PerfctSouljah- Lola's Log- Fiberglass Updated!

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
Perfctsouljah
2GN Member

PerfctSouljah- Lola's Log- Fiberglass Updated!

Post by Perfctsouljah » Sun May 09, 2010 10:19 pm

I purchased this car in 2004 with 50k miles when I still had my mazda mx-6. Over time I have spent alot of time in this car and truely enjoy it. I have only done stereo work until last year. I am currently a trim/upholstery technician and minor with engine management systems and automatic transmissions.

Here is a list of my current modifications:
Eibach Pro-kit with Tokico Blues
Konig Daylite 17x7 wheels
Bwoody Solid Motor Mounts
Checkers/O-Rielly's DIY SRI
Magnaflow single exit, axle back exhaust
Oil Pan drilled and tapped for 3/8th Oil return line
Battery Relocated to the Trunk.

Interior Mods:
Alpine Head Unit
(4) 6 1/2" Polk DB Components with individual crossovers
(2) 10' Polk DB Subwoofer
Kenwood 350 2 Channel Amplifier
FTW custom door inserts
Momo Carbon Fiber Shift knob
Mopar STS shortened 1" with Maddog STS Rod-Brake installed
Recovered Package Tray.

Mods in Progress:
Hand made seat covers to match the wheels and paint.
Entire trunk lined with matched suede and custom box w/ matching trim pieces.
Headliner recovered in matching suede.
SRT-4 Turbo in progress
Roll Cage

And the list goes on an on. Here are some pictures of my car when I started modifications in Jan of 09, and the set will finish with current in progress modifications.

Here she is just after I lowered her.

Engine Bay Shot

Covered Package Tray and polks

Subwoofers

This is how she looks today

Shot before battery relocation and Bwoody Mounts Installed

Picture of my current FTW Door Inserts

And this is a picture of my current seat cover project that I have going. These are photo's of the rear seat finished.

The Back Seat Cusion:

The Backrest Completed, Missing Doors

Finally the Back Seat has been COMPLETED! Hooray! A seat cover that fits better than the factory cover.

Well this is all I have so far. More Updates are soon to come.
-Matt
Last edited by Perfctsouljah on Sun May 16, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perfctsouljah's Progress Log
Important People... wrote:
Get 50% more Perfctsouljah Free!
Now Available online at 2gn.org

DOSneons
2GN Member

Post by DOSneons » Sun May 09, 2010 10:22 pm

damn man the interior looks great

Tam
2GN Member

Post by Tam » Sun May 09, 2010 10:34 pm

I usually don't like aftermarket seats, but yours were done nicely. I like.

glasswars
2GN Veteran

Post by glasswars » Sun May 09, 2010 10:49 pm

Very impressive.
thisishalcyon.com
@halcyonphoto

j-king
2GN Member

Post by j-king » Mon May 10, 2010 4:35 am

nice

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon May 10, 2010 5:18 am

I'm liking the center console lid....

smiley
2GN Member

Post by smiley » Mon May 10, 2010 12:32 pm

looks good so far

im very interested in seeing where this goes

NeonOn19s
2GN Member

Post by NeonOn19s » Mon May 10, 2010 12:56 pm

looking good man. YOu do anything ins black leather and suede???

hmmm...

Where at in Wyoming are you located at??
| Nathan |

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon til it Dies" Club Member # 72
Semper Fi!!! USMC

Perfctsouljah
2GN Member

Post by Perfctsouljah » Mon May 10, 2010 7:40 pm

NeonOn19s wrote:looking good man. YOu do anything ins black leather and suede???

hmmm...

Where at in Wyoming are you located at??
Thanks alot. I can recover almost anything in a car with suede, and anything on your seats with leather. The only problem is price, 1 sq. foot of leather costs about 13$ where as an entire hide may cost you anywhere from 350$-600 dollars. An entire hide can be 40-60 sq. ft. which calculates around 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 yards of material. Vinyl is a great alternative, plus leather seats are about 40 % vinyl anyways. I am in Laramie, send me a pm if you have any questions about your seats.
j-king wrote: nice
Thanks. Whatever happened to that meet dude? lol

BRR, Glasswars, Tam, and DOS thanks.

The center console is soon going to change to match the interior. I have not yet decided what type of material I am going to use. I would love to use suede, but you tend to end up a little dirty at the end of the day when you work on cars and anything on your elbow will soon become a permanent addition to the color of your suede. Scotch Guard might save it, but honestly I wouldn't want to risk any matting of the microfibers. I think that the black vinyl used on the seats would be a more suitable choice, however it will be much harder getting the vinyl to conform to this curvy shape.

It is getting very close to the point in time when I start work on the trunk and working on the box design including lighting and some type of decorative logo embedding. Over the next six weeks I have an incredible ammount of work to complete on this car, and a local car show to attend in the middle of all of this(Mid project, I know it sounds :tardbang: , I said screw it though). I am confident that I will have the armrest completed tomorrow, then I will move on to the headrests and eventually the front seats.

More updates soon to come.

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon May 10, 2010 8:07 pm

you coming to Carlisle?

Perfctsouljah
2GN Member

Post by Perfctsouljah » Mon May 10, 2010 9:49 pm

I dont think that I will be coming to Carlisle this year due the long drive and simply the number of projects I have going on at the current moment. I am in the process of restoring the interior of my 85 Bronco and as soon as it's finished I have an 82 Fairmont to restore the interior and some body work on all of this while trying to work on Lola :rofl:.

measy27
2GN Member

Post by measy27 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:08 pm

Looks good. Love the rims and the seats..
'06 Nissan Murano S AWD

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Tue May 11, 2010 12:08 pm

Woo hoo yellow! Looks good! My only question is why you didn't match the CF in the center of the mid portion of the back seats with the headrest portion. It's uneven. Seen in this shot here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/ ... G_0505.jpg

I do love how you did the yellow though. Very much.

Perfctsouljah
2GN Member

Post by Perfctsouljah » Tue May 11, 2010 6:42 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:Woo hoo yellow! Looks good! My only question is why you didn't match the CF in the center of the mid portion of the back seats with the headrest portion. It's uneven. Seen in this shot here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/ ... G_0505.jpg

I do love how you did the yellow though. Very much.
Thank you very much. I used the stock seat pattern to create my pattern. Unfortunately I have to do some foam reconstruction to create a new place for the divot to hold that yellow/black seam. To be honest I am unhappy with the doors on the backrest period. I want to do a horizontal tuck and roll on all of the inserts with suede after I get some new front seats, I think that would look sick.

Long story short the seat doors have to be fixed within the next 5 1/2 weeks. I appreciate you taking the time to thoroughly look at my work, I welcome all the feedback I can get.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Tue May 11, 2010 9:57 pm

I guess I never really noticed that the factory seats were uneven like that, it's probably because of the sharp contrast in color that it stands out so much. I wish I could have gotten the pleated look you have with the yellow in my seats, but it wasn't offered (my kit is from Roadwire black leather and black alcantara). Again very very nice work, looking forward to seeing what you do to "fix" it in the up coming weeks.

Oh, and this is just my .02 but I would paint the front chrome grille surrounds to match, it totally changes the look of the car for the better. I did it to my SY SXT and love the difference it made.

Perfctsouljah
2GN Member

Post by Perfctsouljah » Wed May 12, 2010 12:13 am

I agree. I think that your grill looks really clean and it helps to tone down the "smile" that our front bumpers have. I have been thinking about investing in a set of your headlights too, they keep the factory feel with an after-market touch. However I am trying to get all of these srt turbo pieces put together before the end of the year. I about 2/3 of the kit and still need megasquirt, injectors, IC & piping, vac. block, misc gauges, adapter plate, new air filter, blah blah blah blah blah, and the list goes on.lol

Perfctsouljah
2GN Member

Post by Perfctsouljah » Fri May 14, 2010 11:44 pm

Ok, so I spent most of yesterday afternoon and this morning deciding on a location to store the battery in the trunk and masking off for a complete fiberglass mold of the back half of the trunk. This will house the battery, amps, and the 2 10 inch subs. I will try to get pictures of the madness tomorrow to give you some idea of whats going on. After lunch today I was able to lay all of the fiberglass and am leaving it to cure overnight. Tomorrow I will start installing the structure of the box.

Thats all for now folks.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat May 15, 2010 4:07 pm

I have an IC, a factory SRT one, if you want it. It's painted black with Eastwood radiator paint on the front only (not the back) :) I'm not halting my retrofits anytime soon so whenever you're ready, I'll be here.

Perfctsouljah
2GN Member

Post by Perfctsouljah » Sun May 16, 2010 1:04 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:I have an IC, a factory SRT one, if you want it. It's painted black with Eastwood radiator paint on the front only (not the back) :) I'm not halting my retrofits anytime soon so whenever you're ready, I'll be here.
Absolutley, I will send you a PM about the IC and headlights.

Update Time!

Well most all of the fiberglassing went very well, however I ran out of bondo FG and had to run out and purchase the cheap USC (same company different quality) fiberglass resin that did not cure correctly :banghead: . If at all possible avoid using USC branded products, any of their other brands such as bondo work just fine.

I didn't have enough time to grab photo's while I was masking off items but I do have some photo's that will give you a good sense of what is happening after I have pulled the FG mold from my trunk. Next starts the skeleton framework of the system along with the battery box drop in.

Yesterday we relocated the muffler to the driver side and mounted it vertically (slanted kinda) to get it out of the way of the battery box.

The FG molds have a signle reinforced bottom laying out at 1/8'' thick and the side walls hold firm at 1/16".

Photo Time!

When Working with fiberglass (or any other dangerous chems.) please remember to use proper personal protection equipment such as gloves, safety glasses, charcoal resperators, and if your in a profesional environment always make sure to stick to OSHA regulations!

Now for the muffler relocation. Removing the turn down from the rear of the muffler really changed how you hear the exhaust.

This is the trunk in shambles!

smiley
2GN Member

Post by smiley » Sun May 16, 2010 3:44 pm

nice dude

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Mon May 17, 2010 1:06 pm

No pre-filters on that mask? I have the same one lol the pre-filters invariably always end up strange colors from everything I paint. Nice work so far :)

lilnicko11
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by lilnicko11 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:12 am

ur car looks good. keep it going
2002 NEON ACR
2004 NEON SRT4
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club Member #50

LINK:
CARLISLE 2010 VIDEOS

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:17 am

looks good, where do you get the "good" fiberglass resin from usually?
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

Perfctsouljah
2GN Member

Post by Perfctsouljah » Fri May 21, 2010 6:03 pm

Wal-Mart of course! :beatstick:

Return to “Progress/Project Log”