel itself moves, not the whole column. Makes driving a lot of fun, lemme tell ya... And that was DEFINITELY not there before the accident, it showed up within a day of taking the car from them.
Sounds like they had the wheel taken off, for the alignment because they couldn't get it to center and improperly re installed it.
bone-yard-racing wrote:
Remind him of two things for the mustang:
Slow in=Fast out
Fast in=Ambulance out
ImageImage

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:24 pm

Went into the shop this morning and talked with Arnie, the owner. He was out of town when I picked up the car, otherwise I'd have spoken to him that day before taking the car back.

He apologized a TON and let me know that he would have never allowed my car to leave his shop looking like it does. We made an appointment for me to bring the car back next Saturday at 8 am when they open, and while I wait, he will fix the car properly as much as he can. He will do the work himself, nobody else.

On the list of things he's going to be working on will be:

-realign the front body panels,
-check frame repair since I'm convinced the motor mount should be more parallel to the inner fender
-figure out what's wrong with the steering wheel
-remove overspray from the right rear of the car
-remove overspray from pass. side mirror
-straighten inner fender so there's not a huge gap there

I will probably just go to a JY for the sidemarker clip I need, it's so insignificant that it's not even worth the time to tell him about it.

I'm happy that he was so shocked at how my car was repaired and very eager sounding to get it done right and make me happy. That was EXACTLY the right response.

hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:33 pm

Good luck yo. I hope he lives up to your expectations... truly. It sucks having shitty work done.

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:00 pm

Well, after a couple months of being jerked around by the body shop (I was told to call late in the week to confirm the appointment, and nobody would answer the phone, or return my calls etc) I went back to the insurance company and bitched.

They sent their insurance adjuster out to meet me at the body shop today where stuff FINALLY got straightened out a bit.

The verdict? Next saturday I take the car back for (hopefully) the final time. They will pull the frame out more which should take care of the headlight gap, the wrinkled inner fender, and allow the whole front end to be realigned the right way.

They're going to replace my entire steering column instead of messing with it and trying to replace whatever is bad and making the steering wheel wobble.

They're also going to reinstall the front and side lip kit parts, so that should be good too!

I also figured out what happened in the suspension to make the car sit crooked. When they replaced the pass. front suspension they replaced EVERYTHING. Knuckle, spindle, strut, SPRING, everything. When they replaced the spring, they put a stocker in. My car is lowered on 1st gen ACR springs, so that side is being propped up.

I'm not going to worry about it since I want to replace it with a good set of coilovers this winter anyways. Unless someone has a coil they'll sell cheap without making me buy the other 3? :lol:

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:09 pm

Damn, I figured you got this squared away already! Now that the insurance company is involved your car should be right again.

I don't have any 1st gen ACR springs, but I do have a set of 2nd gens :lol:
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:01 pm

That won't keep me low, however, lol.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:00 pm

True

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:00 pm

True :roll: It was worth a shot :lol:

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:02 pm

I don't blame ya! :lol:

Is it possible to get just one spring from the dealer for a reasonable price?

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:11 pm

The single spring will run about $115.00. I would need a 1st gen ACR VIN to pull up the correct listing. Or if you have the tag # off the one you have I can figure out the other side.

For some reason, Chrysler has lumped all the sales codes together for the springs. According to them, one part # covers springs for Standard, Special, European, and Competition. But there are several to choose from, they just all have the same listing :banghead:

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:13 pm

115 bucks really???? I paid 50 shipped for all 4!!!!!

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:15 pm

Welcome to OE 1st gen pricing sir :lol:

Look at it this way, now you know you got a great deal :D

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:44 pm

Apparently... now I'm DEFINITELY just going to wait until I get coilovers!

Maddog
2GN Member

Post by Maddog » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:19 pm

I was going to volunteer my '97 ACR VIN for reference purposes, but, if you don't need it... :thumbup:

Also, the following models of 1st gens will give you the same spring rates of a 1st gen ('95-'99) ACR, which is 150# for the front:

ALL '95 Base Sedans with no a/c or sway bars
All '95-'96 Sport Coupes
All '98 and '99 R/Ts
All ACR model years, sedan or coupe
'02 Flame Red SXR/T

(sorry, no link on banner)

Complete Short Throw Shifters sold here! Custom work available!
PM or email aclnes55@yahoo.com for more information.

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:23 pm

I'll remember that if I find myself perusing a junkyard anytime soon, thanks chuck!

Maddog
2GN Member

Post by Maddog » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:55 pm

TheRandom1 wrote:I'll remember that if I find myself perusing a junkyard anytime soon, thanks chuck!
I and Nick will keep our eyes open, since we are at a yard at least every other Friday/Saturday.
'02 Flame Red SXR/T

(sorry, no link on banner)

Complete Short Throw Shifters sold here! Custom work available!
PM or email aclnes55@yahoo.com for more information.

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:59 pm

It would certainly be appreciated! Not sure if it mattes, but it's the pass front that is needed.

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:05 pm

Alright, well I just got back from the body shop a few minutes ago... new steering column is in, complete with another steering wheel that is in better shape than my other one, so that's cool.

They showed me the measurements, the frame is within specs, so that is not the problem with the front end, so we're back to it being aftermarket parts. I have to call the insurance company on Monday and talk to the adjuster, and have him approve a new fender and bumper that are OEM so we can get this fixed properly now... hopefully that won't take long.

I also noticed how bad the steering wheel was shaking on my way home was getting worse. I decided to test if it was the car or tires by swapping to my new summer wheels. Put them on, and all of a sudden 95 MPH without any shaking is possible whereas before, 75 would shake so bad I thought the car was going to fall apart.

So my next trip is to get the wheels rotated and rebalanced.

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:01 am

Wheels got rebalanced and now feel OK when they're good on air, so that's good. And it's now at the body shop for what I hope is the final time, getting the bumper and right fender replaced with OEM parts, but I'm retarded, read the story below and laugh.

When I dropped the car off to get worked on last night, I left my house keys on the ring with my car keys...
Just called the body shop, they’re sending the keys home with a delivery driver from my work when he gets out there.(great to be in charge of shipping stuff lol)

I called the dude to tell him my guy is coming to pick up the keys and he scared the shit out of me…

Me: “hey Arnie, its Sean O’Keefe with the silver Neon.”
Arnie: Hey, I thought you were going to drop it off last night?”
Me:”…(nervous spluttering”
Arnie: “I’m just kidding with you, we got it here, we’re working on it now.”

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:09 pm

Yep, that's a little trick that shops like to play on customers that they are comfortable with...and that they have had to deal with multiple times :lol:

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:46 pm

I laughed after I nearly crapped myself lol.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”