My '01 R/T log... Update - 7/9/11 Stripped the interior!

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
logikfive
2GN Member

My '01 R/T log... Update - 7/9/11 Stripped the interior!

Post by logikfive » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:06 pm

What better time than now (since I haven't really done anything to it yet) to start a log? Sooooo, I'm gonna start by saying I really have no plans for performance with it, I bought it as a daily beater and I need it reliable, not fast. I have other cars for that. So with the exception of an intake and exhaust system, I have no real big plans for performance.

Little bit of history.. I purchased it around the end of January '11. Chick owned car for 90% (That' s all I can account for at the moment) of the miles on it. The previous owners mother had purchased the car in 2007 with 26,000 miles. She purchased it off her in 2009. Since 2009 she had driven it back and forth from New York to California numerous times. When I bought the car it had 131,300 miles. I found the chick on Facebook about a month ago and began talking with her about it. She was real glad to know it's in good hands as she really enjoyed it; if the R/T had more space she would have kept it. She even went as far as giving it a name, which she called the R/T "Cosmic Charlie". Any chick that can drive a stick is OK in my book!

Plans -- Basically just a preliminary list, and will change/add things as it progresses. Green or yellow plans can most of the time be clicked if I've made a post outlining the upgrade/change. Click the item to jump to the post made containing the info!

1.) Replace fogged headlights & retrofit www.theretrofitsource.com MoriMoto Mini H1 projectors. Install DDM 55W 8000k HID's. ** Purchased and retrofitted **
2.) Repair MFS plug and replace switch. ** Installed new MFS plug and replaced switch with new **
3.) Replace fog lights with new. Install DDM 35W 3000k HID's. ** Installed new fogs and 3000k DDM HID's. **
4.) Replace rear section of exhaust w/ SRT4 unit. Install Spintech muffler in R/T midpipe. ** Purchased and installed SRT4 rear section, muffler will wait until decent weather arises **
5.) Remove carpeting from car and clean. ** Removed carpet, scrubbed and cleaned. **
6.) Sandblast, prime and paint rims gloss black using Imron 6000 Polyurethane, install new tires.
7.) Aquire a set of 15" Snowflake alloy rims for winter, install new studded snow tires.
8.) Replace sunroof assembly. ** Purchased used assembly from local U-pull.. Ended up repairing original sunroof assembly. **
9.) Locate and install new hood. SRT4 perhaps?
10.) Locate and install SRT4 rear bumper cover. Repaint front bumper and blend both.
11.) Lower. 1.5" of wheelgap would be nice instead of 4".
12.) Powerwash engine bay. Looks as if it hasn't been done since new. ** Powerwashed engine bay **
13.) Replace door emblems, or debadge.
14.) Color match the folding part of the side view mirrors.
15.) Replace driver door glass and window felts. Have windows tinted 5% all around (excluding front windsheild)
16.) Timing belt! Not sure if it was ever done but I will replace it anyway. Waiting for warmer weather.
17.) Repair non-working front corner lights. ** Installed new LED bulbs **
18.) Update entire audio system
19.) Exterior color match HVAC bezel ** Installed OEM Sport color matched bezel **
19.) Chrysler grille and air bag! ** Purchased air bag from local U-pull, grille from the Netherlands. Installed both **

Pictures

First photos:

New headlights and working fog lights.. Just waiting for my new fog housings and 3k HID's for the fogs.

SRT exhaust

Chrysler conversion half done :D (I'll reroute my wiring or possibly relocate the Sirius headunit once weather gets nice.. I was sick of listening to FM so I quickly installed it)

Installed a Pioneer headunit for USB/Aux inputs and future expansion.. Plan on adding a single 12" sub and amp in the summer time.

My MFS plug was pretty rotten looking. :shock: Shortly after fixing this, my MFS itself went bad and I lost my lowbeams. Yay, got a second chance to play with that damn clip. :roll:

New sunroof assembly ready to be installed... Just need the warm weather.

I got it inspected last weekend and the tires just barely pass. :rofl: They'll get me through the last steps of winter and summer (if they don't kill me first -- this thing is scary as shit in snow) and once next winter rolls around I'll hopefully have a set of 15" snowflakes with pure snow tires on them. I'll pull the Silverstones off and repaint the rims and get some new better summer tires on them.

Anyway that's all I have for now... Hopefully as weather gets nicer I'll start with the fun mods. :rockon:
Last edited by logikfive on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:19 am, edited 10 times in total.
'88 Conquest TSi SHP Intercooled Turbo 2.6L/5-Speed
'99 Durango SLT 5.9L 4x4 Supercharged
'78 Trans Am 467ci

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:33 pm

Good start!

I'm also interested in the Durango you've got...
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

DroopDaddy408
2GN Member

Post by DroopDaddy408 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:48 pm

Nice ride. Pretty smart plans you have for it. Keep us posted. And nice collection of cars you have. Trans Am ftw!!
NorCal Homeboy

Blivitt02
2GN Member

Post by Blivitt02 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:40 am

Car looks nice man!

Saw you were looking for snowflakes for winter wheels, I've got a pretty minty set, no curbing ever, low mileage, some very typical clearcoat issues (not much at all), and I'll even drag them down to carlisle with me if you are going and interested. Shoot me a PM!

logikfive
2GN Member

Post by logikfive » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Thanks guys!

My Durango has to be my favorite all purpose vehicle. I'll post up some pictures of it later. Possibly the Trans Am too :P

As far as the snowflakes, I may hit you up on that offer. I probably won't be going to Carlisle, but you never know. I'm going to scour the local yard and see if I can find a set. Not really a concern what condition they are in as they will be winter wheels, as long as they aren't bent.

Anyhow, I picked this up from the sale section on the forums (From Speeder) I was going to paint one but can't beat factory for quality. This is exactly what I wanted :D

'78 Trans Am 467ci

Tam
2GN Member

Post by Tam » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:05 pm

Nice add. The fake CF bezel doesn't look so great imo.

What's wrong with your current sunroof?

logikfive
2GN Member

Post by logikfive » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:17 pm

Tam wrote:Nice add. The fake CF bezel doesn't look so great imo.

What's wrong with your current sunroof?
Yeah I can't stand that fake CF look. Looks cheap IMO.

Nothing as far as functionality is wrong with the sunroof, the passenger side isn't actually "connected" in the rear. It may be something small and easily fixable but I'd rather just have a new assembly. It does grind every once and awhile, so I think maybe when it broke it stripped out a tooth or something. It also hangs up on the passenger side more than the drivers side when closed and going down the road at 70mph it will lift itself up and whistle. Pretty annoying.
'78 Trans Am 467ci

neonslg09
2GN Veteran

Post by neonslg09 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:08 pm

I had the same exact problem with my MFS.

logikfive
2GN Member

Post by logikfive » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:22 pm

Got my new Depo fogs. Pretty damn good quality for $110. I was praying to god they were the right ones. I couldn't find anything on a part number cross reference, and every site was telling me 01 fogs are 01 fogs, regardless if it's an R/T or not. :quotes: Thankfully they are the correct ones. :D

Now all I'm waiting on the HID's from DDMTuning, which apparently they have a pretty big backorder. Hopefully in a week or so I'll get them so I can install these!

'78 Trans Am 467ci

Speeder
2GN Member

Post by Speeder » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:05 pm

logikfive wrote:Thanks guys!

My Durango has to be my favorite all purpose vehicle. I'll post up some pictures of it later. Possibly the Trans Am too :P

As far as the snowflakes, I may hit you up on that offer. I probably won't be going to Carlisle, but you never know. I'm going to scour the local yard and see if I can find a set. Not really a concern what condition they are in as they will be winter wheels, as long as they aren't bent.

Anyhow, I picked this up from the sale section on the forums (From Speeder) I was going to paint one but can't beat factory for quality. This is exactly what I wanted :D

:thumbup:
i'm glad it went to a good home
enjoy
-Adam
2010 Jeep Liberty
2003 Dodge Neon SXT ATX SOLD :mopar: :eekdance:

logikfive
2GN Member

Post by logikfive » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Took care of the fogs and 3000k HID's tonight.. Figured I might as well so I can hit up the JY tomorrow morning and see if I can find a few things.

New installed, old turds on the ground. As you can see I removed both headlights to gain access. Took me about 30 minutes per side to swap 'em and about another 45 minutes to route the HID harness so it looked factory installed.

For a different log entry, I installed the HVAC bezel about2 weeks ago, but never took a really decent pic of it so I never updated the log.
'78 Trans Am 467ci

Trappy
2GN Member

Post by Trappy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:19 pm

Selling the old fogs?
-Ty

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #95

Tam
2GN Member

Post by Tam » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Trappy wrote:Selling the old fogs?
+1 I want them! lol

Looks great. Prefer all matched light color, but yellow fogs look good too.

Trappy
2GN Member

Post by Trappy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:02 pm

I do, too! But I don't wanna deal with installation. You take 'em, Tam (if he sells them)
-Ty

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #95

logikfive
2GN Member

Post by logikfive » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:44 pm

Yeah the old fogs are available for sale.. Send me a PM with an offer. Otherwise, I was going to list them in the for sale section. I will even throw in a brand new set of GE H10 halogen bulbs (came with my new lights but obviously I don't need them)

The passenger side bracket has the one tab broken off and missing, unfortunately. I didn't actually know it was broken until I pulled it out. They must have broke it when they repainted the front bumper.
'78 Trans Am 467ci

logikfive
2GN Member

Post by logikfive » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:21 am

Fixed the sunroof this weekend. Thankfully I didn't need a new sunroof, I was able to fix the one I had. The rollpin on the passenger side worked it's way almost entirely out, drivers side was half out. Explains why the passenger side of the sunroof would not catch on the latch in the rear to suck it down.

Wonder whose idea at Chrysler it was to use stainless rollpins in plastic?

Anyhow, I tapped them back in where they were supposed to be, and used a trick I learned in aircraft maintenance and threaded a peice of .010 stainless steel safety wire through, twisted it tight and curled the ends over. I should never have a problem with the rollpins backing out now :D While I was at it, I lubricated both tracks VERY well with liquid graphite spray. Previous owner had them sprayed with that yellow spray lube crap. Tried it out and it opens and closes perfectly now! :rockon:

Rear pin that would not engage with the rollpin almost out...

'78 Trans Am 467ci

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:58 am

How are the power locks working?
Great to see the car coming along nicely!
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #666
(she officially died in 2018 by being donated to a church...seriously)

logikfive
2GN Member

Post by logikfive » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:47 pm

BlackRoseRacing wrote:How are the power locks working?
Great to see the car coming along nicely!
Not a single issue.

Did you ever manage to get another RKE module? I'm probably heading to the JY this weekend and would be more than happy to pick up one for you. :thumbup:
'78 Trans Am 467ci

Dodge Aries K
2GN Member

Post by Dodge Aries K » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:02 pm

I want your interior!
-Karl Bonfiglio

logikfive
2GN Member

Post by logikfive » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Like I haven't heard that one already. :lol:

Got a Chrysler grille from the Netherlands! :D

Goes good with my Chrysler air bag!

'78 Trans Am 467ci

doubleb
n00b

Post by doubleb » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:28 am

When & where did you buy the RT ? I was looking at an RT like owned by a guy in West Seneca, NY. Nice job so far. I had an 02 SXT same color. Now have an 04 & 05 Srt 4.
Orange Blast 2005 SRT4
Silver 2004 SRT4
Red 2002 SXT (sold)
...my dad always said a car just needs to get you from here to there and back again. My SRT does that quite well thank you...

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:44 pm

I'm assuming your CD changer no longer works with the aftermarket headunit, right?
el. oh. el.

logikfive
2GN Member

Post by logikfive » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:14 pm

doubleb wrote:When & where did you buy the RT ? I was looking at an RT like owned by a guy in West Seneca, NY. Nice job so far. I had an 02 SXT same color. Now have an 04 & 05 Srt 4.
I bought it from a younger girl in Avon NY. It was listed on Craigslist. She was the second owner and it only had 26,000 miles on it when she got it in '07. It's a pretty much babied R/T. I paid $2500 for it. Where do you live?
FAC3L3SS wrote:I'm assuming your CD changer no longer works with the aftermarket headunit, right?
Correct. Everything worked before I put in the aftermarket radio, though. I needed USB and Aux support, that's the only reason I got rid of the factory radio. I don't listen to CD's anyway, my iPhone has all the music stored that I want to listen to.

Anyway, since I'm here I'll update this with a small update, my car was missing 2 of the centercaps when I bought it. I was able to find a pair of snowflakes at the local yard with two centercaps. Unfortunately they were different (machined aluminum) and my silverstones are painted. So I headed to work and mixed up some paint and sprayed them as close to the original color as I could. Came out great and are very close. They snapped right into the silverstones! :D Unfortunately I will be repainting them black with the wheels when it's time for new tires. Yes, my fender is dented. I bought it that way. I'll get it fixed sooner or later.

And of course a photo with my Durango :D
'78 Trans Am 467ci

logikfive
2GN Member

Post by logikfive » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Looks like I need tires sooner than I was planning. Not only that but something is obviously off with the alignment. I'll check it out this weekend and hopefully get whatever I need to fix it and order a set of tires. That tire was worn completely (though down to the wear bars) even when I bought the car, 5,000 miles ago now.

Anyway, I'm looking at a set of 205/50/16 Kumho Ecsta AST's... Anyone have any opinion on those? I want to buy from Discount Tire for the free shipping, but will consider other sources if they can offer a better tire for a marginal increase in price. Would like to spend $80-100 a tire, preferred. I'm also pretty picky about my tires, has to be a directional tread. Suggestions appreciated!

'78 Trans Am 467ci

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:25 pm

I ran those Kumho AST's on my old Neon, and they are what is currently on the turbo car.

They're pretty good. They don't last very long, but they drive just fine and look pretty good. That said, I won't buy another set of them....they're not good enough to get my repeat business, I'd rather try something else. But I'm putting touring tires on my R/T, and when I replace the yellow car's tires, I'll get some Dunlop Direzza's.

You might look at the Ecsta SPT too...
-Dave
2001 Dodge Neon R/T

logikfive
2GN Member

Post by logikfive » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:07 am

Got sick of opening the car door after work to come home and getting a really stank smell. The previous owner had a dog, and I'm certain it did it's business on the floor at least once. Not only that but if I dropped any money down between the seats I was afraid to reach down there and grab it there was so much crap.

Thinking it was going to take a long time to pull the carpet like it did in my Durango (Took two days, one day out and one day in) I put it off until now.

So heres what I did today...

Before:

Definitely topped my nasty-o-meter.

Got the carpet all out and vacuumed under the carpet..

After about two hours worth of spraying with a 50/50 mix of Castrol Super Clean and water, scrubbing my ass off, I finally got the water coming out of the carpet to be crystal clear. Shop vac'd all the heavy water out and now have the carpet hanging outside drying. Hopefully it will be ready to install tomorrow. Also did my floormats in the same matter.

The pressure washer I used, best $300 I've spent.. I use this thing way more than I thought I would.

I never updated the log for this, but a week or so ago I degreased and powerwashed the engine compartment as well.

Before:

After:
'78 Trans Am 467ci

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:50 am

Wow that interior gave me the oogies when you posted pictures of it. My SXT was horrid when we first bought it too. I did almost the exact same thing I was so skeeved out by it. Very nice work, looks good :)

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:37 am

Holy crap! That may be the nastiest interior I have ever seen. You did some amazing work there!
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

Tam
2GN Member

Post by Tam » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:38 pm

Nice work! You must've gotten a nice workout from scrubbing. lol

logikfive
2GN Member

Post by logikfive » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:25 am

Yeah, it wasn't the most fun experience... However I put the carpet back in cleaned the rest of the interior back in but I got sidetracked and never took any photos of that today but I will tomorrow...

I took the opportunity to buff, wax and debadged the trunklid.. I left the 2.0i 16valve emblem (even though I know it's incorrect for the car).. I think she came out pretty nice...

I'll get some better pictures tomorrow with a real camera and not my cellphone..
'78 Trans Am 467ci

Return to “Progress/Project Log”