03sxr/t - SRT swapped 2003 R/T... back to the body!

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:46 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:For those of us not on FB, thanks for posting that info here.
Gramps and that new fangled social media. :lol:

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:19 am

What can I say? :dontknow:
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

redneckmoparman
2GN Member

Post by redneckmoparman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:25 pm

gotcha i missed the tiny blurb about the front bumper and with no pictures lol and fb is so easy to miss cause it bumps so quickly
ImageJason AKA Bootz

"You sound confused, you start with "I have this what can I do?" and then wander off into turbo land."

03sxr/t
2GN Member

Post by 03sxr/t » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:10 pm

Pulled the front bumper and hood off tonight. Stripping off the vinyl wrap on the hood and prepping both out. Spraying both on Sunday. Cant wait for my car to be 1 color again :rockon:

Also got the wheels all painted and hung on the car. The wheels had 2 burnt off tires and 2 nearly new GT Radial Champiro 328's so I bought 2 more new. Price was right at $90/tire

Sorry for such a dirty pic. This was a few weeks ago, haven't driven it much lately as we got 3 ft of snow between then and now.

2003 SX2.0 R/T
SRT Swapped
Lambo "Giallo Midas Mica" (L0G1)

Jean-Seb
2GN Member

Post by Jean-Seb » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:15 pm

Looks great man. I like the wheels and the stance. It'll definitely look more complete when painted. :D

03sxr/t
2GN Member

Post by 03sxr/t » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:57 pm

Well now I can check one more thing off the never ending list.....

I tore the car apart last Friday night and started to prep out the hood and front bumper. I also touched up the crash par and rad support ( I dont have the foam to sit between bumper and crash bar)

I also sprayed the middle of the bumper while I was at it

On Sunday I took the parts over to a local body shop and tried to remember how to paint. Its been years since Ive sprayed. Ran into a few issues...

#1 - Shop had 2 paint lines, 1 solvent, 1 water. I wanted to use water as that is what I sprayed it in before, unfortunately that line didn't have lambo colors, so I had to use solvent based.

#2 - Solvent line listed it as a tri-coat. When I originally sprayed the car, it was a yellow sealer with a base coat with the pearl in it then clear.

#3 - One of the tinters required (orange) had the lid broken and was almost dried up. I had to try and mix it in best I could. I even took some out, reduced it a bit and tried to mix it in. I just couldn't get the color 100% and it shows now. Its close, but not perfect. Not bad considering I had to wing it and try and mix by sight and the seat of my pants

#4 - I was in and out of the booth too much, I got the hood very dirty so I hammered it with clear so I would have enough to work with later when I wet sand and polish. I ran it off the bulge on the drivers side. Its going to be a bitch to get out. Lucky for me, yellow kind of hides it

Today I picked up the parts, put everything back on and enjoyed a little ride around town with my 2 boys. Its great to have it back to 1 color again! I also went back to my R/T rear bumper with Mopar Lip. I need to section my exhaust now, like I had previously when I first owned the car.

Now with having the car apart, I noticed that my tail light seals are leaking so thats on the list now. OH and yes, fender liners are on my list too!

2003 SX2.0 R/T
SRT Swapped
Lambo "Giallo Midas Mica" (L0G1)

ragek23
2GN Member

Post by ragek23 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:59 pm

looks really good!

FYI rockauto carries our fender liners.

2002 Neon SXT Sold
2006 EVO MR Weekend Warrior
2003 SRT 4 DD
-Kevin

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:39 pm

Very nice, the car looks so much better with matching bumpers.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”