Superdans Log...Swap update

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:24 am

LowNSlow wrote:If it's a light smoke and the vc gasket is good... let it run. It might be from your hands and it's burning the oils and stuff off.
I agree. During an oil change, I spilled some oil and it smoked for a good while before finally burning off.

Car looks good, Dan. Congrats on the swap. :)

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:11 am

LowNSlow wrote:How much smoke?

How long did you let it run?

Check the valve cover gasket... when I changed out my VC on my brand new motor, it was slightly off on the back and it was leaking oil on the heat shield for the turbo mani.

If it's a light smoke and the vc gasket is good... let it run. It might be from your hands and it's burning the oils and stuff off.
Yeah its light smoke. Didnt start smoking until it idled for a little while, which makes the spilled fluid suggestion possible. Its weird though because before it would smoke near the passenger side (figured it was the trans fluid that leaked onto the charge pipe before the seals were replaced.) and had a burning rubber smell. Now its NOT smoking from there but now dead center near the turbo. Kind of hard to explain I guess without some kind of video lol I let it run for a good 5 minutes idling then a few 3k revs (boost gauge was reading like 26 vac then I realized I didnt have the hoses for the catch can hooked up :lol: ) I just replaced the valve cover gasket. I had some oil leak UP around the oil cap and then some on the other side of the valve cover by the breather nipple as well. I even used rtv sealant like the FSM suggests and every thread I found on srtforums said to do the same thing.

Later tonight I will see if I can get a video of the smoke at least. Kind of hard to get a video of the car moving when I dont have anyone to hold the camera lol

Also, would really like to figure out this p0463 code I'm having. Hoping its just a bad connection on the outside of the tank. Its either that or the fuel level sender :/
03' Dodge Neon...SRT-4 swap
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

LowNSlow

Post by LowNSlow » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:49 pm

I would NOT stress the smoke... let it run for a good while. It took a long time for the smoke to clear from mine.
-John

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Yeah I guess thats all I really can do at this point lol Once I figure out what is causing the p0463 code I will let it idle for a while and see if the smoke clears up or gets worse. Hopefully it doesnt get worse *crosses fingers*
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Just a little update. Everything is ready to go with the car. Wednesday I am going to take it to get the exhaust welded up then take it straight to my mechanics to see if he can fix the p0463 code (I dont feel like dropping the tank again lol ). Then all that will be left to do that I want to do at this point is mount and wire up my wideband and install the turbo timer.

This afternoon I decided to take the car out for a spin around the block. Power felt nice although I did push it very hard because I was by myself so it wouldve been a terrible time for something to break :lol: I did however have a little scare as I was getting ready to put the car back into the garage. I pulled up to the door to open it up and before I got out all of sudden I hear this crazy "clanking" noise so my first instinct was to shut the car off. After inspecting around the engine I notice laying under my car a jumbled piece of metal which used to be a worm clamp lol So I continue to look around and see where it came from but all my clamps for my boost pipes were still there :tardbang: Guess I must of left this one sitting on the engine at some point or it fell somewhere in the engine bay and didnt realize it. Started the car back up and no more "clanky" noise lol

Couple questions though:
1.) Do SRT engines get really hot from only just idling/driving for less than 5 minutes? I dont really know much about their characteristics so the engine getting hot as quick as it does always kind of worried/made me wonder if that is normal.

2.) My steering wheel is VERY wobbly. I do know I for sure need an alignment as the suspension was off the car and the passenger side LCA was replaced. Also my steering wheel isnt exactly straight when the wheels are straight. So I guess what I am asking is that, is my steering wheel not mounted all the way? Clock spring? I took a video of the wobbly steering wheel.

Also added a couple stickers that I got from Jason at carlisle finally

Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture/video
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:05 am

Not sure if this affected the neons as well as the SRTs but it definitely affected the SRTs. There was a TSB awhile back for the steering shaft due to play in it. There was an upgraded part that was put in the car to replace the stock one. IIRC it affected 03 and 04 SRTs and was fixed after that. I had it done on my SRT back when I first bought it. I'll see if I can dig up the info for you.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:14 am

Crystal - having felt it, it feels like the wheel itself is loose and dan said yellowpatrol had it off... my guess is he didnt tighten it well enough
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:44 pm

I havent updated this in a while so I thought I would let you guys know what has been up with the car.

Since my last update I got the steering wheel issue fixed turns out I didnt have the nut and bolt tighted down all the way so no more steering wobble! lol If you guys remember my post about my noisy fuel pump and my P0463 code I was having. Got that fixed. Turns out the pump needed primed a lot more from getting air trapped in the lines. Fixed the P0463 code by replacing the fuel level senor. No more codes finally!

The past few nights I have been installing my AEM UEGO wideband. Its not perfect but it will do for now and im happy with it. Also fixed two potential vacuum leaks. One was tard move by me when I swapped the SRT dash in. The vacuum lines that run from the heater core to the HVAC (red and black hoses) I ended up having those plugged in wrong and it was making a whistling noise when the car was on lol Also I assume my PCV valve wasnt completely flush and locked down as there is a huge oil stain on my valve cover in that area so I fixed that and made sure its sitting flush now.

The interior is finally all back together minus the radio and passenger seat. I bought SRT door panels at carlisle so now all im missing is the rear seat and I will have a fulll SRT interior swap lol

Currently the car is in hibernation for the winter in my paps garage. No real big plans for it during the winter just some minor things like cleaning up some of the wiring and what not.

Crappy iphone picture of the interior I took tonight

That is all :hello2:
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:31 am

:rockon:

Parking brake light issue fixed?
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:07 am

No lol havent tackled that just yet
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

NEON PARABOLA
2GN Member

Post by NEON PARABOLA » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:52 pm

effing love your hvac surround in purple, what purple is that!?
-Sean
Official "I'm driving my neon till' it dies #28

BLK 03' NEON SXT 150,000 MILES

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:05 pm

Danteneon wrote::rockon:

did i hear parking brake light issue.. whats its doing... remember i had a problem with mine.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

NeonOn19s
2GN Member

Post by NeonOn19s » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:09 pm

Danteneon wrote::rockon:

How do you fix this.... I swapped the SRT cluster in mine and the parking brake light will not turn off. I was just going to pull the bulb.
| Nathan |

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon til it Dies" Club Member # 72
Semper Fi!!! USMC

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:04 pm

:rofl: I shouldn't have said anything...sorry Dan.

It could just be that the parking brake light switch isn't connected.

And yes, your name did come up in coversation Manny :lol:

slaw
2GN Member

Post by slaw » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:44 pm

I love it, looks great as always dan. One of my favorite 2gns for sure

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:15 pm

NEON PARABOLA- Its called plum crazy from the 06 or 07 charger I believe. Cant remember the paint code. Its the same color purple I had on my old black wheels with the purple stripe. Also used the same purple for my upper dog bone mount, trans mount, cold side boost pipe and radiator brackets.

Manny- The light on the cluster is staying on with the emergency brake disengaged. I texted John about and literally said I remember you had an issue with yours doing the same thing but I couldnt find the thread you made for it lol

NeonOn19s- Ryan sent me this link on how to fix it and for what its worth I would rather just take the bulb out and be done with it. viewtopic.php?t=11254

John- I had my center console out the other night and it is definitely connected. So like I said above I am probably just going to take the bulb out I guess.

Slaw- Thanks bro! Means a lot
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

synviper
2GN Member

Post by synviper » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:52 am

Will it be ready for carlisle 2012? :lol:
ImageImage
Hi my name is Jake and im not smarter than a fifth grader :thumbup:.
Phone Booth Member: 002

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Well I dont want to jinx myself but the way its looking I think it will be there :)
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

Passt
2GN Member

Post by Passt » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:31 pm

Hmmmm, since I got my car back from Bwoody mine has been making a weird, very slight whistling noise as well. I'm wondering if my lines to the heater core / HVAC aren't hooked up properly either. My vac at idle is only about -15. How do you get to them?

Car looks amazing by the way :)

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:03 pm

Take off you HVAC bezel then there are two screws holding on the HVAC controls then you will see a red and black hoses going right to the back on the HVAC controls.

Mine was holding vac 20-22 at idle though so I am not sure if I really helped anything but take away the annoying whistling noise lol Although when I got into boost the gauge would only read about 6-8 :( hopefully fixing that helped though.

Thanks for the compliment Nate! Means a lot
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:28 pm

:cry: :-({|= [-o<
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:51 pm

I am bored and the weather has been pretty crappy here this week so I figured I would update this a little.

As far as I know all boost leaks are now fixed. I have a Bwoody check valve I ordered on its way and other than that not much else is going on with the car. I do still need to order the harness for my HU from crutchfield sometime soon.

Oh, almost forgot! I had to send my digital AEM boost gauge to AEM so they could fix it. One day I started up the car and it just didnt come on. So its off being fixed.

Soon as I get my boost gauge back and everything put back together she will be ready to drive finally! I am shooting for the first weekend of April hopefully.
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Oh and because everyone loves pictures I found a few on my phone I dont think I posted...

Some of you remember the super secret mod I posted about a few months ago? Well here it is....

Fiber Images carbon fiber trunk

Started polishing/cleaning up the wastegate. It had some gunk on it so I took my dremel to it. Obviously its not done yet, I might leave it polished like that or I might just paint it black...havent decided yet.

That is all for now :) Enjoy!
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

NEON PARABOLA
2GN Member

Post by NEON PARABOLA » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:29 pm

FU*K i love your car
-Sean
Official "I'm driving my neon till' it dies #28

BLK 03' NEON SXT 150,000 MILES

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:33 pm

I love my car too...sometimes haha
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Didn't a few people guess the secret package was a CF trunk?

Can't wait to see your car in person. Imma going to do naughty things to it :twisted:

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Haha I dont know probably but eh cats out of the bag now.

Just dont get emotionally attached, she can be a bit of a whore. I suggest you use protection :rofl:
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:24 pm

No real updates on the car other than making sure its running good to make the trip to carlisle. I was lost last year being there without my car so I cant wait for everyone to see the changes it has made in person since carlisle 10'.

Big announcement though! Today, I drove the car to work and back and it drove perfect. Well, beside the fact it needs an alignment...BAD haha Also on monday I will be having my mechanic look it over to make sure everything looks good and sounds good and...smells good? haha

See everyone in 3 weeks!!!!!!
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:29 am

Woot! So glad to hear that it will be at Carlisle :thumbup:

superdan
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by superdan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:54 pm

So on friday I made a trip to ryans in pittsburgh. Longest distance I have drove the car since I finished the swap. The trip there and back was flawless other than the fact I need an alignment and I didnt have a radio installed lol

That brings me to the next day. I go and get into my car saturday morning to go to work and about half way to work I notice my check engine light came on. So I get to work and do the key dance and it gives me the p0551 (power steering pressure sensor). So I dont think anything of it, I can fix that on my day off, no biggie. Then not only that I am now getting whining noise coming from the fuel tank....AGAIN. I had it before when I put the walbro 255 in as I was doing my swap and I had the code for the fuel level sensor. When I fixed that the noise went away. Only now I'm not getting a code for it and its making that noise. I really hope the fuel pump isnt crapping out on me as it only has a little over 300 miles on it. It wasnt and still isnt low on fuel. When it started making that noise again on saturday I had a little less than 1/2 a tank and now I have about 3/4 and its still making that noise.

Any suggestions as to why its making this noise? Dirt in the filter? Wiring issue? Fuel pump going bad? Would I get a code for a failing fuel pump or no?

On top of all of that my boost gauge keeps going dim then really bright at random times. I have the AEM digital 30/30 gauge btw...

Awesome time for all of this to be happening.........

EDIT: I should also mention that I am still using the SXT FPR that has about 80k miles on it. Could that be causing the noise?
04' Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4

Return to “Progress/Project Log”