Out of Gas - Hurst Equipped

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:47 am

But it's soooo comfortable now :3
02 Neon R/T(Blackula) - Old and busted
05 SRT-4(Serenity) - Sold
20th Anniversary Golf GTI - Sold
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

LilSparkPlug wrote:Mmmm beefy :rofl:

DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:04 pm

Finally painted the injector cover. Image

What. I need to update this thing :P
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Tam wrote:The rear is now too high. lol
Silver side markers weigh more. :lol:
Bill
Probably shouldn't listen to anything your penis says, that guy's a dick.
Patience, of course, is a very powerful weapon, but sometimes I start to regret that it is not a firearm.
Too much time spent here is a sign of a bad case of Ownaneonvirus.

2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap

DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:40 am

The rears are a lot looser now. I guess they just need to be used again ;P

I'll get a picture...later. Sometime. The back doesn't look nearly as high as in that one pic.
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Sat May 05, 2012 9:00 pm

I was supposed to drive up to Prescott with my buddy for some fun twisties, but I had a problem this morning that made me have to cancel the trip >.<

Before I left the house, I made sure the tires, oil, and coolant were all good. But I forgot to put the radiator cap back on. /Moron

I got about 1/2 a mile from home when I noticed it. Lost half my coolant by the time I limped it back home. Thankfully it didn't overheat. Spent 40 minutes or so cleaning out the engine bay and front of the car. Went through, like, half a bottle of Simple Green :P

Didn't have any antifreeze so I filled up with clean water. But I really didn't want to do any heavy driving like that. And my friend was getting impatient since he'd been waiting on me for an hour. So I just told him to go ahead without me :(

ANYWAYS. I guess that was a good thing, cause even though I didn't get to enjoy a nice drive, I did get some things done that have been on my to-do list.

After draining the water from the radiator and filling it back up with coolant, I hit up a muffler shop :D

I never did like the oval tips. They looked like crap in the round cutouts.

Before:

Now:

Tips are from a 350Z. Same friend I was gonna go to Prescott with had a muffler laying around. He's been planning on using it for something, and just never cared about the tips >:3

I'm really happy with the look now. My exhaust actually looks like it's meant for the car now :P

Also, i'm going to be driving out to LA at the end of the month. My exhaust is super droney on the inside and i've been dreading a 5 hour drive with it the way it is. I was going to have the muffler shop install a resonator, but I did a little research first.

Butt plug!

It's a 3" plumbing test plug, sprayed with Plasti Dip.
Forms a seal around the edge, which blocks any gasses from escaping. Eliminated all droning from inside :D It's like magic.

The drone doesn't really bother me around town. But if i'm going to be spending a large amount of time on the highway, I can stick the plug in and enjoy a quiet ride ^.^
Best $5 spent so far :P

I'll get an electric cut-out eventually. But I needed a solution now, and this works better than I could have imagined.
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sat May 05, 2012 10:09 pm

DetergentCandy wrote: ....
Also, i'm going to be driving out to LA at the end of the month. My exhaust is super droney on the inside and i've been dreading a 5 hour drive with it the way it is. I was going to have the muffler shop install a resonator, but I did a little research first.

Butt plug!

It's a 3" plumbing test plug, sprayed with Plasti Dip.
Forms a seal around the edge, which blocks any gasses from escaping. Eliminated all droning from inside :D It's like magic.

The drone doesn't really bother me around town. But if i'm going to be spending a large amount of time on the highway, I can stick the plug in and enjoy a quiet ride ^.^
Best $5 spent so far :P

I'll get an electric cut-out eventually. But I needed a solution now, and this works better than I could have imagined.
How does the "Butt Plug" help with the interior resonance ?
I put a Moroso spiral flow muffler in my mid-pipe for the same problem, but it ended-up costing about $100 for the whole project
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Sun May 06, 2012 2:34 pm

It's the passenger side outlet that causes the drone, since it crosses under the trunk - that's where the resonance comes from.

If you block off that side, all gasses are forced through the driver side. Straight pipes shouldn't cause a drone. It's when you add a y-split that you screw up the acoustics.

I'm not sure how this would work with a stock/MPX exhaust, since both sides are equal length. But my exhaust is like the Mopar exhaust. Passenger side is longer than the driver side, as it splits off right after the axle.

How is your exhaust with the Spiral Flow? No drone?
I was considering that route, or a Vibrant resonator. But I like this set-up more, now. Loud most of the time. But quite if I want to road-trip :)
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sun May 06, 2012 4:34 pm

I'm very hard of hearing (wear two hearing aids) so my perception may not be the same as most Neon owners.

The car was unbearably loud with no cat and the Mopar 2.5 inch "cat back" exhaust system. Since I added the
Moroso muffler, it's loud, but a pleasant sound, and I can hear the "Kicker" sound system at highway speeds.

Based on your explanation, I'm going to try the "butt plug" on the passenger side. :thumbup:
05 Dodge SRT-4

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun May 06, 2012 5:33 pm

Noobie here- doesn't this affect your engines ability to "breathe"? I would think that this would lower your gas mileage if nothing else. Enlighten me, please.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sun May 06, 2012 5:45 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:Noobie here- doesn't this affect your engines ability to "breathe"? I would think that this would lower your gas mileage if nothing else. Enlighten me, please.

:rofl: :rofl: I never think about gas mileage with my SRT-4, I already owned an 2005 SXT (purchased new) when I bought the used 2005 SRT-4.
05 Dodge SRT-4

DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Sun May 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Midnight_Rider wrote:Noobie here- doesn't this affect your engines ability to "breathe"? I would think that this would lower your gas mileage if nothing else. Enlighten me, please.
I wouldn't think so.
Factory exhaust is 2.25" from the turbo all the way back to the tips.

My exhaust is 3" from the downpipe to the axle, and then 2.5" to the tips.
So even with one side plugged, I don't see how gas mileage will be affected.
It would be the same as if I ran a 2.5" exhaust all the way back.
I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me.

If anything, I figure my top-end power will be affected, but I may gain a little in the bottom-end. I'm already only getting 26 mpg as is, so another mpg less isn't going to be shocking :/
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

trojmn
2GN Member

Post by trojmn » Sun May 06, 2012 8:56 pm

DetergentCandy wrote:thIt's the passenger side outlet that causes the drone, since it crosses under e trunk - that's where the resonance comes from.

I'm not sure how this would work with a stock/MPX exhaust, since both sides are equal length.
A couple years ago, I plugged the DRIVERS side when i had a SRT rear section. I used an expandable rubber freeze plug. It really mellowed it out. The equal length may be why the drivers side seemed quieter.

Tro
03 SRT
Now building for GS ;-)

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sun May 06, 2012 11:57 pm

The reason for the drone is because of the dual outlets, not the length of pipe. The same sound coming out of 2 places is perceived as a 6db increase in noise.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/160541

When I put the dual exhaust on my SXT it added a lot of bass resonance, but if I plugged up one exit it got reasonable. My NYG right now gets really droney at 3500 RPM's because of the dual outlet muffler.
So many neons so little time.

DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Mon May 07, 2012 3:35 am

Oooooooh

Thanks, Jerry! :thumbup:

So it would still have the same affect on a stock exhaust. :D
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon May 07, 2012 3:40 am

Off-topic but I remember reading posts on the 'net about exhaust droning in stock SRT's and I was worried about that before I bought mine. I don't ever remember it being any more annoying (if you want to call it that) than the exhausts on my two SXT's. The Borla exhaust I have now doesn't really drone at all.

DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Thu May 17, 2012 8:34 pm

Interesting. I can't comment on what a stock exhaust sounds like, sadly, since i've never been in an SRT with a stock one :P

They're not too droney?
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

Midnight_Rider

Post by Midnight_Rider » Fri May 18, 2012 12:59 am

Nah, but, even if they were, I wanted my car to sound like an old Hemi anyway ("thug-thuh-thug-thuh"). :lol:

DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Update on California trip: with the exhaust plug in, it cut out all drone on the 6 hour drive. It was amazing. Best cheap mod ever.
I averaged 27-28 mpg there and back. That was with 2 other people in the car, luggage, AC on, and doing 75-80 mph most of the time. That's good MPG, right? I'm not sure what I should be getting :P

Picked up a DSP from Nick(Wheels04SXT) last night!
Decided to hold off on a short shifter when I saw he was selling his DSP. I'll get the shifter later.

I have the AC charger and the USP cable, but he lost the software disk a while ago. Am I SOL on that? Can I get the software online? Do I have to call Diablo? Will they charge me out the butt for a replacement disk? Does someone have a spare one sitting around? :P

Next I need some gauges, before I even start messing with the Pred.
I'm gonna get a new boost gauge, oil pressure gauge, and wideband.

I really like the look of Prosport. I always hear good and bad things. Some love 'em. Some hate them. So i'm just gonna get 'em and find out for myself.

Biggest question would be the accuracy of their wideband. AEM seems to be the de facto for A/F gauges, but i'd like to keep all my gauges the same. I hate mix'n'matching.
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:29 pm

DetergentCandy wrote:Picked up a DSP from Nick(Wheels04SXT) last night!
Decided to hold off on a short shifter when I saw he was selling his DSP. I'll get the shifter later.

I have the AC charger and the USP cable, but he lost the software disk a while ago. Am I SOL on that? Can I get the software online? Do I have to call Diablo? Will they charge me out the butt for a replacement disk? Does someone have a spare one sitting around? :P
http://www.modernperformance.com/produc ... lectronics
05 Dodge SRT-4

DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:09 pm

I know that, but I was hoping to not have to spend the $40 when I already have the hardware. Just need the drivers >.<
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:25 pm

NEVERMIND I'M DUMB

I can download the drivers from their website. Hah.
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:42 pm

I thought about what STS to get for a long time. Wanted the Hurst ever since I heard MP was bringing them back, but then got a little skeptic when I started hearing people talk about the quality of the kit.

Some people have said their Hurst felt squishy/spongy, and that their Mopar/Maddog we definitely a tighter and more solid shifter. Which may very well be true! But, all I have to compare my Hurst to is stock :P

So to me, it's brilliant! The throws feel a little less than 50% shorter. Hurst claims 35% so that seems right to me. Gear engagement is solid. It REALLY tightened up my 5th gear. That's the gear that always felt soft and squishy when shifting into it. But now it's tighter. More gooder.

I also like that the shaft is a bit taller - the ball sits at a more comfortable height. I do think they could have used more solid cradle bushings, though. They claim "Solid shifter base bushings improve the firm feel of your shifts and the shfiter."
But they're definitely not solid. In fact, they're probably the same stuff Boogers are made out of. More solid than the stock rubber bushings! But not "solid".

I'm definitely happy with my purchase :) Coming from a stock setup, this is a great short throw shifter for daily driving.

I've rolled over 12000 miles on my rebuild. Didn't even realize it >.< Running strong without issues!
Made two trips to LA, safe and sound. Tires were wearing funny, so I got it aligned. Big-O Tires said I was too low for their ramps O.o I'm only on S1 springs and i'm too low? Had to go to a shop with an open pit.

Attempted the Home Depot radiator hard pipe mod again. Without success :/

I dunno. I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong. Everything was fine until it got up to operating temperature, and then it popped off on the passenger side. Thankfully I was just testing it in the driveway this time.

VERY hesitant to try again, considering a new hose costs $30. I could have bought a JMB pipe by now :P
I still have the hard pipe, and it's undamaged. But I don't want to chop up another hose and waste another $30 if it fails again.
Bah. I loved looking at it when it was on though :3
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:39 pm

Get constant torque clamps from a trucking company, those are what worked to keep mine nice, tight and leak free. Although I do have a JMB pipe not the Home depot one.

LowNSlow

Post by LowNSlow » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:51 pm

I used plain on worm clamps on mine and it held just fine.
-John

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:22 pm

LowNSlow wrote:I used plain on worm clamps on mine and it held just fine.
That's exactly what I'm using, and mine's been holding fine since I put it on earlier in the year. Then again, I have an SXT and my pipe sits a little more parallel to the radiator, so I don't know if that helps to keep it stable...
Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... :(

DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:09 pm

If I DO try it again, i'll make sure I actually have a spare radiator hose on hand, in case it fails again. Last two times I was out of luck for a day while the part was ordered.

Does the JMB hardpipe have a lip on the ends to prevent it from blowing out?
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

Return to “Progress/Project Log”