L.E.D. madness!!! Hvac Pt. 2

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
srtgtr34
2GN Member

L.E.D. madness!!! Hvac Pt. 2

Post by srtgtr34 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:08 pm

I will be converting alot of things in my car to led over the next couple of months.

I started with the interior in which I have ordered everything and I'm just waiting for some time to install.

I have my first order for the exterior in and it consists of just about everylight for the rear of the car but, the lights that blink since I need to track down a 2003 and up relay for it.

2x T25 Wedge Red 3157 SMT Tower 48led ( tail light )

2x 921 Color: Super White Wide Angle SMT 18 Led ( back up )

1x 921 Red Wide Angle Matrix (3rd brake light)

1x T10 Wedge Cool White 194 Matrix (license plate)

Can't wait to get them in the mail and get them installed...
Last edited by srtgtr34 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:36 am, edited 11 times in total.

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:56 pm

You have stock taillights? Are the bulb sizes for the tails/brakes and reverse the same on the 2005's? Shit's going to be bright! I seen a car yesterday that had bright ass taillights and I honestly wasn't sure if he was braking or what, and he wasn't lol.

Pics when you get them installed!!! :thumbup:
Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... :(

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:18 pm

2005.Neon.SXT wrote:You have stock taillights? Are the bulb sizes for the tails/brakes and reverse the same on the 2005's? Shit's going to be bright! I seen a car yesterday that had bright ass taillights and I honestly wasn't sure if he was braking or what, and he wasn't lol.

Pics when you get them installed!!! :thumbup:
I have the altezza's:

If I had anouther style of tail lights I would be able to go for the spider type but in these, there isn't enough room. Yeah all the bulb sizes should be the same for all 2nd gens. I hope that they will be bright, thats what I'm going for.

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:51 pm

The Led's are here:

48 Red led tower for rear tails:

18 super white led for back up lights:

5 led cool white for license plate:

9 led red for 3rd brake:

I will take pics of them before and after, I will have to track down a relay before I install the 48led lights so I don't get ricer flash. I will still test fit them to make sure they work and of course for pics...

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:12 pm

Nice!

Didn't know you had to get a relay for those LEDs, but I think I remember someone saying something about it... or maybe it was that How-To get rid of 'ricer flash'... I can't remember, my memory's fuzzy.
Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... :(

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:12 pm

Awesome. I'm anxious to see if those tail bulbs work properly.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:25 pm

ZeroChad wrote:Awesome. I'm anxious to see if those tail bulbs work properly.
yeah me too.

I read the how to and its a different relay for my neon( So that thread says) so I will have to buy one before I buy anymore led's.
Anyone have a part number or place where the relays can be found?, I really don't have any of those "grab your part" slavage yards near me or even If someone know the official name of the relay it would be greatly appreciated..

contagious18
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by contagious18 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:02 am

i really want to see how da third brake light looks i need one for my clear third brake light
Antagonist crew| Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000031
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2569968
http://contagious209.mybrute.com

Cabbs
2GN Member

Post by Cabbs » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:32 am

I'm really interested in the tails and license light. I saw a Civic Coupe with LED's in the stock housings and it made me want.

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:11 pm

I have the 3rd brake light led installed along with the license plate led. One of the 48 led lights fell into the tail light housing so I have to take it off to get it out. And dam the guy who put these tail lights on the car forced the back up whites into place so we'll see if I can get them all done tomorrow.
Btw the 48 leds are bright as hell! along with the 3rd brake light, video will be up when everything is installed.

Tam
2GN Member

Post by Tam » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:20 pm

I once also planned to do this. So far I have 32 white LEDs in each of my blinkers and 12 LEDS in each of my side markers. I didn't know I needed a relay. What happens if I dont get one?

I thought about buying some for my tail lights so it can shine brighter when I tint them. But I experimented one day and compared the stock bulb and LED in it and they look the same brightness to me so I didn't do it. Is there another way? Was I doing something wrong? Is there supposed to be an HID kit for tails? lol

BTW what is ricer flash?

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:39 pm

So I get everything installed today, well not everything but I was so close.
I got the rear back up lights in and 1 48 led tail light because 1 is not functioning properly and failed in 30mins. (I already e-mailed autolumination about it and well see what they do).

Here are some pics of the tails, the left tail light has the led's in it and right is stock.

Here are some with both sides in the same pic:

And I did get a pic before one of the 48's failed:

The third brake light is alot brighter than stock its just that its not noticeable with the stock housing but I plan on getting a clear housing soon.

I have some pics of the reverse led's:
lit up:

This is a pic of them when they aren't lit up. Now I don't know if you can see how tight the fit was but their is about 1/8 of an inch from the 3led's on the end to the tail light housing, If any one replaces them, they can't be any larger than 52mm long.

And last but not least we have a close up of a 48led tower. These fit perfectly as described and if autolumination had a longer size I would have bought that one because I still have about another inch of clearance.

I also realized from these pics how scratched up these tail lights are maybe one day I'll replace them too because the left one has chipped a little.
Once I get the other led and a new relay I will put a video up.

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:23 pm

Well I sent the "faulty" 48 led tower to autolumination and they said it was fine, eventhough it didn't work on my end. So they are sending me another 48 led tower, hopefully this one will work....

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:31 pm

Can you get a shot, further back at night, of how well these reflect. A shot without editing them for brightness. Everytime I've seen LEDs in taillight housings they don't reflect as they should, so I've steered clear. But from your pictures that doesn't seem to be the case.

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:56 pm

I can try once my other tower arrives. Well with 42 leds facing the sides of the housing, their should be no reason why they won't reflect.

I would say these led lights are 3 times brighter than stock, right now on the side of the car where the led tower is, The car behind me literally gets lit up red.

I cannot wait to get the leds for my front turn signals and running lights.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:46 pm

Anxious to see....I'll check back. Thanks :)

Sykora
2GN Member

Post by Sykora » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:48 pm

awesome! that looks sweet!
-Eric

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:50 pm

The replacement led arrived today but won't be installed until friday. Night pics and video will be made!

Edit: just got an email from vamp, and my red film for the odometer and the blue led for the drefroster is now on its way.

danman132x
2GN Member

Post by danman132x » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:33 pm

Not to threadjack, but I have the 3rd clear tail light and the same tower red LED, and it looks great, both day and night. I only have one pic of the brake light lit up at night, but it is very bright when directly behind it. I think you'll like it when you get the clear thrid light.

2003 Dodge Neon R/T

http://myspace.com/danman132x

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:12 pm

Thanks for the pics danman, for the 3rd brake light they look really nice and bright.

Today I did some ordering of my own and the I have all new lighting coming for the front of the car.

Which includes:

Bi-xenon kit 6k from vvme

From autolumination we have:

2x 48 led front turn signals/ parking lights
Check these lights out they are very interesting they are called switchback.

http://autolumination.com/switchback.html

2x 5led amber lights for side markers
These are basically the same light style as I got for my instrument cluster except these are much brighter.

3x #74 led bulbs for center console until I figure out how to get my other leds wired up for it. they are the super stars and the color is super white.

Tell me what you guys think.

Video will be up tonight with the rear leds on the neon functioning. I will be calling up my local dodge dealer soon to order a 2004 mfs relay to do the mod that nighthawk did to fix the fast flash.

With this order that puts me just a quarter above $360 bucks for exterior and interior lighting.

jetas
2GN Member

Post by jetas » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:26 pm

Fuck thats alot of money on just lighting. looks good tho. Il check back
-J.J. | Official I sold my Neon Member #008
86.5 Nissan Hardbody LB- will be for sale soon...

1989 Yota PU- "Tammy" -Rest In Pieces...

2000 Plym Neon- "Stacy" -Sold 3/25/09 =(
Ntyvirus1 wrote:im debadged so i just drive a gray thing.

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:38 pm

Night pics + video are here:

Hope those help lilsparkplug, this camera doesn't really take good night shots. For example it doesn't pick up the light that reflects off the ground from the license plate led

And here is the link for the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htAcgIeVrjI

as you will hear my car really doesn't like to go in reverse on the first try, when its cold.

My hids should be here by thursday and my leds should be here by saturday (if they actually ship today) which means everything will be installed by next friday with a walk around video displaying all the functions of my lights.
Last edited by srtgtr34 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:19 pm

My stuff from vamp is here and overall I feel ripped off 20+ dollars for a piece of film and a led. I am happy that their is detailed instructions on how to install everything.

So I bought a blue led for the defroster and the red tint for the odometer.

Well here are the pics:

Edit: just got the email form autolumination and my order just shipping. Thank god!

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:09 pm

So I started off the day trying to install my stuff from vamp but that didn't happen because of the following reason's.

In the defroster kit, the led's wires were to short to make a connection on the defroster board (hes got an email)

The red tint for the odometer was horrible I couldn't see it at all during the day and it was so dim at night that I just took it out immediately. I would love to get this to work but I guess it involves completely taking the cluster apart.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:17 pm

I have the blue film from Vamp for my odo display. Yeah, forget reading that during the day. But at night it looks so sweet.

I felt it was worth it, but that's me.

If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:23 pm

It looks dim in that pic too, o well I'll count my losses and move on.

My HID kit just arrived via dhl and its nice!!!

I didn't know that they operate from just one plug from the headlight harness, I thought that they would use both, Well here are the pics:

Since this kit occupies only 1 headlight connector I guess that means its possible that I can buy another kit and run it off the unused connector so that both headlight slots light up.

Since I ordered the wrong bulbs, I won't get this installed till my other order arrives which based on this shipping time should be thursday night. Which would make the install day sunday because I am working all day firday and saturday.

I will see which bulb is more to my liking (4300k or the 6000k) when they arrive. And my autolumination order should be here friday which also means that their will be a new video posted some time next week.

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:13 pm

My two sets of bulbs just came so here are some pics:

I might get around to installing the kit today, we'll see...

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:18 pm

Yeah Vamp knows about the defroster led problem, but he's done nothing to fix it. IMO he's one of the worst vendors to deal with. To fix the problem, you'll have to cut the post down that the led sits on.

Those are the same ballasts I have, they've worked good so far. Good luck on the install.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:27 pm

I got as far as re aiming the headlights since they were aimed up just a little bit. My fingers we freezing and got numb after 30mins so I stoped I am going to get new connectors for my halo/led wires to make taking the headlights out easier. I don't see how the stock H1 bulbs come out of the projectors but when I'm in my garage tomorrow I'll play around with them some more. If I get done with the hid install in a fairly small amount of time I may start putting my 6.5' and 6x9'in speakers in tomorrow. Since my garage in semi-heated I will have all day to install everything. I am hoping to get the leds from autolumination on friday, I am a little mad since I got upgraded shipping and this order has actually taken longer than my last order which was standard shipping.

Tam
2GN Member

Post by Tam » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:48 pm

are you going to take a before and after shot of the stock headlights and the HID? I wanna see.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”