LionheartedSXT's Log: Got a lot of work done, Pic Heavy!!!

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
neonslg09
2GN Veteran

Post by neonslg09 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:42 pm

:lol:

Why the new radiator?

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:50 pm

Well I guess I better update the title as well. jerk :lol:

Long story short is I installed an external tranny cooler so I had to remove the lines going from the rad to the trans. And for some reason after tranny fluid came out of the stock cooler in the radiator, coolant came out like a couple mins later as well. I plugged the holes to the cooler and it leaked out other places. I don't have any traces of coolant in the tranny fluid so that is good. But yea car is on jack stands right now and I gotta wait till tuesday to get my new one if UPS doesn't deliver on monday which i'm sure they wont since its MLK day.
-Chad
MoxHair wrote:pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Its all smoke and mirrors.
- Project Log
- Feedback

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Well perhaps UPS will deliver tomorrow since on their website it says MLK day is recognized but not observed. So hopefully the car will be back on the road by tomorrow. And as a little teaser, this is what happens when you take off the front bumper more than is necessary...

Intercooler mount for later, yup still doing the atx turbo project :D

Trans cooler, condenser, and fans

Trans temp gauge

:thumbup:
-Chad
MoxHair wrote:pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Its all smoke and mirrors.
- Project Log
- Feedback

neonslg09
2GN Veteran

Post by neonslg09 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:43 pm

Lookin good, needs more moneys for the turbo project! ATX boost is pure win.

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:52 pm

I take it the car will be boosted once its off those jack stands since it has the intercooler mounted up? As in you are starting the turbo install?

Noice!

08 Acura TL-S
05 Neon SRT-4

neonslg09
2GN Veteran

Post by neonslg09 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:04 pm

It better be. Besides replacing the radiator from hell

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:09 pm

neonslg09 wrote:Lookin good, needs more moneys for the turbo project! ATX boost is pure win.
Yea I know. And I only have a couple things left to do, But its probably the more expensive parts of the build.

MyNeonSaysHi wrote:I take it the car will be boosted once its off those jack stands since it has the intercooler mounted up? As in you are starting the turbo install?

Noice!

I wish. this was just a mock up to make sure it will fit properly and save me some time with the cutting and fitting when I'm ready to get everything under way. I'm currently waiting on my adapter plate being made by doubtedneon/Colt and I still must purchase my MS unit from most likely Erick.
Last edited by LionheartedSXT on Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

Alex Kurdian
2GN Member

Rad

Post by Alex Kurdian » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:19 pm

What sort of radiator are you getting? koyo? OEM? let me know what you get I wanna do some preventative maintenance and replace my almost 100,000km rad!
I drove My Neon till it "SOLD" And then bought a Mazda 3 Skyactiv
Australia 01
"So say We ALL"

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:24 pm

I'm getting another OEM one. I didn't feel like buying a performance radiator that I wont be using for a while. I was trying to do preventative maintenance to my car by getting an external tranny cooler but the unexpected happened and my radiator had a crazy leak. But at least the tranny is fine.
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

Alex Kurdian
2GN Member

That

Post by Alex Kurdian » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:32 pm

Thats what scares me...my rad is fine at the moment but hey as the trans cooler runs through it that's a worry! how much U paying for oem? and where U getting it from? here in Aus they want 1200 bucks for a new one I told em where to go and stick it !
I drove My Neon till it "SOLD" And then bought a Mazda 3 Skyactiv
Australia 01
"So say We ALL"

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:42 pm

I got mine from www.Radiatorexpress.com
Or you could try these if you want to shop around:

www.radiatorbarn.com
www.car-stuff.com
www.partstrain.com
www.autopartswarehouse.com

I'm not entirely sure how the shipping would be for Australia or how long it will take. These websites seem to only have UPS ground I believe. I didn't see any options on radiator express for 2nd day air or anything like that but it doesn't hurt to try the other ones, most of them have free shipping.
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:59 pm

I had the same thing go bad in my 85 ram van, only it did screw up my trans.
So many neons so little time.

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:36 pm

Damn that sucks man. I guess I got lucky. As far as I know there is nothing wrong with the tranny. I had to make it back to orlando with the leaking radiator and the tranny ran fine on its own cooler so i'm 99% positive I don't have any coolant in there.
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:44 pm

Interfooler FTL.
el. oh. el.

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:39 pm

lol I knew you would chime in about that hahaha, nah its not staying there I promise that, just a mock up.
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

neonslg09
2GN Veteran

Post by neonslg09 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:40 pm

Get it done already.

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:44 pm

lol fund me jerk. In all honesty it may not be done soon, since I have to find time to do it when i don't have school. But I do have some other projects in the works that may come first.
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

neonslg09
2GN Veteran

Post by neonslg09 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:55 pm

*throws dollar bills to orlando*

hul kogan
Former Moderator

Post by hul kogan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Nice job Turtle Boy, I'm glad to see you bump this. Chad needed a little kick in the ass. :rofl:

I can't wait to see you get this car up and running with the turbo. I had a lot of fun with my car when it was still an ATX. You'll love it.
Chris | 00 Dodge Neon (Dark Jewel) | 04 Dodge Neon R/T | 00 Honda S2000 |

Proud member of CYL [www.caughtyalookin.com]

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:46 pm

I hate radiators.....with a passion such a PIA. Hope you can get the funds for your turbo soon!

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:55 pm

Your intake needs moar polish :lol:

Glad to see this comming together :thumbup:
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

dtjackten
2GN Member

Post by dtjackten » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:59 pm

good luck with the build, i cant wait to see u get this thing turboed...

also go to eric for ur ms! he is a great guy to deal with!
304whp and 285 ft lbs.... 15psi.
*on the way to 400whp*
dave

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:06 pm

neonslg09 wrote:*throws dollar bills to orlando*
Your monopoly money is no good here :lol:
hul kogan wrote:Nice job Turtle Boy, I'm glad to see you bump this. Chad needed a little kick in the ass. :rofl:

I can't wait to see you get this car up and running with the turbo. I had a lot of fun with my car when it was still an ATX. You'll love it.
Yea I kinda did actually, thanks. And I'm sure I will, Not only do I like to work with what I got but I also like to show people that you can still turbo without an mtx swap :)

LilSparkPlug wrote:I hate radiators.....with a passion such a PIA. Hope you can get the funds for your turbo soon!
Yea I wish I could have afforded the koyo with aluminum end tanks and I wouldn't have to worry about leaks in these cheap ass plastic ones. Yea I hope so too, but I'm not gonna rush it, I want this project to go flawlessly.

Danteneon wrote:Your intake needs moar polish :lol:

Glad to see this comming together :thumbup:
I hate you :lol:
We already discussed this, I am perfectly fine with you taking my manifold and polishing it for me, although I feel the enamel paint came out pretty well. Thanks man, I'm just getting back into the game now, but with an adapter plate actually being made, I can't give up now. :rockon:
dtjackten wrote:good luck with the build, i cant wait to see u get this thing turboed...

also go to eric for ur ms! he is a great guy to deal with!

Thanks man I can't wait either, oh and best believe I will be bugging Erick ALOT :thumbup:

On a side note radiator still isn't here :banghead:
Hopefully it comes soon so I can get this thing working again with no problems, hopefully more pics later.
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:39 pm

No definitely don't rush it....you'll kick yourself in the ass for it later if you do.

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:12 pm

I just keep getting the best of luck with these companies, first I get screwed twice by summit but I called them and they explained the situation so i guess their off the shit list for now and now radiator express fucked me over by sending me the wrong radiator today, awesome... :cussing: :banghead: :cussing:

/endrant
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Well If I haven't been dicked enough already this week by radiator express, here is an update. They won't pay for return shipping because apparently they don't do that even though they sent the wrong part and on top of that they have the wrong shit listed on their website. So I'm just going to get my money back and go to autozone to get one (yes I should have done that in the first place but it was a lot more expensive but oh well) Fact of the matter is I need a car so this story is ending today...
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Damn man. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with this :(
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:26 am

Fans mounted to new radiator

1/8 Brass plug from home depot to fit into the oem transmission cooler.

Didn't feel comfortable mounting the tranny cooler thru the radiator I JUST got. :roll:

So I just used regular zipties to mount them around the frame where the hood hinge is.

Bye Bye for now intercooler :(

All done!

Warming the car up for a test drive and she ran fine and no leaks.

Plus my transmission gauge started reading, thanks in part to Occasional Demons for the help on that :thumbup:

So I guess hopefully now I'm back to modding :roll:
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

neonslg09
2GN Veteran

Post by neonslg09 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:28 am

Very excited to hear it. I'm glad you FINALLY got everything worked out and running good. :thumbup:

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:34 am

Nice project so far!
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”