LionheartedSXT's Log: Got a lot of work done, Pic Heavy!!!

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
Passt
2GN Member

Post by Passt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:28 pm

I'm glad you got it back up and running.

Speeder
2GN Member

Post by Speeder » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:05 pm

how is the tranny cooler working i was thinking of putting something like that on my want i come time to change the radiator
-Adam
2010 Jeep Liberty
2003 Dodge Neon SXT ATX SOLD :mopar: :eekdance:

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:05 pm

Steven, Sean and Nate, Thanks a lot!

It was more than enough what I went through with this radiator. But when I look back, price wise, replacing a radiator is so much more plausible than replacing a transmission.

And Adam it pretty much works the same way as the stock one in the radiator except it on its own cooler now and there is no worry of tranny fluid and coolant EVER mixing. And I just used 3/8 hose that came with the cooler and you must get some brass connections from home depot to put in the transmission unless your stock fittings are different from mine (1/8 nipple to 1/8 to 3/8 reducer to 3/8 hose barb)

HOWEVER, if you do happen to get this same one from summit, I suggest not using the zip ties they give you since you must push them through the cooler, then through the condenser and radiator. And then you must cut them so they don't hit the fans (PIA). You would be better off mounting it the way I did just as not to damage the radiator.
-Chad
MoxHair wrote:pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Its all smoke and mirrors.
- Project Log
- Feedback

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:09 pm

I was just talking to Dave last night and we were saying how much it sucked that you didn't have this all squared away yet. SOOOO Glad you do!!

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks Crystal!
Yea I talked to him the day before about it. But from these experiences there is always a valuable lesson to be learned about where you buy parts and also from who. So I will be more open minded about that in the future.
-Chad
MoxHair wrote:pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Its all smoke and mirrors.
- Project Log
- Feedback

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:49 pm

Yeah nothing ever goes as planned when you absolutely need it to.

hul kogan
Former Moderator

Post by hul kogan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:29 am

=D>

Glad to see it's back in running order again. No tear it apart again for turbo action! :D

(I know, I know...I just have to be patient.)
Chris | 00 Dodge Neon (Dark Jewel) | 04 Dodge Neon R/T | 00 Honda S2000 |

Proud member of CYL [www.caughtyalookin.com]

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:31 am

These forums are excellent motivators....lol everyone always wants you off your ass and attacking the next thing :rofl:

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:53 pm

lol I know, don't worry one day he motivation will finally hit me. As for right now I'm in the process of sending some things to Jeff to get them powdercoated :)
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:53 am

I'm addicted to powdercoating.....it's an amazing invention.

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:12 am

lol its my first time trying it so I want to see how it turns out. Regular painting is overrated :roll: :lol:
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:59 pm

Well for any of you wondering what is so special about our neon radiators, its not much but for those of you with atx's wondering what dodge considers a tranny cooler here ya go, btw we had some fun with the old radiator since it was just taking up space in the garage.

Piece of garbage shown below that causes all the problems

On a progress note, the parts have arrived to Jeff and he said the powdercoating should be done by this weekend or mid next week, I'm excited. :D
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:21 pm

:rofl: That looks like something my boyfriend's sons would have done to a radiator! I hate tranny coolers, way too much BS.

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:23 pm

I just hate tranny's. You get all up on them dancing and shit and realize it's not your erection you're feeling...
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

NeonOn19s
2GN Member

Post by NeonOn19s » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:48 pm

TheRandom1 wrote:I just hate tranny's. You get all up on them dancing and shit and realize it's not your erection you're feeling...
:shock:

:rofl:
| Nathan |

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon til it Dies" Club Member # 72
Semper Fi!!! USMC

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:49 am

Crystal - I personally didn't want to do it, but from the first day i set it down in the garage my buddy wanted to destroy, after like 2 weeks I finally let him go at it, and of course I had to step in and get my own fun in as well ;)
And yup I hate them too, External is the way to go :thumbup:

Sean - :laughing3: :rofl:
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

dbesade
2GN Member

Post by dbesade » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:10 pm

hul kogan wrote:=D>

Glad to see it's back in running order again. No tear it apart again for turbo action! :D

(I know, I know...I just have to be patient.)
I tell him this every time I see him. Like yesterday for example. I've tried asking nice, I've tried being an ass, I have tried making fun of his car BUT HE WONT HURRY UP AND TURBO IT!. Common man hurry up I wanna see!

-Dave
Project Log
2gn Feedback

1976 AMC/Jeep CJ7 w/304 CID V8
2005 Orange Blast Dodge Neon SRT-4 w/2.4T L4 Stage 2 w/Toys

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:05 pm

You all must hurry up.....and wait. :D

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:21 pm

Got my parts back from jeff and they came out superb! They look ALOT better pc'd than they did spray painted. And the letters are nicely polished. You may not be able to see the difference if you look a page back or so to see the sprayed one, but I can see it clear as day. Also some progress, I picked up an oil pan from the junkyard to get a fitting welded into it, gonna clean it up and test it for leaks before I take it to get welded. Also picked up a spare tranny mount from the jy so I can fill it with something to match the solid mm's. That is all for now.
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:40 pm

Well in order to make the process of going turbo in the near future (hopefully) smoother, I'm going to start with some mods in order to give me less work later on. I've been very busy in school with class and looking to hopefully getting an internship for the summer.

So for right now what I will be doing is re-routing the CC and removing the stock coolant overflow and finding a new place for an aftermarket tank to go, the battery will be staying in the stock place. And I may be ordering some more parts for the build soon. Pics to come whenever these things get done.
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

neonslg09
2GN Veteran

Post by neonslg09 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:03 am

Those look sick! I love it, can't wait to see pictures of them on your car. Yo, I was in Tampa last week, I should have hit you up since Orlando isn't that far from it.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:00 am

Very nice work!

Ntyvirus1
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Ntyvirus1 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:02 am

its probably a good hour and a1/2 depending on where u are. Powdercoating looks great, ill have to get a closer look one of these days.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000038

hul kogan wrote: And from thy shadows he comes to rippeth thine buttholes. :lol
MoxHair wrote:You should never throw parts at a car.. You'll dent the exterior.

BlackRT?
2GN Member

Post by BlackRT? » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:02 pm

powder coated parts are my favorite lol... car looks good man get that turbo on there and you'll love to drive it even more
aspturbo.com
98 r/t 1gen 2.4l crane 22s batmowheel 366
e85 because racecar

2000 srt4 35r crane 18s aem ems daily driver

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks everyone, the comments are greatly appreciated!

Turbo will come some day soon, but doing it right the first time make the wait seem more enjoyable.

Steven you should have man, maybe next time.
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

neonslg09
2GN Veteran

Post by neonslg09 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:51 pm

I'll be down in June-ish :)

strykr
2GN Member

Post by strykr » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:57 pm

Just wondering is that turbo and manifold u have from VW/Audi TDIs? B/c if so that would be the same thing i got sitting out on my work bench collecting dust:P
01 Chrysler Neon : MTX Swap | Project Log | Never Gonna Let Go Of My Neon Till She's Driven Into The Ground... Or I Am!
110Km - 6.5l/km 50-60Km - 8l/km

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:19 pm

Steven you know how to reach me then.

And strykr, that turbo and manifold are directly off the SRT-4 neon.
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

hansken_yo
2GN Veteran

Post by hansken_yo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:19 pm

Thats sharp yo... nice Powder work.
| - John || Project Log || Official I'm Going To Drive My Neon Till It Dies Club #000001 |
Everyone knows that for breasts to be "perfect" they need to be within reach.

LionheartedSXT
2GN Member

Post by LionheartedSXT » Sat May 22, 2010 12:10 pm

Update:

Got a good amount of things done in the past week. Installed AGP motor mounts and filled trans mount and re-routed the cruise control, also added a nice PC'd injen fuse cover :)

Sure was a good amount of work and the hardest part is getting the motor/tranny back in alignment to get the bolts back in. But it was fun and definitely a good learning experience. As for the feel, I'm not sure about the crazy vibration people have been talking about for so long but I only get a bit of vibration on takeoff at lower rpms and when the a/c is on, other than that it doesn't feel like anything has changed except the the awesome feel of more of the power going to the ground. I personally recommend it, make sure to align the top mount correctly as well.

Other than that, just waiting on the adapter plate to come from Colt and trying to find a good aftermarket coolant bottle solution so I can get rid of the stocker. Any ideas or recommendations would be solid!
-Chad
- Project Log
- Feedback

Return to “Progress/Project Log”