95 NYG ACR - Broken

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Tue May 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Fuzzyneon wrote:
quicksilvr wrote:
INVUJerry wrote:Just thought of something. This car is still heavier than my 98 was. It has a full size rad, and full interior too. I wanna gut it, put the racing seat in it, put the slicks on it, I'm sure it'll do better.
The ever-elusive quest for those precious 10th's..... :lol:
i love gutted cars every last 1/100th of a second counts :-p

Gutted cars don't always win races though, remember? :lol:
05 OB SRT-4 - AGP Stg 3 Delta 44 Turbo w/ Supporting mods
98 Platinum Coupe - 2.4 Swap
98 Flame Red Sedan - DD Slow
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat May 28, 2011 9:29 pm

Some updates:
Got my new exhaust
Same basics from my 98. Obx long tube, thermal rear section. Added in a vibrant resonator off the header to look like a cat since I only have to do tail pipe emissions from now on. Getting a free Wideband tonight. Getting 295cc injectors this week for cheap so I'll run e85.

Also got this tonight for free:

Its an older megasquirt. Don't know if I'll have it installed by Carlisle. Probably not. I was told last time I saw it that it wasn't sure if it worked. But then my buddy told me he had driven the car a little bit so it does work. Might send it somewhere to get updated but we'll see.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:13 pm

Bad news first:
Stupid mopar ECU is only revving to 7100 rpm's. Not sure what the issue is, if it's the PCM or what, but I'm not going to look into it that much.

Good news:
So I talked to Symtechlabs, and looked at their website. Upgrading from a MS1 to MS2 chip, configuring it for the neon motor and so you can use neon sensors, getting a serial-usb adapter cable, and the 12' wiring harness is goign to run me about $270, which I am more than happy with. I'll be running fuel only at first, and eventually go to full control, but let the neon ECU handle the stupid stuff.

After looking at the "Shoot 'Em Up!" thread over on neons.org, I feel like my intake manifold is now lacking for my setup. I have a stock magnum intake manifold sitting on the motor for my 96. I might yank it off and throw it onto this car's motor to see how she acts. I'll have to get a 2gn starter, and that's more money. Who knows, I might not end up doing anything and saving the $8-900 for ITB's.

Oh, and a buddy of mine gave me a Summit brand wideband o2 kit. It's a re-badged innovate system.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:41 pm

One of the rear brake lines popped. The metal line, not the soft one. I'm going to get to replacing them tomorrow, I got pre-bent lines from a dealer ship, but it was a good drive there. Wish me luck, come help if you can.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:04 pm

Well, I seem to be a liar. I jacked the car up and haven't touched it since. Car will not be making it to carlisle. Gonna put the front up on jack stands and leave it there.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:28 pm

Bright the car to my new house yesterday. Gonna jack it up ad drop the tank out. I did pick up my old nyg from Tina. It has some new parts on it that I'm going to put on my Nyg.

Parts include:
Ksport coils
New brake rotors and hawk pads
Non rusted gas tank, tank straps, and filler tube
7 spokes with flat spotted Falken Azenis tires

Eventually I'll fix the ugly nyg into a driver, but for now the focus is on mine. I'm going to be installing the megasquirt and hopefully doing full standalone.

Pics from last night:

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:37 pm

TWINNING!
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:51 am

you've got a lot of work ahead of you on tina's car, best of luck, i know its in good hands :thumbup:
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 am

I think when my step daughter starts driving it'll be ready for her. She turns 12 next month lol.

I need someone to come help me with the car. Im just not motivated lol.

Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:12 pm

damn son. Yeah brake lines are a bitch. By non-rusted gas tank, do you mean a metal one? I hope you're using plastic.

I'm half tempted to redo the brake lines on my 99. Everything on the back half is rusted to shit, only a matter of time before stuff starts breaking. (no pun intended)
ImageImage
:mopar: :runaway:

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:44 pm

I want to go to a platic tank but I don't have the money to upgrade right now. I might just yank the tank off the car I picked up to out on my car.

When I bought the car, I thought the same thing, I should do it before they break. Well, they broke.

Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:37 am

INVUJerry wrote:I want to go to a platic tank but I don't have the money to upgrade right now. I might just yank the tank off the car I picked up to out on my car.

When I bought the car, I thought the same thing, I should do it before they break. Well, they broke.
Yeah well maybe you outta fix it. \:D/
ImageImage
:mopar: :runaway:

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:48 am

INVUJerry wrote:I think when my step daughter starts driving it'll be ready for her. She turns 12 next month lol.

I need someone to come help me with the car. Im just not motivated lol.

ill be there at the end of the month and mabe sometime in december we can swap a trans?

but seriously gonna come down end of the month i hope lol
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Fuzzy, I was thinking February this time so we can be sure we have snow to keep us warm.

Did some Work to the cars today. Dropped the tank out of the high comp nyg, and took a good look underneath. Realized my tank straps were total poop so I'd take the ones off the car I got from Tina. I put the straps on that car in 2007, and they were from Arizona so I knew they'd have to be in good shape.

Get under Tinas car and see that they put a plastic tank in place. Well, a plastic tank is bigger than a metal one.

This is how it was attached:

Also, on a plastic tank fuel pump they're is no return from the accumulator. This was how it was plugged, and it was leaking.

Moving on, I have a funny story that was terrifying at the time.

Well, I drop the tank out if the parts Nyg and it has probably 3 gallons of gas in it. I have my wife helping me making sure I don't dump it all on the ground as I pour it into the gas container. Very calmly, I hear Christy say "Jerry, put the tank down." I ask why and then look to my hand as I was setting the tank down.

It was the largest spider I had ever seen. It was 3 inches from my hand. I'm terrified of spiders. It had been hiding on the top side of the gas tank against the car. Needles to say; I screamed. I sounded like a woman. It was a scream of raw emotion. Luckily, I was wearing work gloves. I slap-chopped the spider of the tank, then curb stomped the shit out of it. Then I screamed Jesus really loud. Funny, since I'm not religious.

Pic of the dead spider:

And here's a comparison pic. On the left is my 1995 straps from my acr that lived in PA and NJ all it's life. On the right are 1995 AZ straps:

wheels04sxt
2GN Member

Post by wheels04sxt » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:39 am

hahahha dude i fell outta my chair rofl'n when i read the spider story :laughing3: i too, hate spiders.

looking good though and you gotta love them rust free AZ car parts :thumbup: lol
-nick

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Hahaha, thanks dude. I'm going to buy one of those 1 man bleeding kits tomorrow from HF, bleed the brakes, then reinstall the gas tank and hopefully drive the car around some. Next in line is going to be installing the coilovers from the parts car, and the brakes (disks and pads), then the megasquirt install.

NEON PARABOLA
2GN Member

Post by NEON PARABOLA » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:29 am

wow....rusty as f**k. we have spiders that big here where I work....Freek me the hell out
-Sean
Official "I'm driving my neon till' it dies #28

BLK 03' NEON SXT 150,000 MILES

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:51 pm

nj has some quality low rust cars..................................................................................................................................................................

i still remember that fucking thing blow the timing belt while i waited for you
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:54 pm

I drove it tonight! Right now it's running on a stock dohc ecu. It went pretty good, next things to buy are a new sensor for my wideband, and a tuner studio license so I can run autotune, and I'll be seeing 8800 rpms.

Woot!

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:42 pm

Finally got around to selling the block that had the blown headgasket. Then I'm driving to PA to pick up my new to me mopar dohc ecu.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:47 pm

pics or it didn't happen, jurry!

whenever someone refers to Autotune all I can think of is....

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:22 pm

You know what didn't happen? Pics of v95's "Evo" from his sig.

LowNSlow

Post by LowNSlow » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:29 pm

anyone else laugh at how ghetto the car was?

man tina sure took care of that car :P
-John

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:35 pm

I really regretted buying it back after I brought it home. We'll see what happens, it's in way worse shape than I remember. I'm going to have to re-do the brake lines that were re-done since they have splices in them that I don't feel comfortable with.

Drove the car again tonight after I put the Mopar DOHC ecu in. It's better, a lot better. Unfortunately as soon as I shift, the car bogs, and then comes back to life, but it does feel a lot better going into 3rd gear.

Now you may be saying to youself, Jerry, you have a megasquirt sitting in a box, waiting. Why aren't you putting this in and getting to going fast already?

Well, my neon brethren, there's a few reasons. First reason is, I got a great deal on the ECU. The 2nd reason, wiring in the MS will take me a while to do, and then figure out, get tuning, etc. I just want to drive the car as it is for now. I was going to stay with the stock DOHC ecu I've been running. Third reason is in this thread RIGHT HERE. I'm sort of hedging my bets that come spring time, I'll be able to get a tuneable ECU that is plug and play. Even if I only get an 8100 RPM limiter out of it, I'm fine with that, although 9K would be better.

Also noticed tonight that my alternator may be having issues. I'll probably figure out how to retrofit a new style alt in since I have a near new one that I've been trying to sell on here for a while.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:47 pm

Wow how things have changed.

Well, money's tight. I sold my MS unit, I sold my intake manifold off of it. I'm working on selling my SRT, and this is going to be my daily as soon as it's sold. I looked into the spark timing, and it'll run on 93 with a stock DOHC computer, just not as fast as with race gas mixed in with the mopar ECU. I also looked at dyno graphs from sick95sohc on neons.org. Apparently I'll pick up power from 3500-6500, with the most power being at 4500 with 20HP. Yes, the stock intake manifold over a box intake, so I'm cool with that for now.

Currently someone on neons.org is very close to cracking the 95 ECU to make it re-programmable. Spark, fuel trims, all the good stuff, so I'm waiting on that, but all out performance is on the back burner for now.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:19 pm

For the past few weeks the car's been making a strange noise. It sounds like a tink tink tink when it was at idle. When running it would make the same noise just very loud. I thought it was the tensioner that was on the car, as it's been getting progressively worse. I have an old hydraulic tensioner on my old NYG so I decided to swap it over. Also, the crank pulley has wobbled since I bought the motor in 09 for my 98. I thought the crank pulley was heated and the rubber melted some, so I was going to replace it.

Anyway, today I go to swap the old tensioner in. I get as far as pulling the crank pulley off and this is what I found:

Someone cracked the crank snout, and then epoxied it together and rammed the crank pulley home. Assholes.

I'm parting the motor and selling it to Ben as of right now. Saturday I had picked up a magnum head, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold. Probably going to sell the intake mani, exhaust mani, get the head milled, and get a crane 007, put it on another sohc block I have and call it done, just enjoy the car. I've got 5 months to do this.

This is the rest of my night:

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:30 pm

Mother F#*kers!! Sorry to see that man its a beautiful NYG. I hope the sales from this motor help you fund the new build. We all know you can do it brother! Enjoy the brew and tomorrows a new day :thumbup:
MY PROJECT LOG My Old 2002 ES AND My 2003 SXT

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:36 pm

I think the new plan is .040" milled mag head, crane 007, and maybe the mag intake.

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:45 pm

Do it man! drive your neon till it dies, then rebuild it and drive it again :rockon:
MY PROJECT LOG My Old 2002 ES AND My 2003 SXT

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

Public Disturbance
2GN Member

Post by Public Disturbance » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:47 pm

Ok for some reason Im a little confused as exactly what happened

Return to “Progress/Project Log”