Midnight_Rider's progress log

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:12 am

Before removal of stock air box.
Stock box out.
My mechanic trying to get the lower tube to fit where the instructions said it should.
The mounting bracket for lower tube was too long. He said that he had never seen a Mopar CAI that had a bracket like this one (just my luck).
The mechanic cut the braket in an attempt to make it fit but that didn't help. We ended up not using the rubber mount that attaches to the fender and left the lower tube loose since the braket was so out of whack. The rubber edge trim around the hole in the fender was tricky; after my accident last year, the body shop didn't leave the hole for the lower tube completely round. :banghead: We also couldn't use the neoprene rubber adhesive strip that goes on the lower tube due to the tight clearence.
Trial position of air filter.
Finished position.
Lower tube appears in engine compartment.
Finished install.
I have another dilemma. My mechanic said that, in his opinion, I probably have another 35K before I need to replace my brakes. Here is the front driver's side:
He said that the front brakes are in better shape than the rear ones :shock: and that I must be using my brakes sparingly. Anyway, I wish that I had asked him to take a look at the brakes before I ordered all of the parts for a brake job. I'm seriously thinking of tucking my tail on Monday and asking the parts manager at the dealership if he would make an exception about no refunds for special order parts. I wish that I weren't so :tardbang: about mechanical things.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

Canada
Junior Admin

Post by Canada » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:56 am

Hmmm. That sucks David.

I know its a fair bit of $$, but if they wont return the parts, at least hold on to them and not have them installed, which should save you some money...

Keep them for when you do finally need them?

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:34 am

Canada wrote:Hmmm. That sucks David.

I know its a fair bit of $$, but if they wont return the parts, at least hold on to them and not have them installed, which should save you some money...

Keep them for when you do finally need them?
That's what I would do, just hang on to them, they're brake parts you WILL need them eventually.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:58 am

I had wondered if you truly needed brakes. Definitely hold on to them until you need them. At least you have them for when you do need them.

Or you could hold on to them until Carlisle :lol:
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:25 am

that CAI looks good. nice to see more upgrades.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:49 am

sorry about the luck, see if they will trade the brakes in for more Mopar accessories? They can always send the brakes back on the 30 day return to get full credit back for them.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:40 am

I question how many Mopar CAIs he has seen because it looks identical to mine lol

That's crappy that it didn't fit right though.

Does that bracket come with the CAI new to mount the vacuum lines to the battery tray? I bought mine used and didn't get that.
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:04 pm

BlackRoseRacing wrote:sorry about the luck, see if they will trade the brakes in for more Mopar accessories? They can always send the brakes back on the 30 day return to get full credit back for them.
I'm hoping that I can do this- I need to replace or upgrade the struts and would rather spend the cash in this area if I truly can wait for brakes.
sidepipe87 wrote:Does that bracket come with the CAI new to mount the vacuum lines to the battery tray? I bought mine used and didn't get that.
Yup, that part was included.

I asked my mechanic several times if we should just skip the install since the lower tube didn't want to fit properly but he said that it is wedged tightly enough that it shouldn't move around (even though I don't have solid motor mounts). I do trust his opinion- he worked at a Dodge dealership for several years before opening his own shop. Here is what he moved out of the way so that he could do my install.

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:18 pm

Wait. Who told you that you needed brakes in the first place?
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:27 pm

Here's the thing... I tend to do maintenance proactively so I had kind of filed this away in my head, that I would need new brakes this year. I had asked Jason his opinion when we were in the HW parking lot last year. He looked at what he could through my wheels and said that I probably had another year's wear left. Then add the fact that I have three pay periods this month and- voila, my decision to get new brakes. It seemed the right decision at the time.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:49 pm

sidepipe87 wrote: Does that bracket come with the CAI new to mount the vacuum lines to the battery tray? I bought mine used and didn't get that.
Yamaha R6 plate bracket works, or I can send you the one that I got with my AGP if you want it.

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:18 am

I just got back from the dealership (made a special trip there in the middle of my "night" as I am a day sleeper). Asked the parts manager about returning the special order brake parts and now he is really ticked off with me.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:32 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:I just got back from the dealership (made a special trip there in the middle of my "night" as I am a day sleeper). Asked the parts manager about returning the special order brake parts and now he is really ticked off with me.
so are they returning the parts or are they just pouting like little girls?
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:23 pm

He said that he may not be able to return them and that he may just have to keep them. He also said that I might have to pay a restocking fee. :shock: I was all set to order my next mod while I was there (checkbook in hand!) but, since he was upset with me, I didn't bring it up.

EDITED for bad grammar due to my being half-asleep when I posted this Monday morning.
Last edited by Midnight_Rider on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 pm

replied to your pm :thumbup:

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:03 pm

I don't understand how they can be "ticked off" or "upset" with you? You asked them a question, and they can either honor it or say no. Where's their butthurt come into play? No one is forcing them to take parts back or do anything, really. If anything Gramps, YOU oughta be sore in rear end haha.
el. oh. el.

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:48 am

^^I was embarrassed about having to ask about returning the parts and his being upset with me sure didn't help. Now I'm in limbo, waiting to see if I end up having to shell out money and then having nothing to show for it. :banghead:
BlackRoseRacing wrote:replied to your pm :thumbup:
Thanks!

asanti
2GN Member

Post by asanti » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:17 pm

Gramps, I'd "kindly" remind them that you've been giving them your business for over a decade (you said so yourself, I'm just too lazy to copy + quote you right now lol) and would appreciate this as a favor. They can either accept, or deny your request. If they'd deny you after being reminded that you're a loyal client of theirs it might be time to look elsewhere to take your business to. Just my .02, and I love the CAI by the way. :D

Later
Allex
Official "I drove my Neon till it died" member #??? Parted out the '01 so that she can live on through others! (Now driving + modding my '09 Chevy HHR SS!)
Mat00ES wrote:Find me a buyer and I'll sell some body parts for car parts.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:29 pm

asanti wrote:Gramps, I'd "kindly" remind them that you've been giving them your business for over a decade (you said so yourself, I'm just too lazy to copy + quote you right now lol) and would appreciate this as a favor. They can either accept, or deny your request. If they'd deny you after being reminded that you're a loyal client of theirs it might be time to look elsewhere to take your business to. Just my .02, and I love the CAI by the way. :D

Later
Allex
:withstupid:
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:32 am

Asanti, you read my mind. I've been doing business with this dealership since 1998, both service and parts. I think the problem is that, over time, the "relationship" between myself and the parts counter at the dealership has become too comfortable, enough so that they started relaxing their "cash at time of order for special parts" when I would order things. I used to ask if they wanted me to pay up front but finally quit after being told many times that it wouldn't be necessary. The guys there have always been patient with me (not many Mopar parts people would go on endless searches for BUX part numbers, etc. :lol: ) and they have always been generous with discounts. I didn't intend to give the parts manager any trouble and I do want to continue doing business with him. I just feel awful since my stupidity about car repairs has caused him mucho grief here. :oops:

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 am

Being a parts manager myself, I don't understand why he would have an issue with you retuning the parts. Loyal customers are the best thing a dealership can have, and just because you want to return the parts you got should be no major problem for them at all. I know Chrysler has made it more difficult/costly to return parts, but nothing to the degree that he should be upset. I'm sure if he looked at your purchase history and your return percentage he would see that you have been very good for buisness.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:40 am

Some people are just retardedly bad at their customer service job though, John.
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:13 am

Very true :(
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:04 am

The ironic thing about this is that I haven't even had the parts in my hands (they were holding them at the dealership for a service appointment that was scheduled for April 15th) nor have I paid one red cent for them (they never asked me to pay in advance or give a deposit). I'm well-known around there (like I wrote earlier, I even interviewed for a Service Writer position there years ago) so my purchasing history isn't a secret. Plus, the only thing that I have ever returned in over a decade was a Neon armrest (I had tried to order a leather armrest using a Motorsports Edition VIN- their suggestion about the VIN- and, when Chrysler shipped a vinyl one, I offered to pay for it but was told that it was okay and that they would return it).

I'm going to go back on Friday to talk with the parts manager and hope that the meeting will end with a handshake so that we can move forward.

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:14 pm

Sadly, handshakes don't mean much anymore.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:17 am

I've decided to wait and see if he calls me. I'm afraid that my parts discount is a thing of the past. :cussing:

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:34 am

18 days and I've heard nothing from the parts manager.

I've found another source for discounted parts so there may be another mod before Carlisle. :-$

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:51 am

how about before the 30th ;)
-Eric
"I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Promise Breaker
occasional demons wrote:"Official Support Vehicle" Just sayin'

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:38 am

ejclide wrote:how about before the 30th ;)
Ha-ha, I wish. Nah, still gotta save up that dough first.

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:02 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:Subliminal message: I still want to see the rusty bolts :rofl:
Driver's side front:
Passenger-side front:
I have the bolts but, since the falling out with the old dealership, I'll have to find someone else to install them.

I finally got around to replacing the rear spoiler stabilizers this afternoon.
Driver's side:
Passenger side:
I forgot to take pics of the old ones before I threw them out but, needless to say, they were pretty "pruned" compared to these.

I also discovered that my Dodge and SRT-4 badges are losing their "chrome" (peeling off). I can already hear people yelling, "Debadge!" but I'll just have to get some new ones put on. :banghead:

Return to “Progress/Project Log”