95 NYG ACR - Broken

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:53 pm

INVUJerry wrote:For the past few weeks the car's been making a strange noise. It sounds like a tink tink tink when it was at idle. When running it would make the same noise just very loud. I thought it was the tensioner that was on the car, as it's been getting progressively worse. I have an old hydraulic tensioner on my old NYG so I decided to swap it over. Also, the crank pulley has wobbled since I bought the motor in 09 for my 98. I thought the crank pulley was heated and the rubber melted some, so I was going to replace it.

Anyway, today I go to swap the old tensioner in. I get as far as pulling the crank pulley off and this is what I found:

Someone cracked the crank snout, and then epoxied it together and rammed the crank pulley home. Assholes.

I'm parting the motor and selling it to Ben as of right now. Saturday I had picked up a magnum head, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold. Probably going to sell the intake mani, exhaust mani, get the head milled, and get a crane 007, put it on another sohc block I have and call it done, just enjoy the car. I've got 5 months to do this.
:beatstick:
MY PROJECT LOG My Old 2002 ES AND My 2003 SXT

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:14 am

Public Disturbance wrote:Ok for some reason Im a little confused as exactly what happened
I'm not the first owner of the engine, I'm like the 3rd or 4th. Someone cracked the crank snout, and then epoxied it together and rammed the crank pulley back on. This wasn't an accident either someone did this knowing they were doing it wrong.

Public Disturbance
2GN Member

Post by Public Disturbance » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:57 am

@D-Railed.... Hey now IDK why I keep going back and I was like Im not sure if I understand how these pictures go with these texts we are all allowed some slow days now lol

@INVUJerry.... Its amazing how someones ignorance can affect you down the road isnt it

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:05 am

@PD lol it happens to the best of us.

@Jerry good luck man. The next one will be faster :rockon:

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

Public Disturbance
2GN Member

Post by Public Disturbance » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:22 am

I vote RWD with 6.1 Hemi Supercharged!!!!!

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Sorry to see that Jerry. I would be livid :cussing:
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:32 pm

Next one will run better but not really be faster. Just plan on doing a dohc block, .020" off the mag head and a crane 007 cam.

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:37 pm

Well sir. Next paycheck I can afford a small amount of parts. Please let us know what you will be selling off this one so we can help you fund your next one.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Well, I'm selling all the built parts to 1972 demon as it is, the whole head, and the rods and pistons. I do have a magnum intake and exhaust manifold I'm looking to sell.

Just pulled the motor and trans out of the parts car NYG. Going to put the stock motor into this car so that I can drive the car come spring, since I'm still trying to sell my SRT. Plan is if the bottom end is decent, no leak down, no bend rods like my other motor, I'm going to get my magnum head rebuilt and put a crane 007 into it and drop that into this car. It wont make huge power but it'll be a good to drive car, and still get decent gas mileage.

And I'll probably put nitrous on it too.

Fuzzyneon
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Fuzzyneon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:40 pm

INVUJerry wrote:Well, I'm selling all the built parts to 1972 demon as it is, the whole head, and the rods and pistons. I do have a magnum intake and exhaust manifold I'm looking to sell.

Just pulled the motor and trans out of the parts car NYG. Going to put the stock motor into this car so that I can drive the car come spring, since I'm still trying to sell my SRT. Plan is if the bottom end is decent, no leak down, no bend rods like my other motor, I'm going to get my magnum head rebuilt and put a crane 007 into it and drop that into this car. It wont make huge power but it'll be a good to drive car, and still get decent gas mileage.

only if i get a ride in it
Member of Spork Racing
2002 Dodge Neon
Frankenstien

Haganracing
2GN Member

Post by Haganracing » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:16 pm

Fuzzyneon wrote:
INVUJerry wrote:Well, I'm selling all the built parts to 1972 demon as it is, the whole head, and the rods and pistons. I do have a magnum intake and exhaust manifold I'm looking to sell.

only if i get a ride in it
Giggity.
occasional demons wrote:So maybe a FuzzyDanteHagan sammich might just beat a FuzzyHagan. :-k
Danteneon wrote:My advice is to fight those urges and enjoy the fact that you have both X and Y chromosomes. And an SRT. And your hand. You don't need a girl.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:01 pm

Did quite a bit of work this weekend. Using rope to pull my motor finally got me on Friday, and I dropped the built motor I was pulling from my NYG. Somehow the motor got bound up and the rope snapped. No big damage to anything though, pics of the damage on the last picture. So if the motor I just put in turns out to be halfway decent in a few months I'll put the mag head I have on it, and hopefully have a somewhat dope cam. If not, I'll build something on the side for the car.

The start of Friday:

A few hour interlude:

A few hours more:

How the parts car looks currently:

And how my engine bay looks, I might keep the valve cover ONLY for the LOLZ.

And the victims of the fall:

The caster on my hoist now has some camber, and I bent the FMM bracket that I had, oh well, not like I don't have 4 more of them.

So the car as it sits, will have a bone stock 95 motor with a new timing belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner pulley (hydraulic), my OBX long tube, will have an iceman intake, DOHC mopar ECU, and a 3.55/.72 trans. It should get wicked awesome gas mileage like this though, like fuck a hybrid good.

Gotta get my keys from my work van tomorrow, hopefully I'll have it fired up tomorrow afternoon.

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:30 pm

WOOOOT!!! Congrats man. from the ashes another beast will rise. :rockon:

ianguilly
2GN Member

Post by ianguilly » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:18 am

INVUJerry wrote:
And how my engine bay looks, I might keep the valve cover ONLY for the LOLZ.
Sure you are :roll:
-Neon #3 1999 Neon R/T coupe,DOHC MTX
-Neon #4 1998 Neon Alpine green coupe SOHC MTX -daily shit box

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member #110

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:00 pm

So it's running again. Currently is like this:

95 SOHC motor with 140K on it
3.55 trans that's leaking fluid
Iceman intake
OBX header
2.5" exhaust to a thermal muffler

It's got a stock clutch in it right now, and it feels nice. The 3.55 trans the speedo gear must have fell off the diff, since the speedo isn't reading. What I forgot was 4 years ago when I owned the other NYG that the speedo didn't work. Oh well, it'll work. This week I'm going to try to get my coilovers put on the car and get an alignment done. Next weekend I'll swap the 3.94 that was in the car back into it. I only wanted to use the 3.55 for gas mileage but I like knowing how fast I'm going.

I'll have some pics and vids tomorrow.

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:36 pm

Nice man. Congrats on having her back to life :thumbup:

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:21 pm

Thanks dude!

Just got done a trip, drove it to Shrewsberry to give the new owner of my SRT the title and back home. Cruising at 75-80 most of the time with a little city in the middle no issues other than the speedo reading 0 the whole time.

I did go and fail emissions the other day. Might be because I currently don't have a cat on the car. Rather than put a cat in this exhaust I'm going to take the exhaust from the parts car and put a cat on it and have it match up to my header. Fart can FTW!

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:15 pm

you know, it may be me just noobin out here but, I thought the acr's were all DOHC? Is it just the 95s that were SOHC? Either way man it looks freaking sweet. Congrats again bro

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:42 pm

D-Railed_Neon wrote:you know, it may be me just noobin out here but, I thought the acr's were all DOHC? Is it just the 95s that were SOHC? Either way man it looks freaking sweet. Congrats again bro
IIRC ... ACR coupes were DOHC, but ACR sedans were SOHC ... but I can't remember why :?
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:49 pm

I don't remember why, but that's how they all were lol.

Got spotted leaving work yesterday:

Getting a 3.94/.72 here in a few weeks. As soon as my old top end sells I'll be ordering a crane 16. Might have a dohc 10.5:1 block soon so it'll be almost 11:1 with my magnum head. Probably won't put that in til the fall just so I can enjoy driving the car around lol.

May be selling the 7-spokes withthe Falken Azenis tires, don't need them just for a daily. Would love a set of slipstream wheels but money is tight for now.

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:25 pm

wierd. Oh well. Id love to have a 3.94 Tell my Jerry, is it everything I dreamed of in comparison to the 3.55?

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:20 pm

I mean it's better but you're not going to go from a stock neon to omg race car. It's worth a tenth or two in the 1/4, and it sort of sucks on the highway. If you were to autocross it would help more but if you just drive the car on the street it's not a huge bump. I like to drag race so that's why I want another one. Although if this 3.55 wasn't a problem I'd leave it in until I broke it.

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:13 am

Lol no racecar omglulzftw! Expectations on my end but, you did hit the nail on the head as I do plan to build for autocross. Drag is not realistic as it is a DD but a advantage at the course would be worth my while. I planed on essentially a r/t full swap with a crane 10 (I like my low end power, thank you. Lol) so I was curious to your opinion. Thank you sir :thumbup:

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:51 am

I'd go with a crane 12 or comp 400 if you're doing all that. From what I understand a crane 10 is almost the same as a magnum cam.

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:41 pm

well I don't want to thread jack here but do you have experience with a 2gn and 12? How does the stock ecu feel about that more aggressive cam profile?

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:42 pm

Lots of people run a stock ecu and the crane 12 and comp 200's and 400's. The 400 would give the biggest gains though.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:18 pm

Got the K-sport coilovers from the parts car installed. The fronts are seized now at the height they are (I raised them up some). Could still use adjusting but I got it aligned and left it for now.

The reason I wanted to raise them up is because of how steep my driveway is.

It rides WAY better than the blown struts and lowering springs.

BTW I just noticed my creep in the 2nd picture.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Found this in the car today!

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:08 am

Oooo, child infestation. That is going to be hard to treat man. Make sure you get them all or your car will smell like sour milk forever :shock:
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:37 am

Yeah I know, I'm very careful about the miak smell.

Here's a pic after I raised the rears a little.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”