chew*'s 01 Neon Mtx Project

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:40 pm

Where is the like button? :thumbup:

MY PROJECT LOG My Old 2002 ES AND My 2003 SXT

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:50 pm

That dude....is scary.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:58 pm

The code is a tad off but it def gives me a general idea.

Blackcherry looks good with no wing when done right.

I could probably get away with a little darker paint code on exterior without a "proper" color change and it really wouldn't be to noticeable.

I could probably do something about a place to paint, fully enclosed car port would work ok in spring. Now it's to cold to get away with that though.
Last edited by chew* on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:13 pm

That miss...is the point. Lol But seriously the black cherry looks awesome!

It is not that we cannot be friends, it's that you are a zombie, and I am almost out of ammo. -Someone

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:27 pm

D-Railed_Neon wrote:That miss...is the point. Lol But seriously the black cherry looks awesome!
Nightmares I say. Nightmares. :shock:

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:50 pm

Lol sorry, LSP. You will never enjoy a Willem Dafoe movie the same way again......my bad

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:09 am

I think you may be on to something :rofl:

D-Railed_Neon
2011 Bronze Contributor

Post by D-Railed_Neon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:34 pm

lols and whatnot.... :lol:

Lookin good Chew! :rockon:

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:42 am

I see you!! When you flew by me I saw the car, then looked at the roof and realized it was you so I caught up to you to wave. I did wave....did you see it through the tint? LOL

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:36 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:I see you!! When you flew by me I saw the car, then looked at the roof and realized it was you so I caught up to you to wave. I did wave....did you see it through the tint? LOL
Yah I saw you way back on the 95/195 split weaving your way through traffic.

Figured i would get your attention with a fly by.

Couldn't see through tint though heh.

First time i've seen that car on road.

Car is even dirtier, but despite all the hard running it's DDing fine since I rebuilt the trans.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:03 am

:rofl: I did wave, I went to roll the window down but I just wasn't fast enough! The tint is really dark, 15% on the front three, 2% on the rear three but I adore it. You definitely got my attention that's for sure! Mine is filthy too but they said it was going to rain so I didn't clean him. :\

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:47 pm

So I had 2 rust spots on pass side......I hate rust.

I already knew it was at the cut/remove point so finally decided to find out how bad it was. I tapped on it with a hammer and quite a bit fell out.

I decided to cut out the areas so I could determine how much of a clip I needed and how much further it went in, after I sealed her with etching primer and gave her a much needed bath.

All this was caused by improper body work prior it seems. There was a small hole from wheel well side that salt and sand was getting in it seems.......you can see it in one of the pics.

All cleaned up.

Since she did so well under surgery I figured I would give her a little attention. Took her swaybar down to metal, laid a coat of primer on it, laid a coat of paintable undercoating on it, then hit it with chrysler flame red and clear. Will reinstall tommorow.

Upstairs ready to take a palmolive bath after grinding down to bare metal.

primer coat

undercoat

Had to lay the red on heavy with the black undercoat.

Car in background is another project case your wondering.....but a very short project.....

It's getting a tug, some bodywork, a door and goes to maaco when thats all done.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:25 am

I used to the love the Venges, that a 99/00 body? When are you patching up the quarter or are you just putting a uni-side on it?

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:56 am

LilSparkPlug wrote:I used to the love the Venges, that a 99/00 body? When are you patching up the quarter or are you just putting a uni-side on it?
It's a 97 venge with a 2.5 v6 with a auto trans that surprisingly shifts perfect.

Not sure on which way to procede yet till I tug it and use the hydraulic set to push stuff back out from the inside. Door is definitely a replace though. It's about 6" pushed in.

Door opens and closes with no effort which is rather suprising considering extent of the damage.

Neon I think I'm doing a halfway clip. Stop at drivers door line and a few inches above the wheel well cut. I didn't cut it all out yet as I felt the car would lose some integrity strength wise but i still needed to know how far rust traveled from the backside of rocker panel. I'm about to pull it off the road because at this point I don't have many choices.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:24 pm

For anyone interested there is a RED 02 MTX down at my buddies JY, runs/drives fine 130ish K, rear bumper clearcoat gone, drivers side wheel well needs attention ASAP, drivers back door tapped just slightly. Pass side wheel well surface rust. Interior in good shape for miles.

Engine bay looks clean for miles, it wasn't cleaned for the sale though, you can see the typical oil seapage from camsensor.

Wants $1k. Little to rich for my blood for another parts car but for someone looking for an MTX it's got potential still.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:56 pm

I need to inhabit this JY now that I'm off from classes.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:52 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:I need to inhabit this JY now that I'm off from classes.
Anytime you want to go just say the word.

This is actually another place, capital city salvage. It's a guy I know theres car, got it from auction today. Probably paid $500 for it.

I have him on the prowl for a solar yellow hit in nose or rear with good doors for ya :) will be cheaper that way.

I'm connected with alot of junkyards, some I frequent more often than others but alot of times the others have something if i can't find it.

I also have auction connections. My venge I paid $500 for. Runs and drives straight despite the damage, got a door lined up for it for $75. Wife drives that, it was a spur of the moment thing when her hyundai had an engine bay fire. I needed a driveable car guy needed $500 win win.

Funny story but one of my friends way back nicknamed me junkyard as I always managed to find some hunk of junk and turn it into something less junky or really nice.

Venge will be less junky, it's a temp vehicle. Rockers are a total loss on it though, not worth it IMO.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:05 pm

Finding an SY is like a needle in a haystack it seems. Advance had one a couple of years back but I didn't need the parts at the time.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:33 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:Finding an SY is like a needle in a haystack it seems. Advance had one a couple of years back but I didn't need the parts at the time.
They are to bright to "hit" If you hit one of those and say I never saw it you were likely over the legal limit :P

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:33 pm

Ok went and looked at an R/T for sale today, laid down till feeling went away as far as buying it.....

Decided to follow a lead on a 3" cat back I had seen NIB for $100 so went and checked it out.

Looked just like the MPX single drivers side out srt-4 exhaust I have seen floating around.

It also looks like Grade A 101% Rice, I'm fairly certain I am ripping the fartcan off and just running a straight pipe out....I bought it for the piping anyway.

Fortunately it doesn't sound ricey at all and also where it connects it has like a "downsize 2 1/8" pipe before it hits 3" so I should be ok with current mods, later trim out the smaller pipe, install a 3" res and go.

I'll post some pics up tommorow after I sort out one issue i had with it.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:35 pm

Bought a car today for wifey ( she has always wanted an 02-06 body nissan altima ) and am finalizing sale on a neon parts only car ( has title issues )

From what I can see body wise it's a cream puff.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:24 pm

Does look rather good on the outside, nice find

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:39 pm

Looks like an ebay 3" fart can exhaust to me. They are pretty good quality and are $100 new on ebay
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:12 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:Does look rather good on the outside, nice find
Even better for $300 no? It runs and drives fine, he's not sure how brakes are.
sidepipe87 wrote:Looks like an ebay 3" fart can exhaust to me. They are pretty good quality and are $100 new on ebay
Yah no clue, it sounds good, maybe a tad loud for my taste ( drones in cabin ) and looks ugly as sin. sounds like a cross between an srt-4 with a borla factory exhaust and a subaru wrx.

I'm just glad it's not raspy.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Going out tommorow to pay for the 02 neon, picking it up wednesday.

After that it's time to hit the body work on my car hard.

This car I grabbed is going to save me alot of time and trips to JY.

Only thing I will need is a front and rear bumper cover and lights off an 03-05.

I already have a power sun roof clip same color as the new parts car......

Yay or nay to the sunroof, shall I do it or go with the parts car solid roof.

At most it might cost me 25Lbs weight wise, easily negated by removing spare tire.

How many people have leak issues that have a sunroof?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:45 pm

If the parts car is cleaner rust wise than your car, swap the inner dash panels (VIN) and use the parts car with your title. Or the shell with your body panels. There may be some VIN stickers in side the trunk area, but other than that, the rest would be more difficult to find. The body panels are easy enough to explain: "they came off another car".

Of course paint matching will be necessary, if you use your panels, but you were doing body work anyways. Just paint the shell to match.

Unless you use the car to murder someone, it won't ever get looked into to that extent. And if it does, it means you got caught, and have bigger issues. :lol:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:06 pm

occasional demons wrote:If the parts car is cleaner rust wise than your car, swap the inner dash panels (VIN) and use the parts car with your title. Or the shell with your body panels. There may be some VIN stickers in side the trunk area, but other than that, the rest would be more difficult to find. The body panels are easy enough to explain: "they came off another car".

Of course paint matching will be necessary, if you use your panels, but you were doing body work anyways. Just paint the shell to match.

Unless you use the car to murder someone, it won't ever get looked into to that extent. And if it does, it means you got caught, and have bigger issues. :lol:
I actually pondered that but.......I have a black past that follows me around from when I was young and dumb....in my case I'm going to have to do this the hard/legit way.

There is one advantage. You can sit back later and say I did this. Sort of like the same appreciation someone has for building up a 2.0 sohc turbo, versus the guy that just goes and buys a already turbo'd car. It's not that big of a job really, I'm just eliminating the body filler equasion. With that eliminated I can hang/weld and do prep work and send it for paint myself.

There's actually vins everywhere, theres a vin on seatbelts if you pull them all the way out, they checked them on one of my previous cars.

srimes
2GN Member

Post by srimes » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:51 pm

chew* wrote:...Excuse my wheelhop...
What motor mounts do you have?

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:39 pm

srimes wrote:
chew* wrote:...Excuse my wheelhop...
What motor mounts do you have?
Very old weak stock mounts atm for experimental purposes.

Since using the bad mounts, no broken axles, no blown peg leg launch diff issues.

The mounts are taking all the abuse. Doesn't do wonders for ETA's.....but a broken car has no ETA's ;)

srimes
2GN Member

Post by srimes » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Stock mounts are easier on the drivetrain? I thought that wheelhop was worse due to the shock loading.

Maybe I shouldn't fill my mounts then.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”